Author Topic: Odd regional expressions  (Read 35477 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Odd regional expressions
« on: November 08, 2008, 11:33:22 AM »
Being a student of sociology with some interest in anthropology, I have always been fascinated by expressions which appear to have started in a particular part of the country, in some cases a specific state.  Such things as the saying attributed to a farmer in Vermont who told a tourist, "Yep, that old Jones farm shore is a sight to see, but you can't get theah from heah."

Or the popular expression supposedly originating in Texas.  "I tell you what!"

I was near a man yesterday who was muttering under his breath while struggling to get a project done.  I couldn't quite catch his words, but it seemed to have to do with a small amorous primate having an illicit relationship with a football.  Any of you know the phrase and where it originated?  He mentioned Oklahoma for some reason.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Odd regional expressions
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 11:44:47 AM »
I am not sure where it came from, but I have known about the phrase for over 30 years. When working operations and attempting to write a cohesive flight schedule while we were doing a real time prosecution of a soviet sub during the "cold" war it was used on a frquent basis.

If it helps, I was raised in Oklahoma.   :lol:

bob

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 11:46:43 AM »
Being a student of sociology with some interest in anthropology, I have always been fascinated by expressions which appear to have started in a particular part of the country, in some cases a specific state.  Such things as the saying attributed to a farmer in Vermont who told a tourist, "Yep, that old Jones farm shore is a sight to see, but you can't get theah from heah."

As far as I know, "Ya cahn't get theah from heah" is a Maine-ism, not Vermont.

I've just never been able to figure out why, here, a shopping cart is a carriage.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 12:07:00 PM »
Either WV or KY, a soft drink is "pop" and goes in a "poke".

Pop is not that unusual, but I thought poke (referring to a bag, sack, or parcel) had become archaic.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

ramis

• friend
  • Rawr!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 12:23:27 PM »
I've never heard anyone use the expression "poke" here in KY.

Depending on how fer back in a holler ya'll live, you might use the expression "it's untelling" meaning "who knows" or "it anyone's guess"

The limerick, peculiar to English,
Is a verse form that's hard to extinguish,
Once congress, in session,
Decreed it's suppression,
But people got around it by writing the last line without any rhyme or meter.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 12:26:04 PM »
When my dad moved to Virginia Beach and had people tell him, "You're from Ahoskie (NC)!" it weirded him out.  But then one time he went to Chicago and a guy there told him the same thing.  Turned out his wife was from Colerain.

Dunno what it is about what we say or how we say it, but it's pretty unique.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 12:43:20 PM »
In Iowa we measure driving distances by time and not by miles.

We worsh our clothes, George Worshington was the first president and Worshington, IA.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 12:58:48 PM »
We're guilty of the distance in time not miles thing here too.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 01:05:43 PM »

That one may have originated in New England, but perhaps not in Vermont. (Or perhaps so.) I encountered it as a kid back in the mid-1950s as the punch line in one of the stories on a record of Down East (Maine) lore by the name "Bert & I." The lead-up was a bit more involved, but it ended with, "Come ta think of it ... you can't get theah from heah."

Can't help you regarding primates and footballs, though.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 01:39:58 PM »
In my area there's "How you doin'?"

In the Scranton, PA area there is (or was) an expression, "Hainna?" it's like a transmutation of, "Ain't ya?" As in "You're going to do that, hainna?"
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 01:48:36 PM »
I've noticed that here, the only people with a pronounced New England "pahk the caah" sort of accent are older sorts. The accent is entirely gone among anyone under age 50 or so, that I've seen.

New York has a LOT of strong accents within a close area, which I find amusing.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 02:17:41 PM »
I grew up in Pennsylvania Dutch country. LOTS of fantastic phrases have crept into the common lexicon, and not all of them are just from the Amish. HUGE numbers of Germans settled in Pennsylvania.

My favorite, and one that used to baffle the living hell out of my ex-wife -- We need to redd up the house.

Other good ones from my childhood...

make out the light.

it makes down rain.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 05:42:05 PM »
...make out the light.

That was popular on Milwaukee's south side with Germans and Poles. My MIL still says that.

Saying, "I'm going by Target" means you're going to Target, not past it. Also used is "going down by Target." I don't know how that evolved.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 06:12:38 PM »
In Canada carts are called buggies and rubber bands are called elastics. Oh the joys of living on the border. Also Canadian and UP accents are different, and calling a Yooper Canadian can be considered fight'n words in some parts.
Look, tiny text!

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 06:32:55 PM »
"Ya cahn't get theah from heah"

What does that mean?

I think the carts are also buggies in olde England. 

The monkey-and-football expression is popular in the army, or at least that's where I've heard it.  (Georgia and Texas)  Another one I heard in the military was "You're as ate up as Hogan's goat."  Like to know where that comes from.

I know a guy from central Illinois, but his family has roots in Missouri and Indiana.  He says stuff I'd never heard before, like "clean his plow" (criticize him, tell him off) and "as poor as Job's turkey."

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 06:40:43 PM »
I've only heard the monkey/football thing in southern Jawja, if that helps.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 07:12:07 PM »
"Ya can't get theah from heah, ya got to go around"

I know my Georgia peach aunt used to say, "I'm going to cook a cake"
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 08:06:49 PM »
Down here I'll occasionally hear people wanting a dope and nabs.
<coke (not soda) and cheese crackers>
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 08:58:49 PM »
The Monkey/Football one is used up here in Milwaukee too. Usually though I hear it in connection with someone riding a brand/make of motorcycle the other person is degrading. Monkey = Rider, Football = Fuel Tank.

Also, for boomers and gen-x it's common to hear people ask where the "Time (Tyme) Machine is?" Meaning the ATM, because the first ATM network in Milwaukee/SE Wisconsin, was TYME (Take Your Money Everywhere), I know in other regions people ask for the "MAC machine" (Money Access Center) or the "Plus Machine", but those from Milwaukee who slip up and say it elsewhere, it's funny because you get a damn funny look, like you're wondering where the DeLorean and Doc Brown just zipped off to.

Also in Milwaukee besides Monkeyleg's "Go by Walmart" example, is the use of "bubbler" for water fountain. Because progressive Milwaukee in the late 1800's/early 1900's was one of the first cities to have the constantly percolating public drinking fountains that "bubbled up" and didn't have a button or knob to turn.

And you don't notice it, but there is lots of that reverse syntax like "make out the light" or "It's over where the street bends the corner around" because of the heavy German and Polish immigrant background we have.
I promise not to duck.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 10:01:09 PM »
"I'm going by Target"

Oh hell, I say that all the time.

Then there's the "This X calls for Y." As in, this recipe calls for eggs, instead of requires .
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2008, 10:12:38 PM »
One thing everyone around here says as far as getting coffee is just "I'm stopping at dunk's, you want anything?"

There is literally a dunkin' donuts on every corner. I am not kidding. I used their locator, and there are 47 of them within a ten mile radius. And every morning, every single one of them has a line out the driveway.

Eleven Mike

• friends
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2008, 10:24:36 PM »
Also, for boomers and gen-x it's common to hear people ask where the "Time (Tyme) Machine is?" Meaning the ATM, because the first ATM network in Milwaukee/SE Wisconsin, was TYME (Take Your Money Everywhere), I know in other regions people ask for the "MAC machine" (Money Access Center) or the "Plus Machine", but those from Milwaukee who slip up and say it elsewhere, it's funny because you get a damn funny look, like you're wondering where the DeLorean and Doc Brown just zipped off to.

Isn't there a time machine down by Costco, next to the law school? 

Then there's the "This X calls for Y." As in, this recipe calls for eggs, instead of requires.

Dudn't everybody say that?  ???

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2008, 10:32:16 PM »
Yeah, we had MAC machines in Pennsylvania come to think of it!

"I have to stop at the MAC."

Common phrase heard as we were growing up.

Eleven Mike

• friends
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2008, 10:46:51 PM »
"Ya can't get theah from heah, ya got to go around"

I have NEVER heard anybody say that.  What does that mean? 

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2008, 10:51:06 PM »
From Wisconsin: the common "Can I come with?" or "Do you want to go with?".
Andy