Author Topic: Awesome fishing pictures!  (Read 5555 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Awesome fishing pictures!
« on: November 16, 2008, 09:36:52 AM »
I know these are probably all photoshopped or staged or,,,BUT here you go!  =D

http://www.miguellasa.com/photos/sspopup.mg?AlbumID=1001578

Avoid cliches like the plague!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Awesome fishing pictures!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 10:44:57 AM »
Neither photoshopped or staged IMHO and yes, they are awesome!
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 11:18:15 AM »
Neither photoshopped or staged IMHO and yes, they are awesome!
Agreed.  The only one that caused a bit of doubt was the egret with the really big fish in its beak.  Just seemed like the fish was too big for it to actually catch by itself.  That said, I am not an expert on the feeding habits of big, white, egret-like birds.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 11:34:15 AM »
Great photos.  Thanks for sharing.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 11:34:26 AM »
What's the big brown hawk called? Cool pics.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 11:39:33 AM »
I doubt they were shopped, I was only kidding. Nope, that egret probably gulped that baby right down longways. I like #4 (I think it is) the bird looks like it's saying, "This is MY fish, you go get your own!"  :laugh:

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 10:54:03 AM »
What's the big brown hawk called? Cool pics.

The first one?  Osprey.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 12:35:20 PM »
I'd guess a Perigrine falcon, but could be osprey. I've never seen either in the wild. Awesome pics!

Thanks for posting.

Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 02:20:00 PM »
Definitely an osprey (aka, Fish Eagle).

It could've been taken on the Banana River in Florida (My former backyard), seeing how many of them are there.

I was always amazed at the osprey's lift-to-weight ratio when they snagged big fish and flew home with them.   :O
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 02:24:41 PM »
Yep Osprey!

There is a lake south of where I live where they released a pair of Osprey. We would catch Sheep's Heads once in a while trolling for crappie and run a knife in their heads and toss them overboard. After a while the Osprey would come down and pick up one of the floating fish and head back to their roost to eat. Pretty cool to watch.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 03:01:43 PM »
Anyone else notice the band on the Osprey's left leg?

Fish and Game Department - banded for tracking?

Or a trained bird used for fishing?
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 10:53:05 PM »
The osprey had two fish in #32, one in each claw.  Wow...
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 01:45:19 AM »
Anyone else notice the band on the Osprey's left leg?

Fish and Game Department - banded for tracking?

Or a trained bird used for fishing?

Probably the former, though it may have been someone other than F&G.  Lots of raptors are banded for tracking so that they can keep data on their movements, population, etc.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 01:53:38 AM »
Picture 38 with the back-lighting shows just how light those birds are.

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Peter Ratner

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 03:04:18 AM »
They look like Ospreys and a Great Blue Heron to me. Judging from the fish (which appear to be trout) my guess is that they were taken somewhere other than Florida.
You can't believe one thing and do another. What you believe and what you do are the same thing.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 08:11:49 AM »
IMHO, someone was feeding the birds.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 08:36:02 AM »
They look like Ospreys and a Great Blue Heron to me. Judging from the fish (which appear to be trout) my guess is that they were taken somewhere other than Florida.
Yep, all osprey except for the Great Blue Heron and a female duck (probably mallard though I didn't look too close on that one).  And yes, that heron could easilly swallow that fish once it turned it lengthwise.  Hard to tell where they were taken, though Oregon is a good possibility.  They have a health osprey and heron population, and lots of trout.  But that's hardly the only state with such.

I volunteered at a raptor rehab center for a summer.  I got to help the lady that ran the place with taking care of some of the injured birds that came in.  I remember holding an osprey by the hawks with its back against my belly/chest so the lady could put a feeding tube down its throat.  The look that bird gave me is one I'll never forget.  (S)He was not happy.  I was able to be there when they released that bird back into the wild. 
Formerly sumpnz

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 08:48:56 AM »
During the summer, almost every channel marker and buoy has an Osprey nest on it around here.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 02:18:56 PM »
IMHO, someone was feeding the birds.
Feeed the birds, tuppence a bag, tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a baaaag...  =D A nod and a wink to anyone who can tell me the origin of that tune.  ;)

I was thinking the same thing. Either that or someone spent a whole lotta time waiting for birds to come down and snatch fish out of the water in just the right spot(s). So staged IS a possibilty but still, cool shots.  =)

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2008, 03:20:17 PM »
Feeed the birds, tuppence a bag, tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a baaaag...  =D A nod and a wink to anyone who can tell me the origin of that tune.  ;)

<snip>

Mary Poppins?

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 04:59:43 PM »
Its a jolly holiday, with Marrry!

We had an awesome fishing eagle shot come into NGMs online photo contest

Its a 1 in a million shot if you think the guy had to be pre focused and motor driving a random spot that the bird is dive bombing

Further analysis of the image I had, revealed the bird had leg jesses and was fetching a dead fish out on the lake surface

It's an easier shot to acquire if you preload the target area with bait and have the camera preset for the target zone
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

280plus

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 06:44:43 PM »
Mary Poppins is a WINNAH!!   :laugh:

Here is your wink: ;)  not sure how to give the nod though. You'll have to use your imagination.  =D

Yea, I tried to catch a damn hummingbird at the feeder all summer. No matter how many pix I took when I downloaded them there just wasn't a bird to be found in any of them. Fast little effers!  :laugh:

Zed

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 10:29:13 PM »
I don't think it was fake, just a Full HD High Speed Video camera.
Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 06:44:04 AM »
Mary Poppins is a WINNAH!!   :laugh:

Here is your wink: ;)  not sure how to give the nod though. You'll have to use your imagination.  =D

Yea, I tried to catch a damn hummingbird at the feeder all summer. No matter how many pix I took when I downloaded them there just wasn't a bird to be found in any of them. Fast little effers!  :laugh:

Hummingbirds are easy...

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

280plus

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 06:48:01 AM »
Wise ass!  :laugh: