Author Topic: backflow prevention gadget repair/replacement?  (Read 784 times)

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
backflow prevention gadget repair/replacement?
« on: November 25, 2008, 12:34:44 PM »
My city mandates these backflow prevention device thingies on outdoor fixtures.  Mine on the back of my house leaks.

What I usually do is leave he faucet on, and have a V-connector, with one side having this little nozzle the dog can drink from, while the other side is off.

This worked great for about 6 months, then the backflow device thing started dripping.  (I verified it's not the V connector)

How the heck can I replace this thing?  IT looks like it's permanantly on.  Do I have to replace the whole dang fixture?
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: backflow prevention gadget repair/replacement?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 01:28:28 PM »
Usually they have a set screw that was tightened when it was installed. The head breaks off when its tightened. Drill that bad boy out, take it off and throw it out. No one will notice till you sell the house.
Most new water meters have it built in. Also some of the frost free faucets have it built in also.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Leatherneck

• friend
Re: backflow prevention gadget repair/replacement?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 07:41:48 PM »
^^^ Good advice. You may have to access from inside the house and unscrew the whole foot-long bibb assembly and either replace it ($20) or dismantle it and replace just the bibb sans device.

TC
TC
RT Refugee