Author Topic: The distinction between terrorists and pirates is blurring...  (Read 890 times)

Leatherneck

• friend
The distinction between terrorists and pirates is blurring...
« on: December 01, 2008, 04:16:00 AM »
Via Instapundit: http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3630443,00.html

Yeah. I think Altman meant something a bit more preemptive, and not reactive. But if you want first responders with guns to be fast, then the first responders have to already be on the scene. Which means they need to be the kind of people previously described as “victims,” only with guns . . . .

Kind of makes me think that in America and other western nations, the answer is to eliminate restrictions on individuals keeping and bearing arms.  Big surprise around here, I know...

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: The distinction between terrorists and pirates is blurring...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 04:30:54 AM »
They absolutely have to do something about shipping.

My suggestion is still to have a secured and inspectable arms locker of certain acceptable weapons that the harbor pilot or even Customs would secure with a secondary lock for the entire time the ship is in port. I can't see why anyone would have a problem with that. They had it in the past, the world got safer, now the world is dangerous again, it's time to bring it back.

They can mandate that they all be painted bright freaking happy neon, whatever. But ships need things like shotguns and carbines for the crew, and they need it now. On cruise liners, everyone's a firefighter, they receive some training and are expected to help, some receive extra training and get air helmets and other gear. They don't have a problem with that. I can't see how training to repel boarders with simunitions, with shoot/don't shoot scenarios, would be any different. 

Secondly, why the heck don't they refit things like cruise liners or even tankers so that there's a man-trap of some kind before you get to the bridge? Even just secure the door and add a manual firing control to flood the bridge access corridor with halon if the pirates are trying to bust in. Put less-lethal things like CS or pepper gas flood systems in the engineering spaces. That'll take care of them quick!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 04:39:19 AM by Manedwolf »

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 04:34:53 AM »
Some interesting discussion regarding inactivity of the Mumbai police responders here:http://neoneocon.com/2008/11/30/the-mumbai-policemen-who-refused-to-shoot/

TC
TC
RT Refugee

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 03:30:38 PM »
Altman talked about the similarities between the VC and modern terrorists. That gave me an idea. A great way to fight the Iraqi insurgents would be to create a new kind of Phoenix Program. The soldiers could live near the community, listen to the locals, and strike fast with the sole purpose of destroying the terrorist infrastructure and leaders. The locals probably wouldn't even need to be employed as mercenaries. It would most likely have some of the same problems as the original Phoenix Program, but I think it could be effective if done correctly.

And yes, terrorists have to be fought with great ruthlessness and
determination.