Author Topic: Shoes thrown at Bush on Iraq trip  (Read 10854 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Shoes thrown at Bush on Iraq trip
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2008, 10:29:38 AM »
Promoting discouraging so called bad behavior with behavior that far worse isn't making things better for anybody.

that from a white paper? 

You seem to be mighty upset about white papers.

Mind, that isn't from a white paper, but that doesn't make it wrong.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2008, 10:34:30 AM »
amused rather than upset.  takes a lot to upset the old folks  perspective does that
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Owens

« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2008, 11:28:56 AM »
So...What caliber for shoes?

(someone had to ask)
Life Member NRA, TSRA

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2008, 11:34:21 AM »
Mid East press glee at shoe throw
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7785837.stm

The shoe thrower's arrest has prompted protests in his support
The hurling of a pair of shoes at George Bush by an Iraqi journalist has revealed the full extent of the US president's unpopularity in the Middle East's media, with newspapers across the region taking delight in his discomfort.
Most commentators see it as beyond doubt that the treatment meted out to Mr Bush by Iraqi journalist Muntadar al-Zaidi is a just response to the president's policies in Iraq, although one chides the shoe-thrower for expressing his protest through violence rather than "tough questions".
The incident is also seen as a warning to US President-elect Barack Obama that he must tread carefully in the Middle East if he wants a gentler send-off from the region at the end of his presidency.

MUHAMMAD BARAKAT IN EGYPT'S AL-AKHBAR
This extraordinary shot of the flying shoe involves a clear response by Iraqis to what Bush has been saying in the past five years about the great gains the Iraqi people have achieved as a result of the invasion, the occupation and the US destruction of their homes and state.

GHAZI AL-DADA IN SYRIA'S TISHRIN
When it became evident that George Bush, the outgoing US president, is incapable of understanding all that is being said about his rash policies, in all the languages of the world, it was necessary to invent a new language that Bush might understand, and it was the language of shoe-throwing.

GEORGE HADDAD IN JORDAN'S AL-DUSTUR
This terrible insult, which was richly deserved fully deserved by the lying war-criminal president, puts more pressure on the US president-elect to extricate his country from its entanglement in world affairs.

MUSIB NUAIMI IN IRAN'S ARABIC-LANGUAGE AL-VEFAGH
Iraqi journalist Muntadar al-Zaidi's shoes have made history. The shoe he threw at Bush will always haunt [the president] even after he leaves the White House, and will upset him whenever he remembers the incident. This is the end of all tyrants who shed the people's blood and despise human rights in order to achieve their arrogant aspirations.

EDITORIAL IN UK-BASED AL-QUDS AL-ARABI
The overwhelming Arab solidarity with the journalist and the fact that he was turned into a hero overnight have proved the extent of the misleading advertising carried out by the US media and the Iraqi officials, who have always been presenting a false picture of the "New Iraq".

AL-AZAB AL-TAYYIB AL-TAHIR IN QATAR'S AL-RAYAH
Zaidi has expressed the pent-up pain and humiliation which Iraqis feel as a result of the violations committed by the occupation forces throughout five years.

YUSUF AL-KUWAYLIT IN SAUDI AL-RIYADH
He [Bush] never expected that the expression of opposition to reach this level of intensity, particularly knowing that, in the oriental tradition, shoes are associated with contempt and dirt.

MUSTAFA AL-SAWWAF IN GAZA'S FILASTIN
This is a farewell suitable for a war criminal and terrorist who led the world towards moral degeneration, terrorism and violence for eight years. The scene of the shoe being thrown is the only one that is suitable for US President George Bush. This is a free Iraqi expressing the feelings of the Iraqi people.

EDITORIAL IN IRAN'S IRAN
Muntadar al-Zaidi's pair of shoes is the symbol of infinite hatred, of not only Iraqi people but also the people of the whole world against America's president because of his arrogant atrocities.

TARIQ AL-HAMID IN AL-SHARQ AL-AWSAT
The Iraqi journalist should have asked tough or embarrassing questions to US President Bush while he was standing near Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki. However, the journalist opted for shoes instead of questions. He forgot that media attention requires neither violence nor obscenity.

RA'UF SHAHURI IN LEBANON'S AL-ANWAR
This is a warning for the United States' new era. Those who will follow Bush's policies will receive the same farewell at the end of their term in office. Hopefully, Barack Obama will realise that, deep inside, Arab and Muslim peoples wish to bid him farewell with flowers at the end of his term in office.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2008, 11:38:54 AM »
Bush Says Shoe Throw Didn't Insult Him
Reporter Held After Hurling Shoes At Bush
POSTED: Monday, December 15, 2008
UPDATED: 3:19 pm EST December 15, 2008

http://www.justnews.com/politics/18278973/detail.html?rss=mia&psp=news

President George W. Bush said he doesn't feel insulted and doesn't blame the Iraqi government after a TV reporter threw shoes at him in Baghdad.

The president told ABC News, "The guy wanted to get on TV and he did."
An official said the reporter, Muntadar al-Zeidi, is being interrogated by Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's guards over whether anybody paid him to hurl his shoes at Bush during a press conference Sunday in Baghdad.
The reporter is also being tested for alcohol and drugs. The shoes are being held as evidence.
The assailant, a television correspondent for Al-Baghdadia television, also shouted in Arabic during the incident: "This is a farewell kiss, you dog. This is from the widows, the orphans and those who were killed in Iraq."
The reporter's colleagues said the man was kidnapped last year by *expletive deleted*it militias and released after Al-Baghdadia intervened.
Bush later joked about the incident, saying all he could report was that it was a size 10.
"It is one way to gain attention," Bush said. "I didn't feel the least bit threatened by it."
Bush called the six-year conflict there hard but necessary work.
Meanwhile, Arabs across the Middle East are hailing the shoe incident as a proper send-off to the unpopular U.S. president.
There were no shoe sightings to report in Afghanistan on Monday.
A day after the Iraqi reporter hurled the shoes at Bush, the American leader held a news conference in Kabul.
Afghan reporters who had gathered for the news conference ahead of time had plenty of time to trade shoe jokes.
Some of them egged on one of their colleagues, jokingly trying to get the television reporter to take off his shoe and hurl it once the president arrived.
The news conference later concluded with no footgear thrown.
Later Monday, Bush headed back to the U.S. after his whirlwind trip to Iraq and Afghanistan.
The president visited the Iraqi capital just 37 days before he hands the war off to his successor, Barack Obama, who has pledged to end it. The president wanted to highlight a drop in violence and to celebrate a recent U.S.-Iraq security agreement.
In Afghanistan, the president was cheered by U.S. troops at Bagram Air Base. Bush also took a helicopter ride to Kabul to meet with Afghan President Hamid Karzai.
After their meeting, Bush said he told Karzai: "You can count on the United States."
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2008, 11:41:49 AM »
Instead of flipping the bird, you throw a shoe. Try it at your next business meeting.

I took your advice and threw a shoe at someone who cut me off in traffic.  Lesson learned,  it's hard to hit someone with a shoe at 45 mph.

Don't care

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2008, 12:01:03 PM »
So...What caliber for shoes?

(someone had to ask)

I'm not sure of the caliber of the shoes, but I've got a good idea of the caliber of the person who threw them.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2008, 12:07:30 PM »
That sole less scoundrel certainly didn't last long after his tongue lashing

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2008, 08:50:55 AM »
That quote of what he said is pretty tame.  The US media has said far worse, they just didn't throw shoes.
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2008, 05:53:09 PM »
Throwing a shoe at someone is the ultimate insult in the Arab world....Bush would be justified in sending Seal Team Six to wipe out that journalist's entire tribe....

....I would.... 
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2008, 05:56:44 PM »
CAIRO (Reuters) – An Egyptian man said Wednesday he was offering his 20-year-old daughter in marriage to Iraqi journalist Muntazer al-Zaidi, who threw his shoes at U.S. President George W. Bush in Baghdad Sunday,

The daughter, Amal Saad Gumaa, said she agreed with the idea. "This is something that would honour me. I would like to live in Iraq, especially if I were attached to this hero," she told Reuters by telephone.

Her father, Saad Gumaa, said he had called Dergham, Zaidi's brother, to tell him of the offer. "I find nothing more valuable than my daughter to offer to him, and I am prepared to provide her with everything needed for marriage," he added.

Zaidi's gesture has struck a chord across the Arab world, where President Bush is widely despised for invading Iraq in 2003 and for his support for Israel. (Al-Reuters strikes again.)

Amal is a student in the media faculty at Minya University in central Egypt.

Zaidi's response to the proposal was not immediately clear.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081217/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_iraq_bush_bride_odd_1

How civilized and advanced.  :rolleyes:

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2008, 10:29:23 PM »
The daughter, Amal Saad Gumaa, said she agreed with the idea. "This is something that would honour me. I would like to live in Iraq, especially if I were attached to this hero," she told Reuters by telephone.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner