Author Topic: Greek rioters use lasers against police  (Read 38567 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Greek rioters use lasers against police
« on: December 16, 2008, 01:13:45 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1094892/Greek-rioters-use-lasers-police-violence-boys-death-continues-second-week.html

Greek rioters use lasers against police as violence over boy's death continues into second week

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 1:36 PM on 15th December 2008

Protesters in Athens targeted police officers with lasers yesterday as riots sparked by the police killing of a 15-year-old boy continued into a second week.

Although the intensity of protests has tailed off in recent days pockets of violence are still occurring and more rallies have been planned for this week.

Today, around 50 demonstrators hurled eggs at police outside the main Athens court, where a hearing took place for dozens of people arrested during Greece's worst riots in decades, sparked by the killing of Alexandros Grigoropoulos on December 6.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Greek rioters use lasers against police
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 01:17:27 AM »
Lasers?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 01:28:12 AM »
any mention of sharks?

or... ill-tempered sea bass?

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Don't care

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 03:45:29 AM »
Lasers?

Thinking that if I saw being painted with a laser dot, it would be a gun sight. 

I would take cover and target back whomever using it.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 03:48:03 AM »
it looks like they're using those green high powered lasers!
super bad for your eyesight, lights matches!!!

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 10:33:20 AM »
At least they can't shoot straight.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 11:17:10 AM »
Isn't he a little short to be a stormtrooper?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 11:20:07 AM »
Isn't he a little short to be a stormtrooper?

Maybe he couldn't find a wookie suit.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 12:45:21 PM »
Obviously going down for felony possession of an EBR!

As to the OP, a laser from a crowd of rioters could make an LEO think gun, and make him/her run for cover, or it could be directed at the eyes, and at least temporarily blind the LEO.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 12:47:54 PM »
I would not blame a cop for shooting at the origin point of a laser, thinking it's being used for aiming.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 12:53:18 PM »
wouldn't blindness be considered "serious bodily harm"?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 12:55:23 PM »
I like how the article doesn't mention how the lasers were used.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 01:13:48 PM »
I like how the article doesn't mention how the lasers were used.

Protesters in Athens targeted police officers with lasers

depends on if thats a discription or just the reporter trying to be clever.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 01:38:32 PM »
I read that Greek police are PROHIBITED BY LAW from entering a college campus . . .  :police:

Guess where the rioters are re-grouping - gathering rocks to throw, demolishing buildings, assembling molotov cocktails - with NO police interference?

I suspect I wouldn't make a very good Greek cop . . . with my willingness to use lethal force against bomb-throwers, arsonists, and such.  ;/
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 01:51:02 PM »
At the bottom of the page there are pictures, some of them show the green laser lights being used. http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Greece-Athens-Braced-For-More-Violence-On-Day-Of-Shot-Teen-Alexandros-Grigoriadis-Funeral/Article/200812215175334?lpos=World_News_Top_Stories_Header_2&lid=ARTICLE_15175334_Greece:_Athens_Braced_For_More_Violence_On_Day_Of_Shot_Teen_Alexandros_Grigoriadis_Funeral

I suspect I wouldn't make a very good Greek cop . . . with my willingness to use lethal force against bomb-throwers, arsonists, and such.  rolleyes

Yeah, you could shoot some of the people protesting the police state just like that neo-nazi cop did to Alexandros.  :mad:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 02:17:35 PM »
Yeah, you could shoot some of the people protesting the police state just like that neo-nazi cop did to Alexandros.  angry

He wasn't protesting. He was attacking the police car with three dozen more of his buddies.

But even if the police were to track the kid in his house and shoot him in his peaceful sleep, that doesn't morally justify rioting.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 02:18:13 PM »
Yeah, you could shoot some of the people protesting the police state just like that neo-nazi cop did to Alexandros.  :mad:

You mean the people "protesting the state" by burning stores in Athens and throwing firebombs AT police?

They should have been shot. I would have absolutely no problem shooting people doing that.

Someone throwing a molotov at human beings needs nothing more than a raised rifle and a three-round burst. That's how that's solved.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 02:28:56 PM »

This is a library.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 02:31:10 PM »
Was a library.

Nice. The leftist protesters are living up to the historical mythos of Alexandria.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 02:35:50 PM »
someone shining a laser light in my face might as well paint "shoot me now"  on his forehead  standing behind or close would be unwise
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 02:37:41 PM »
At the bottom of the page there are pictures, some of them show the green laser lights being used. http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Greece-Athens-Braced-For-More-Violence-On-Day-Of-Shot-Teen-Alexandros-Grigoriadis-Funeral/Article/200812215175334?lpos=World_News_Top_Stories_Header_2&lid=ARTICLE_15175334_Greece:_Athens_Braced_For_More_Violence_On_Day_Of_Shot_Teen_Alexandros_Grigoriadis_Funeral

We just had some (minor) riots in Augusta, GA, cause a cop shot a car thief. Who happened to be black. Never mind the guy was trying to run a cop over. Never mind the guy had guns on the seat next to him. Never mind the guy had a record. He wasn't going to do any harm to anybody.  :rolleyes:

Freakazoid, you are reminding me of the people who were defending that car thief. The car thief lived, but the idiots started rioting and burning *expletive deleted*it...

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/2008/12/16/met_504134.shtml
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 02:43:08 PM »
He wasn't protesting. He was attacking the police car with three dozen more of his buddies.

Um, no. He did throw a plastic water bottle at the car. Guess that is grounds for being shot right?

But even if the police were to track the kid in his house and shoot him in his peaceful sleep, that doesn't morally justify rioting.

Except this isn't a riot, it's a protest. This is more than just a bunch of angsty teens throwing rocks and Molotovs. It is a bunch of working class people who have been slowly getting tired of the way things are there and who finally aren't going to take it anymore. It has become much more than about the murder of the kid.

You mean the people "protesting the state" by burning stores in Athens and throwing firebombs AT police?

Oh noes, what if the people oppressing them get hurt?  ;/

Sometimes I really wonder which side the the American revolution you would of been on.

We just had some (minor) riots in Augusta, GA, cause a cop shot a car thief. Who happened to be black. Never mind the guy was trying to run a cop over. Never mind the guy had guns on the seat next to him. Never mind the guy had a record. He wasn't going to do any harm to anybody.  rolleyes

Except that is nothing like the situation over there.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 02:45:30 PM »
Um, no. He did throw a plastic water bottle at the car. Guess that is grounds for being shot right?

but wait!  that would make his friend who was with him a liar. his version is different from that.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 02:47:30 PM »

One  of the comments on that page:

There is only one cause to all this trouble; a sickperson was in possession of a gun!Only a sick person would want to carry and use a gun!There are no excuses.
Posted By :davos

;/

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2008, 02:48:23 PM »
they seem to be using those green lasers, really bad :mad:
I would rather be shot then blinded.
I would shoot if they attempted that on me.