Author Topic: New species found in the Mekong delta-----------I wonder why?  (Read 5479 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
New species found in the Mekong delta-----------I wonder why?
« on: December 17, 2008, 01:26:18 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/12/16/rat.mekong/index.html

A rat believed to be extinct for 11 million years, a spider with a foot-long legspan, and a hot pink cyanide-producing "dragon millipede" are among the thousand newly discovered species in the largely unexplored Mekong Delta region.

The "dragon millipede" is among the 1,068 new species discovered in the Mekong Delta region.

more photos »  The region, including parts of Vietnam and five other countries, is home to 1,068 species found between 1997 and 2007, according to a World Wildlife Fund report released this week.

Some of the creatures were not lurking in fertile floodplains or tropical foliage.

A scientist visiting an outdoor restaurant was startled to see a Laotian rock rat among the nearby wildlife. The hairy, nocturnal, thick-tailed rat, which resembles a squirrel, had been thought for centuries to be extinct.

"There is a certain amount of shock because our scientists will sometimes see something that doesn't fit anything they know," said Dekila Chungyalpa, Director of the Fund's Mekong Program. "They run through a catalogue of wildlife in their brain, asking themselves, 'Have I seen this?'"

Perhaps a more startling discovery than the rat was a bright green pit viper scientists spotted slithering through the rafters of a restaurant in Khao Yai National Park in Thailand.

The Fund dubbed the Mekong a "biological treasure trove." The organization's report "First Contact in the Greater Mekong" says 519 plants, 279 fish, 88 frogs, 88 spiders, 46 lizards, 22 snakes, 15 mammals, four birds, four turtles, two salamanders and a toad were found.

Scientists are still trying to determine if they have uncovered thousands of new invertebrate species.

Scientists are discovering new species at a rate of two per week, said Chungyalpa, who said the reason for publishing the report now was twofold.

"We realized that we should highlight these discoveries in part because of the legacy of war and conflict in the region," she said. "There's an urgency with the threat of development in the Mekong countries."

What happened in the vicinity that so many previously unidentified species are showing up?  Not all of the countries were exposed to Agent Orange so I wouldn't think that was the source.  Are they mutations or just somehow missed being classified previously?  I will bookmark this one and follow up if I can.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: New species found in the Mekong delta-----------I wonder why?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 01:29:00 AM »
Take a scientist into a rain forest and he'll discover a couple new species. The bio-diversity is incredible, the populations of each are small, the creatures are elusive etc etc
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 01:31:20 AM »
The Fund dubbed the Mekong a "biological treasure trove." The organization's report "First Contact in the Greater Mekong" says 519 plants, 279 fish, 88 frogs, 88 spiders, 46 lizards, 22 snakes, 15 mammals, four birds, four turtles, two salamanders and a toad were found.

And a partridge in a pear tree. :D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 01:39:39 AM »
Are they mutations or just somehow missed being classified previously?
Nobody looked before.  There's... one... two? stable governments in the region, I think, and that's rather recent.  That makes it hard to mount a scientific expedition.  Add that to the factors Balog mentioned, and there you have it.  People haven't just now seen these things.  People who give a flip are just now seeing these things.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 01:45:17 AM »
I used to be into cryptozoology, and while a lot of it is nutters they do make a very valid point about the difficulty of finding every species in a given space. Didn't they discover an unknown type of fairly large ox in SE Asia a couple decades ago? I can't remember the specifics. 
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 02:28:43 AM »
oooooh! oooooh!
GIANT SPIDERS I WANT ONE!

I used to be into cryptozoology, and while a lot of it is nutters they do make a very valid point about the difficulty of finding every species in a given space. Didn't they discover an unknown type of fairly large ox in SE Asia a couple decades ago? I can't remember the specifics. 

they found a whole new species of Asian Elephant a few years ago too, if a herd of large mammals can go undetected
in Asia I suppose "Yeti's" could too.

As far as new species go, here in the states we say, oooh, look at that, I wonder what it is ... over there they say, "I wonder what it taste like" :lol:
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 05:33:06 AM »
IIRC they discovered some deer-sized critter not more than 10 years back. Laos again I think it was.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 07:27:39 AM »
Despite the locals calling the big pink centipede "Fred" for the last 1000 years
Its not discovered until some white guy from the Smithsonian puts one in a jar.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 07:34:10 AM »
Despite the locals calling the big pink centipede "Fred" for the last 1000 years

That's pretty much how it is.  Over there, the smart place to look for "new" species might be the open air markets.  Everything that walks, crawls, jumps or flies is a candidate for the fry pan.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 07:38:00 AM »
Well, heck. It's Bush's fault.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 07:40:29 AM »
Yip, my buddy Mark Moffett is one of those guys that gets to travel to weird places and "finds" new species

http://tinyurl.com/6lad3a
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 08:57:27 AM »
That is usually the case.  Locals often know all about these animals and don't think much of them.  It takes someone who recognizes that difference. 

It is just another reason to remember that we don't know everything there is to know about this planet. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Owens

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 10:04:28 AM »
It is just another reason to remember that we don't know everything there is to know about this planet.

So very true.

(unless your name is Al Gore
This old world holds more secrets and quirks than man will ever fully know.
Life Member NRA, TSRA

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 12:40:40 PM »
I want one of those spiders.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Marvin Dao

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 02:21:10 PM »
That's pretty much how it is.  Over there, the smart place to look for "new" species might be the open air markets.  Everything that walks, crawls, jumps or flies is a candidate for the fry pan.

That's actually how they found the Laotian rock rat. It was thought to have been extinct for 11 million years until they found one in a food market.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 05:58:24 PM »
That's actually how they found the Laotian rock rat. It was thought to have been extinct for 11 million years until they found one in a food market.

taste like chicken
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 09:44:03 PM »
Grandpa, you probably had several of those species crawling through your bivouac way back then  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 10:30:23 PM »
The stuff we saw floating or swimming in the sewers they called rivers and canals wasn't anything I would eat or want to handle.  The army guys may have seen stuff I didn't.  The Marines ate anything in sight. :laugh:

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 10:31:14 PM »

Close.

The white guy from the Smithsonian also has to assign "Fred" a suitably scientific-sounding Latin name. Without a suitably scientific-sounding Latin name, "Fred" simply cannot qualify as a species. It's all in the name.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 10:52:40 PM »
centi dien ki dao motha pede?

Blog under construction

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2008, 11:01:44 AM »
Close.

The white guy from the Smithsonian also has to assign "Fred" a suitably scientific-sounding Latin name. Without a suitably scientific-sounding Latin name, "Fred" simply cannot qualify as a species. It's all in the name.

Don't forget that Fredicus on the north side of the river is a different sub-species than Franicus on the south side of the river - that way both groups are endangered  :rolleyes:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MikePGS

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 12:58:46 PM »
To heck with guns, I'm gonna get some of those Cyanide spitting millipedes and shoot them at baddies with a slingshot.
"The people in the gun culture have a better safety record than any police department in the nation, but in
several states actually prohibit us from using guns for self-protection, and in all the other states except one
they make us buy a license. They tax us so we can have more cops, and when crime still goes up, they tax
us more and ban more of our guns."
John Ross, Unintended Consequences

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 01:15:25 PM »
The millipedes require a tax stamp, and they have too much recoil anyway.  The centipedes work pretty well, however - with a quality gonkulator.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 01:22:49 PM »
I picked up a milliepede as a kid once, OW!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 01:32:09 PM »
Centipedes and millipedes?  Gosh durn it, this is 'Merica.  We have inchipedes and severalinchipedes.  Try to keep that straight.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?