Author Topic: Bogie want...  (Read 1873 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Bogie want...
« on: December 17, 2008, 10:53:05 PM »
http://www.break.com/index/your-new-favorite-model-helicopter.html

NSFW site, but video's safe.

I wonder how loud the chopper really is?

Blog under construction

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Bogie want...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 11:05:25 PM »
 =D

Needs something doublestack instead, though.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 04:21:09 AM »
Wonder why they didn't go all-out and mod it for:

a) Something full-auto
b) A shotgun
c) Both a and b  =D

Seems too loud and too uncontrollable as is, though. 

I'm seeing a v0.2 that's a glider, firearm pointed toward the rear.  Glider makes a pass over the target, pulls up, and then fires off a shot or two propelling it forward and striking the target simultaneously.  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 04:35:39 AM »
I'd be curious how much the ATF tax stamp would be on something like that...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 06:51:37 AM »
Illegal as hell, but I do agree with the want part. I think the right RC helo ought to lift a stripped down lightweight AR with C-mag though.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 07:58:22 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 11:33:22 AM »
They have mounted a shotgun on that 'chopper.  That video was out last year, I think.

I want to know if the ejected brass was hitting the rotors.  That could lead to a nasty crash.  I think I would have mounted the pistol with the ejection port facing down.

I'm not so sure that contraption would be illegal in the eyes of the BATFandE.  It doesn't seem much different than the internet-based shooting and hunting in Texas.  That was ruled BATFandE legal, right?  After all, the 1911 is only firing once with each activation of the (remotely pulled) trigger.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 11:36:41 AM by Fly320s »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 11:35:23 AM »
I wonder how legal this is.
If it is, I wonder how legal my remote control super tank (idea) would be. :3
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 12:29:23 PM »
Illegal as hell, but I do agree with the want part. I think the right RC helo ought to lift a stripped down lightweight AR with C-mag though.

How?  This actually doesn't violate any laws.  You can remote fire all day long as long as it isn't full auto.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 02:15:51 PM »
Shouldn't matter with most guns if you mount 'em sideways...

You know, a 10/22 with a shorter carbon-fibre exterior barrel could be interesting... With a good 50 round mag, you could put a lot of hits on something... And the glider thing could be cool too... but I'd go one step further, and have an engine you could turn on for non-stealth mode...

Blog under construction

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 03:17:58 PM »
How?  This actually doesn't violate any laws.  You can remote fire all day long as long as it isn't full auto.

Virginia is the master of laws that are vague enough to mean exactly what they need to mean in each circumstance. Given that helicopters real or toy are wont to depart controlled flight at any old time I think this could apply if any bullet went where it shouldn't. A reckless prosecutor could try to make it apply better. Ceding muzzle control to aerodynamics and radio frequency has hazards.

§ 18.2-56.1. Reckless handling of firearms; reckless handling while hunting.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to handle recklessly any firearm so as to endanger the life, limb or property of any person. Any person violating this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Then there's this. I know that this section does not aim at helicopter mounted pistols but it is vague enough that the remote activation other contrivance could be twisted to be the guy with the remote, even though he meant to come into contact with it. Especially if you hand it to your buddy and he 360s it with the rudder and accidentally kills himself.

§ 18.2-281. Setting spring gun or other deadly weapon.

It shall be unlawful for any person to set or fix in any manner any firearm or other deadly weapon so that it may be discharged or activated by a person coming in contact therewith or with any string, wire, spring, or any other contrivance attached thereto or designed to activate such weapon remotely. Any person violating this section shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony.

Far out I know, but you've got to think like a well greased lawyer. And a flying armed helicopter is not in the range of "normal" to the 12 half-witted "Peers" you're going to get.

Beyond that the issue of remote activation for me is worrisome with the BATF. Even if it's a linear servo, if you could get the thing in any way to electrically rapidly cycle then there may be trouble. I would only do it with a servo that would travel one way and stop until you released the switch, or better yet you had to reverse the switch to a third position to make it release. If the BATF has hacksaws to make your evidence "fit," it stands to reason they have soldering irons.

I've got some way out there remote firing ideas myself, just have to puzzle them over to make sure demonstration is legal.

But I still want the helicopter. Under my legal worry, deep down I am still the kid that fired all my estes rockets on quite acute angle trajectories. :D With terminal enhancements. :D :D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 04:47:21 PM »
Cool.  All I have is a Roomba, a Sig, duct tape and a long piece of string.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 09:48:12 PM »
...bad thoughts... bad thoughts...

Roomba. Turret. Airsoft.

Cat...

Blog under construction