Author Topic: Need to learn about garage door openers  (Read 5864 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Need to learn about garage door openers
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2008, 02:47:37 PM »
Speaking of Craftsman garage door openers---mine's working fine, now. But it takes spells where the remote will open but not close the door. You have to hold the inside button down to close the door. It has the safety light beam(?) switch, but takes spells where it will or won't work. FWIW, it's a chain drive, Model # ANcient!

Thanks.
Bob

Do you have a north facing garage?  I do and each spring and fall there are a few days where the sun gets at just the right angle to interfere with the eye.  Took me a while to figure that one out.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2008, 05:42:37 PM »
Bogie:
There is a big difference in what a distributor will sell you and what a hardware store will. You should be able to get a comparable opener, carryout, at about that same price from a dealer. Minus the keyless entry and remote light control.
The reason you get those at the hardware store is because there are more shortcuts taken on the construction of the opener they sell. That way they give you a couple more addons and make you think it's a great deal.

I do and each spring and fall there are a few days where the sun gets at just the right angle to interfere with the eye.  Took me a while to figure that one out.
Make a small hood for the lens, half of the empty cardboard tube from toliet paper works well. Wrap in black electrical tape for a nice look. Works better with certain shapes of photoeyes but you get the idea.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2008, 08:17:08 PM »
Eyebrows: described exactly, south-facing garage, problem coes and goes randomly. Probably simplest to just replace, but I hate this "disposable" society, ought to be a fix!

Thanks.
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."