Author Topic: Getting a house ready to sell  (Read 2482 times)

bratch

• friend
Getting a house ready to sell
« on: October 25, 2005, 07:03:05 PM »
I'll be selling my first home and moving into a new home in the near future.  I'm planning on putting mine on the market in mid to late Januaree.  Right now I am beginning to do some of the little things I have put off the past couple years.  What recommendations and work have you seen that really help a home sell?

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 07:41:38 PM »
I've never sold a home, but I have an idea what *I* want to see when looking for one to buy.

1. Clean the carpets.  I mean REALLY clean 'em.  I know that folks live on those surfaces, so if the carpets are a few years old and show some wear, thats OK.  But if I get down on the floor and SMELL, it should be clean/neutral.  If you've had pets (cats or dogs) get a black light and FIND THE ACCIDENTS and treat them.  If they are REALLY bad, give a replacement allowance in your price, or put new ones down just before it goes on the market.

2. Paint the walls and baseboards white/off white.  Give me a blank slate to work on.  Patch the nail holes and the like.

3. Make the windows sparkle, like the glass is not there.  Clean the blinds or curtains you have up, them open them part way to make the place feel like a home, not just a house.

4. Clean out the tank on the toilet, so when I pull the lid all I see is water and clean tank.  

5. Clean the cupboard faces, using a tooth brush on the detail if needed.  Of course, make sure the cupboards are neat and clean inside as well.

6. When showing, appeal to not just the eyes, but the nose as well. A VERY LIGHT incense (like 1/4 of a small stick walked through the house, in a neutral scent) can make a place feel loved.  Baking a batch of cookies in the morning can do the same, specially if you leave 'em out for the visitors.

7. Landscaping should be attractive and middle of the road.  A picture perfect formal garded is too much, and so is nature run riot.  Either may appeal to YOUR tastes, but you're moving out so your tastes no longer matter.  If you like formal, let it go to seed a tad.  If you like wildlands, trim it back or at least cut the grass.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 08:15:10 PM »
Sindawe is spot on.  Everything should look, smell, and feel CLEAN.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 06:10:44 AM »
Merry Maids are your friends.  Hire them to come and clean the following
Base Boards
Door frames
ledges
corners (cobbwebs)
scrub the bathtubs
ceiling fans

Clean is always good.  

You need to
Paint. White/off white or Neutral colors, nothing crazy.  Don't be afraid of color as long as it matches the room and the carpet/flooring, but bright pink might send potential buyers running for the door.  My wife and I looked at a house that was way too small for us, but because it was so nicely done, we almost bought it.  I had to step outside and think about it for almost an hour before I really convinced myself it just wasn't our house.  
Don't forget about the exterior.  Doorframes, trim, and fencing.
Get a storage unit.
Declutter.  Stay simple, cut down on personalization.  I've passed on homes because they were religiously decorated, country decorated, and theme decorated.  I don't care to see your stupid porcelin duck collection.  Cut back on the family photos, also.  It needs to feel like a home, but I should be able to immediately put myself into it.
No *interesting* things.  If I get too involved in checking out your nice book collection, or exotic game mounts, I might forget to check out the house.  Likewise, remember, you might have people who despise your hobbies.  No game mounts, no fishing gear, no hunting gear, no political or religious materials anywhere in sight.
On the same note, every room should have a purpose.  If its a bedroom you use as an office, pull your office stuff out and put a bed in there.  

Yard:  Needs to be picked up.  No poop, no tools, no toys.  Even if its not a great yard, it better not look like a white-trash-yardsale when I roll up.  No broken down cars, no washers or refigerators.  Likewise, move your toys (ATV's, boats, etc) to storage.  Thats just personal clutter.

Repairs.  Make them before you show the house.  

Have an open house when it goes on the market.  Having competition can encourage people to poop-or-get-off-the-pot.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 06:32:11 AM »
At showing time, open all drapes and blinds. Change out light bulbs to the highest wattage each fixture can safely handle. Folks like light and bright, so make 'em happy.
If any of your rooms are a might crowded, consider moving some of your stuff out ahead of time. Make the place look as open (and large) as possible.
Remove any potentially offensive decorations (velvet Elvis, nudes, et yada)
Keep your vacuum cleaner and feather duster at low ready. Folks can (and will) show up on short notice. Dust bunnies are a no-no.
Plus all of the previously mentioned tips.

Good luck!

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 07:35:28 AM »
There's a show on A&E that does exactly this kind of thing.  It's called "Sell that House" and I love watching it from the other perspective-what things do sellers do that make good impressions and raise the price, but might not really be worth it.  For the most part what they recommend are things that the sellers can do themselves -paint and stuff.  One really weird thing, that makes sense, is when they take a room that the current owners are "misusing", like a bedroom as an office, and they suggest renting furniture to make it back into a bedroom to make the house look bigger or more conventional.  They've done this rental thing for tidying up heavily themed rooms too.  

From their web site  http://www.aetv.com/tv/shows/sell_this_house/

This Old House meets Candid Camera in SELL THIS HOUSE"
SELL THIS HOUSE" gets inside the mind of the buyer and the heart of the seller with real life experiences and great advice on how to prepare your house for the market. Each week features homeowners desperate to sell and prospective buyers secretly videotaped as they express their observations upon first seeing the house. Enter a real estate and home decoration expert who recommends changes. In the end, the house is transformed (on a budget) and the buyers are brought back. Will the house sell? For how much? To whom? You'll learn the answers as participants experience the ups and downs of SELL THIS HOUSE".
Experiment with a chemist!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 07:44:37 AM »
Great show!  As I'll be selling in about a year, I've been watching it every chance I get.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Paddy

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 07:57:57 AM »
Curb appeal.  What does it look like when you first drive up?  Trim trees and hedges and grass if you've got it.   No clutter or trash laying around.  Fix gates and fences.  Paint if/where it needs it.  Eyewash.  If the buyer gets a good first impression, they're more likely to overlook smaller defects (every house has them) on further inspection.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 10:14:07 AM »
As a full-time real estate agent I can give a BIG "+1" on everything that has been written.

-Clean

-Neat (as in "everything in its place")

-Fresh paint. GOOD paint, not the generic dollar-a-gallon stuff from the local discount store. This is especially critical if you have a room with some kind of "designer" colors (a term used loosely to denote that the color is probably wild enough to make the Queer Eye guys do a double-take)

-Clean all the faceplates for your outlets and switches. If they won't clean or are some wierd color, get new ones.

-If your faucets are at all corroded, consider getting new ones. They are relatively inexpensive.

If it's beat up, busted, bent, broken, or burned, fix it. Get a pre-listing inspection. Most items that pop up are usually handyman type stuff anyway - weepy faucets, outlets with reversed polarity, etc. You can fix them cheaper than you can "buy" your way out from under them (price reduction). Plus, you can have the inspector return when you are done and give the house a clean bill of health.

Also consider having your HVAC completely cleaned and serviced. Keep the invoice and have it handy. The HVAC system is the single largest expence most people face in a home. As a result, it's usually the first thing people get wiggy about if they are in any way concerned about the age or operational status.

Consider offering some type of home warranty. They usually run $350-$500 and are paid at closing. This is especially critical if your home is one that a first-time buyer might consider. Most first-time buyers have little in the way of disposable income and the warranty will be a reassurance to them.

With some careful pre-plannning you can spend a little money on repairs, updates, and maintenance that will return you far more than you paid.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 01:42:26 PM »
Whew! I think I'll just keep mine.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

bratch

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 03:00:18 PM »
Definatley a first home.

The house was totally remodeled in the summer of 2003 when I bought it but I have quite abit to still do to get it really sell worthy.

I'll definatley follow everyones advice.  I just wish I coxuld post pics to get opinions.  My walls are grey but in my opinion look nice.  I will probably paint them a lighter color though.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 03:31:48 PM »
So Bratch, does this mean the John Deere kitchen has to go?

That's a shame. Smiley

bratch

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 03:39:35 PM »
It'll just get relocated to the new residence.  Can't be without my Deere.

Mandi will get to do some more shoppig for me to decorate my next house.

...has left the building.

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 03:54:41 PM »
And you should dress nicely as well. No one wants to buy a house from someone who can't even groom themselves...

bratch

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2005, 03:39:09 PM »
Another question:

I'm living alone in a 3 bedroom house.  The other 2 bedrooms are being used as hobby rooms.  One has my fishing stuff and the other my firearms stuff.

I noticed someone said to convert the rooms back to bedrooms,  What about leaving them totally empty? I'd take all my junk to my parents for storage.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2005, 04:48:30 PM »
They should resemble bedrooms if at all possible.  Empty is better than cluttered with your hobby gear.
JD

Bugman

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2005, 09:09:55 AM »
Empty bedrooms look smaller than lightly furnished rooms

most peole have no imagination show them what the room is supposed to be used for.

Curb appeal is very important.
I passed on a 68,000 house because all I could see was years of work just to get the lawn straightened out.
A handyman friend bought it for $60,000 and just had it appraised at 183,000

I passed on this diamond in the rough because the yard just looked too rough.
Hell, I never even slowed down when I drove by to look at it

Spot77

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2005, 05:25:21 PM »
Somebody touched on it a few posts back (mostly regarding YOUR hobbles) but the single most important thing I feel I did (at least in MY basement) when selling my house a few months ago was to move my big gun safe to my brother's house. Not only did it unclutter things, it kept anybody from stereotyping me or being offended by my guns, which my influence their decision on buying the house. Normally I would tell somebody like that to get bent, but selling your house is one of the most important times to swallow your pride and mask your identity.

Plus, with all the strangers walking through your house, you certainly don't want to advertise your guns (and of course any other valubles as well)

Be sure not to leave any political stuff lying around.

Oh - I moved my boat to my brother's house too - that helped free up lots of off-street parking in one of my driveways.

bratch

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2005, 03:17:38 PM »
I'm planning on getting moving all but 2 or 3 of my guns and ammo to another location.Hopefully I can start getting everything ready over Thanksgiving then give it a big push after finals.