Author Topic: Left 4 Dead -- Anyone Playing This?  (Read 3369 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Left 4 Dead -- Anyone Playing This?
« on: December 30, 2008, 10:57:09 PM »
I got the PC version for Christmas and quite frankly it rocks. Zombie killing games are my kind of games and this one has just the right mix of storyline and zombie destruction for my gaming style. Plus now that I'm "middle-aged" I like having the older guy as one of the characters to choose (the other three being a rocker chick, a businessman, and a tough guy biker named Francis).  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Re: Left 4 Dead -- Anyone Playing This?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 11:08:50 PM »
Yea I been playing it.
How is Zoey a rocker chick?
Francis is a biker dude compensating for his silly name.
And from the trailer, Louis is just an office worker who went to the range a lot.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 11:12:48 PM »
What do I know with how these young kids are dressing these days? She just looks like a rocker chick to me. Now get off my lawn you smart alecky whippersnapper.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 11:20:03 PM »
She's wearing jeans and a sweat coat.
Have you SEEN what the rocker chicks are wearing these days?
It's a lot more frightening.
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

CDiPrecision Gunworks

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 11:22:40 PM »
I got it on Xbox360.. it is fun as hell,lol

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 11:31:18 PM »
I got it for my nephew's 360. We played it over Christmas break. My favorite role is being the infected, and trying to get the survivors. I'm better as the boomer.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 12:55:31 AM »
I play it with a couple of friends on XBox 360.

It is a LOT of fun multiplayer.

We've found that the best group is 3 people and one AI.

I refer to the different player characters as:

The old dude, the biker dude, the black dude, and the dude with no penis.  :laugh:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KPT

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 01:26:21 AM »
A friend of mine and I played it through hamachi.

I thought the game sucked. Its nothing but a mod for HL2. The missions are way too short. Played it for maybe two days and then it was just boring.

My friend didn't think it was so bad. I guess you have to be one of those freaks that think zombies are real.....

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 01:49:45 AM »
I thought the game sucked. Its nothing but a mod for HL2. The missions are way too short. Played it for maybe two days and then it was just boring.

I think it's good fun.  There is a lot of strategy to it.  Counterstrike is "nothing but a mod" and it's one of the most played games online.  I could see how you could get bored quick though.  No firearm realism whatsoever though.... trying to think of a game I've played recently that DID have decent firearms representation though.  Armed Assualt was good in that aspect, bullet drop and everything.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 09:11:45 AM »
I guess you have to be one of those freaks that think zombies are real.....

Yeah, and Reavers are just scary bedtime stories too. Just keep thinking that.....

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 10:06:32 AM »
For me the fun in the game is the team interaction.

I play online with a group of... unique... individuals.

Some of the most enjoyable times I've had in the past 5 years have been while playing online with them.

I also like the strategy aspects. We kept getting our asses kicked in the final scene at the Hospital. We tried numerous "hold" positions that didn't work, until we finally worked out a strategy for using the stairwell to funnel them into killing zones. It's not perfect, and if a tank gets inside it can really ruin the day, but it's worked fairly well.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 10:31:16 AM »
I also actually like the shorter missions. I have a limited attention span and can't lock myself in a room playing WoW for days. These are just long enough for me to unwind after work, then put the controller down and go read a book or pay my bills or go to sleep or whatever.

I've actually been replaying the "Boathouse" scene for the last few days because I can never get through it without at least one person getting killed or incapacitated at the dock when the boat arrives.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 10:51:10 AM »
Playing with people you know is the key.  We got a three man team and are looking for a fourth.  The AI ruins just about all our strats.
"Ok everyone, shut all these doors and hide in this closet"
And as soon as the horde start coming, Bill runs out, opens all the doors, and dies.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 11:07:49 AM »
We've actually found the AI to be VERY beneficial at times.

No one is better at killing hunters and smokers FAST than the dude with no penis when my friends and I play.

I can't even being to say how many times she's saved our bacon.

Of course, they do do some very stupid things...

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 11:32:30 AM »
For me the fun in the game is the team interaction.

I play online with a group of... unique... individuals.

Some of the most enjoyable times I've had in the past 5 years have been while playing online with them.

I also like the strategy aspects. We kept getting our asses kicked in the final scene at the Hospital. We tried numerous "hold" positions that didn't work, until we finally worked out a strategy for using the stairwell to funnel them into killing zones. It's not perfect, and if a tank gets inside it can really ruin the day, but it's worked fairly well.

There are two "strategies" we have found to work the best for the hospital level.  One is to hide in the closet next to the ammo pile.  We were all armed with shotguns, and operated in two man teams.  Two people to prevent zombies from entering.  If any made it past this first team, then the other two could take em out.  When the tank came, it wouldn't last long with 4 shotguns in an enclosed area.  With this method, if one team ran low on ammo they had cover, or could switch roles, while the other team either went to sidearms or collected more ammo/health.  When we made a dash for the chopper we would throw pipe bombs to keep the herd away.

The other method worked the only time we tried it.  Believe it or not, standing on the radio antenna next to the evac zone actually works (somehow).

This level is the one that makes no sense to me.  Why would they set up an evac area on top of a hospital when an infection is causing a zombie epidemic?  Seems to me that would be the last place anyone would go....

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 12:25:30 PM »
"Why would they set up an evac area on top of a hospital when an infection is causing a zombie epidemic?"

It's a video game.

About zombies.

Stop thinking logically.

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 08:02:54 PM »
I got the PC version for Christmas and quite frankly it rocks. Zombie killing games are my kind of games and this one has just the right mix of storyline and zombie destruction for my gaming style.

So your style is basically, no storyline at all?  :lol:

I love the game. I'm on there as TastyZombieSnack on the PC.
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 08:37:33 PM »
So your style is basically, no storyline at all?  cheesy

:laugh:

KPT

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 03:16:08 AM »
Yeah, and Reavers are just scary bedtime stories too. Just keep thinking that.....

Damn it I feel bad for knowing where that's from. For the record I didn't like that show.

I've actually been replaying the "Boathouse" scene for the last few days because I can never get through it without at least one person getting killed or incapacitated at the dock when the boat arrives.

Its easy. You have to move to the dock after a certain attack wave. Do it too soon and you'll run out of ammo.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 12:02:02 PM »
I like to save bombs and molotovs for the final run to the evac.  Covers your escape really well. 
Damn it I feel bad for knowing where that's from. For the record I didn't like that show.
Waaaaaat...

I'm Choco Taco on Steam these days, I don't play on public servers much because people are idiots, but if you see me, say hi.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 02:56:49 PM »

Blasphemer!
Hi.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 02:59:23 PM »
Blasphemer!
Yea that's what I said.
Then I said, "waaaaaaat"

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2009, 03:00:45 PM »
Witches creep me out.  I loved it when they would spawn in the middle of a train or something we had to go through.   =D
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2009, 03:02:14 PM »
That's another thing about the AI.
I'm usually Zoey because if Zoey is the AI she'll get the Mini14 and waste our time not shooting at ANYTHING.  So Bill is usually left over...
"Ok guys, there's the witch, let's sneak around"
Bill runs up and shoots her in the face.
"HELP HELP I'M BEING REPRESSED" says Bill.
"Um...leave him" says the rest of the team.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2009, 04:05:37 PM »
I think it's good fun.  There is a lot of strategy to it.  Counterstrike is "nothing but a mod" and it's one of the most played games online.  I could see how you could get bored quick though.  No firearm realism whatsoever though.... trying to think of a game I've played recently that DID have decent firearms representation though.  Armed Assualt was good in that aspect, bullet drop and everything.

I am LOVING ArmA!  I bought it for $15 a few months back and although it has some VERY irritating quirks(there's no reason for a modern "realistic" game to lack weapon animations, and some of the missions are still broken despite patches), it's still a blast to play.

I will be buying L4D this weekend, because one of my friends is hosting a LAN party.  L4D and TrackMania are to be the "main" games played.  L4D is fun, but in my opinion not worth $40(I'll still be buying it because I don't want to miss out on the fun).  IMO if you're going to charge that much for a game, it'd better either have a storyline or be MASSIVE(i.e. Unreal Tournament).  By comparison, Oblivion is still getting $40... and it's two years old.  Anyway.

Lots of fun, though, to be the Infected and play against your friends.  It's all the better when you're in the same room :D