Author Topic: Any "treasure" hunters around?  (Read 3813 times)

myrockfight

Any "treasure" hunters around?
« on: December 31, 2008, 06:10:22 PM »
Ever since my neighbor let me use a metal detector when I was nine, I've been interested in treasure hunting and trying to find artifacts, coins, etc. This article reminded me of a job I used to have: http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Construction-workers-uncover-ancient-Spanish-ship-Buenos-Aires/ss/events/sc/123108buenosairesshi#photoViewer=/081230/ids_photos_wl/r3825994176.jpg

Anyone find any more information on that wreck? It got me wondering about it.

I got to thinking that a few of you guys might be interested and/or do a little metal detecting yourselves. I want to get back into it. I used to work on a boat off Jupiter on an unidentified Spanish wreck site. The next season I went to Venezuela to find and bring up Louis XIV's Royal Fleet.

But there is so much red tape involved in working major sites that it isn't worth trying to work them yourself. I have been reading up on finding megaladon teeth and other fossils. Some of them are worth a good bit of jingle. Plus, I used to collect fossils when I was young. You can't beat drumming up a childhood interest and taking it to the next level. I've always wanted to get a little more serious with fossil hunting, I've just never made it a point. There are some decent places down by Venice, FL and in the Peace River to find fossils. That is only an hour or so drive from me.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Any "treasure" hunters around?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 06:15:01 PM »
I look for Native American artifacts in riparian zones.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 07:09:06 PM »
I pick up tools and bungee cords lying in the road ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 07:15:31 PM »
Not to be a stick in the mud with the red tape but,,,  =D

I can't speak for the rest of the US but in CT anyways any artifact found in the ground older than 50 years comes under the jurisdiction of the state archaeologist's office unless it's found on private property which then makes it property of the landowner who then has the option of letting the archaelogist in or not. So, in theory, removing artifacts older than fifty years is in effect, poaching. Generally this is not enforced all that stringently but could be depending on how vigilant the archaelogist wants to be and how valuable the site you disturbed turns out to be if it comes to light. More importantly, when you find and remove artifacts without doing the proper documentation of the site: depth, location in relation to other artifacts, age, possible carbon dateable material, etc etc, you basically destroy any valuable information that might have been gleaned from that site. That is the bigger deal. That info is lost forever because now the artifact is "out of context". If you can put getting rich aside and if you are interested in making a contribution to society find your local archeologist's club (or whatever) and work with them. You'll end up at a lot more known productive spots for one thing because they only look where there is the highest probability of artifacts being located as the research, which is the toughest part, has already been done for you. I started much the way you did, with a metal detector, but in my travels met our state archaeologist and came to regard him quite highly so I've changed my evil ways and took up with him in a more official capacity. I've gotten into many really good sites that would otherwise be off limits to me and it's been a very rewarding experience. I even get to cross the yellow crime scene tape on occasion when human remains are discovered and are determined to be very old as opposed to being recent. That's when they call us in. It's kinda cool acting all nonchalant about a bunch of old bones while the detectives all have the heebie jeebies.   :lol:

besides, it's the only field where you can dig in a hole and act intelligent.  =D

Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 07:18:40 PM »
On average ~ 95% of all archeology in the US is done by volunteers. We joke around a bit about the fact that anywhere else in the world, Egypt for example, the field technicians get paid.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 07:45:33 PM »
Someone working near Jerusalem just now found a cache of hundreds of Byantine gold coins in a wall.

Here, there's a hell of a lot of broken Colonial pottery in the river.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 07:46:51 PM »
Yep, got my bullwhip hanging in a closet, and the Webley in a drawer =D.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 11:20:42 PM »
Once while out fishing along a river bank an older gentleman walked by swinging his metal detector back and forth. He informed me he was looking for arrow heads. :rolleyes:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 11:24:35 PM »
Here in the east National Military Parks are great places for finding civil war era artifacts.

Metal detectors welcome!  :laugh:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 11:45:51 PM »
Also see http://www.geocaching.com

Source of my forum name
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

myrockfight

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 02:43:03 AM »
Not to be a stick in the mud with the red tape but,,,  =D

I can't speak for the rest of the US but in CT anyways any artifact found in the ground older than 50 years comes under the jurisdiction of the state archaeologist's office unless it's found on private property which then makes it property of the landowner who then has the option of letting the archaelogist in or not. So, in theory, removing artifacts older than fifty years is in effect, poaching. Generally this is not enforced all that stringently but could be depending on how vigilant the archaelogist wants to be and how valuable the site you disturbed turns out to be if it comes to light. More importantly, when you find and remove artifacts without doing the proper documentation of the site: depth, location in relation to other artifacts, age, possible carbon dateable material, etc etc, you basically destroy any valuable information that might have been gleaned from that site. That is the bigger deal. That info is lost forever because now the artifact is "out of context". If you can put getting rich aside and if you are interested in making a contribution to society find your local archeologist's club (or whatever) and work with them. You'll end up at a lot more known productive spots for one thing because they only look where there is the highest probability of artifacts being located as the research, which is the toughest part, has already been done for you. I started much the way you did, with a metal detector, but in my travels met our state archaeologist and came to regard him quite highly so I've changed my evil ways and took up with him in a more official capacity. I've gotten into many really good sites that would otherwise be off limits to me and it's been a very rewarding experience. I even get to cross the yellow crime scene tape on occasion when human remains are discovered and are determined to be very old as opposed to being recent. That's when they call us in. It's kinda cool acting all nonchalant about a bunch of old bones while the detectives all have the heebie jeebies.   :lol:

besides, it's the only field where you can dig in a hole and act intelligent.  =D

Good post. Very informative, but I think you may have misunderstood. All the projects I have worked on have been in an "official" capacity where I was employed as a salvage diver. Everything we brought up was cataloged and we always had an archeologist on board. At the time, I'm not even sure if we were required, as per Florida law, but we did anyway. In Venezuela, we were required to have an archeologist on board at all times. John De Bry from the University of Florida was working with us there. Obviously, everything was cataloged, mapped out, etc for study.

In Florida, anything that you find on land you can keep. On beaches, if you can stand in the water and you find something, you can keep it. If the water is over your head and you find something, you have to file for permits, the state gets a percentage, etc. There is a lot of red tape involved, which is why I said in my first post, "But there is so much red tape involved in working major sites that it isn't worth trying to work them yourself."

Breaking the law in itself isn't worth it. However, I also believe in contributing to the greater good and knowledge of anthropological and archeological knowledge. So I would never steal anything from a major dig or site, etc. I would also be happy to let an archeologist examine the individual finds that I would expect to get while exploring, digging, or detecting by myself or with friends.

Yeah. It isn't worth getting in trouble over. Happy New Years! Just got back from the partay!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 08:09:44 AM »
Ohhhh, my bad!  :laugh: