Author Topic: OO-RAH!  (Read 1913 times)

Agent P

OO-RAH!
« on: October 29, 2005, 09:03:30 AM »
Yesterday my brother Matthew graduated from Parris Island as a newly minted Marine. We drove all night Wednesday to get there Thursday morning for Family Day and the emblem ceremony. He showed us around the base and where he lived, and we met his drill instructor. On Friday was the graduation ceremony, and it was awesome to see all these young men in their shiny boots, marching precisely. I am so proud of him!

PFC Matthew Burke

Matt was only one point off from a perfect score with the rifle. He made 'sharpshooter'. Hmm. Our oldest brother is in the Air Force (currently in Kuwait until March), and he also was always, like, two off from a perfect score. Family curse?
~Pamela

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

griz

• friend
OO-RAH!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 10:21:06 AM »
Thanks and congratulations to him. You have good reason to be proud. Thumbs up to both of you. Smiley
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
OO-RAH!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 10:39:09 AM »
umm...I think one point off perfect would be Expert.

"To qualify as marksman, Marines will need to score between a 190 to 209, a 210 to 219 for sharpshooter and an expert needs 220 or more. "

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marinetrng/a/riflequalify.htm

Regardless, congratulations to your brother and your family.  Ours is a small fraternity few would understand.
Semper Fi,
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
OO-RAH!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 11:26:24 AM »
My salute to an honored protector of our country. May he serve well.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
OO-RAH!
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 11:36:18 AM »
Congratulations!  Tell him welcome to the fold.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Moondoggie

• friend
OO-RAH!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 11:51:08 AM »
Congratulations to your brother and Semper Fi!

Not to pile-on, but I agree that your brother shot 219 out of 250 possible points and earned his Sharpshooter Badge.  Nothing to sneeze at!

Each range in the Marine Corps posts the annual (to date) record high score on a large sign near the entrance...I've never heard of anybody shooting above 246 out of 250 with a service rifle.  Range records usually run about 243/244...and that's GOOD Shootin'!!!
Known from coast to coast, almost!

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
OO-RAH!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 12:53:52 PM »
Hey, I just had a buddy graduate from MCRD San Diego yesterday, too.  Congrat him for me.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'