Author Topic: OK, which of you APS'ers was it?  (Read 4722 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
OK, which of you APS'ers was it?
« on: January 09, 2009, 09:09:50 PM »
Dasmi, you didn't try to pick up your brother at the airport while on your way to the range did you?  LOL :lol:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,478864,00.html

Motorist Holding 30 Handguns, 7 Rifles Arrested Outside L.A. Airport

LOS ANGELES —  A motorist with 30 handguns, seven rifles and fully loaded ammunition magazines in his pickup truck has been arrested at Los Angeles International Airport.

Airport spokeswoman Nancy Castles says the truck was stopped Friday by airport police officers at an entrance to the passenger terminals area.

Castles says the man was arrested for investigation of weapons transportation violations. His name was not immediately released.

Airport police official Jim Holcomb told the KCAL-TV news station that there's no indication the man was out to do any harm at the airport. He was apparently picking someone up.

The FBI, the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and the Los Angeles Police Department are investigating.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: OK, which of you APS'ers was it?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 09:13:27 PM »
Deeply insufficient firepower.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 09:28:10 PM »
What do you know, they called 'em magazines.

Knock me over with a feather.
Andy

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 09:42:01 PM »
Yea, fully loaded magazines at that.  Wonder why they were loaded. ;/

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 09:48:26 PM »

At least the reporter didn't call them clips. Again.
Andy

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 09:48:47 PM »

'Cuz if they were only halfway loaded, it would have been perfectly reasonable.  Say, perhaps, to only 10 rounds each?  I'm sure they would have just waved him on in, knowing he was obviously one of the good guys.   =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 09:51:25 PM »
Airport police official Jim Holcomb told the KCAL-TV news station that there's no indication the man was out to do any harm at the airport. He was apparently picking someone up.

...wait, let me get this straight.

The police don't think this guy was a terrorist or anyhow planning to do anybody harm in any way. He was not planning to smuggle the guns aboard the plane.

So why is this newsworthy again?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 10:02:29 PM »

The police don't think this guy was a terrorist or anyhow planning to do anybody harm in any way. He was not planning to smuggle the guns aboard the plane.

Because it's LA, where you aren't supposed to have guns. Unless you are a member of a gang. Then it's alright.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 11:03:50 PM »

Because a man was arrested for doing nothing other than having guns in his vehicle on airport land...das ist verboten.

He had lots of evil objects and he was up to no bad. He must be punished.

Assuming he has no felonies (and he does now) he should been told to leave post haste and never try something that stupid again.

I'd like to see some brave soul try to check in that many guns and fly somewhere.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 11:16:38 PM »
That's ok, my friend, probably the mildest, gentlest guy you'll ever meet was bringing his cousin a belt to Fla in his carryon a week ago. Trouble was, the belt buckle was a set of brass knuckles and he had no idea. They arrested him, took him away to somewhere else in the airport (Bradley International), booked him, gave him a summons and then let him go in time to make the flight. When he got back he had to go to court and they nolled the charges. We're all like, "W-W-W-W-HAAAAT?!?!!"  :O when he was telling us the story.   :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 11:33:49 PM »
is it actually a felony in CA to have a weapon on airport property?
Story doesn't say if the weapons were loaded, only the (detachable?) magazines.
Would be a non-issue here in the vehicle areas of the airport.
And it is legal to take a weapon into an airport if you are taking it in to check as luggage so I wonder if this is going to end up like the hunter in Denver during the DNC convention???
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 12:25:12 AM »
IIR, transportation laws in Ca are pretty strict. Ammo must be in a separate, locked compartment away from the guns. Then the whole "cased" thing for the guns, which isn't mentioned, might come into play.  Seems like an overreaction, IMO.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 01:16:06 AM »
Seems like an overreaction, IMO.
The entire state of California is one giant overreaction.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 01:16:57 AM »
HTG FTW
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 09:31:39 AM »
Assuming he has no felonies (and he does now)

no
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 09:32:42 AM »
Assuming he has no felonies (and he does now)

no

This would depend very much on California law.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 09:39:11 AM »
not particularly smooth

one would wonder what tipped off the gendarmerie

mayhaps we could have a competition!

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 11:28:15 AM »
That's what I was wondering, Harold.  Why did they search the guy's in the first place?

My guess is that he was dressed in totally tactical clothing, his car was painted in camo, and had all of the arms velcroed to the inside and outside of his car for easy access.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 12:00:39 PM »
Because a man was arrested for doing nothing other than having guns in his vehicle on airport land...das ist verboten

Must be a Cali thing because I alway kept my personal sidearm on when going to the airport to pick someone up.  Just as long as I didn't attempt to go into the secure zone I was fine.  At least in Arizona I was.  Maryland, that's a different story.  Gotta leave the sidearm at home when I go to BWI. 

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 05:39:16 AM »
'Cuz if they were only halfway loaded, it would have been perfectly reasonable.  Say, perhaps, to only 10 rounds each?  I'm sure they would have just waved him on in, knowing he was obviously one of the good guys.   =D

Thread winner here.
One day at a time.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 10:24:32 AM »
That's what I was wondering, Harold.  Why did they search the guy's in the first place?

My guess is that he was dressed in totally tactical clothing, his car was painted in camo, and had all of the arms velcroed to the inside and outside of his car for easy access.

One of the drug/explosives sniffer dogs probably picked up the scent of gun powder. I would assume that sweeping the parking lot at certain times is now SOP.

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 08:03:16 PM »
This would depend very much on California law.
not a felony till your convicted
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 08:04:45 PM »
not a felony till your convicted

Well yes, but aren't they going to file charges and try him?

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2009, 08:05:47 PM »
they got him on a technicality for not taking his oll ebr directly to and from approved places. he might be the right guy to take a case though the courts.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2009, 09:54:07 PM »
The entire state of California is one giant overreaction.

Frakkin' A.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour