Author Topic: A Sticky Situation on The Porcelain Throne....  (Read 4552 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
A Sticky Situation on The Porcelain Throne....
« on: November 02, 2005, 07:25:35 PM »
I wonder what brand glue they used?

---------------------------------

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/11/02/D8DKMTUG1.html

A hardware retailer Home Depot has found itself in a sticky situation, defending a lawsuit filed by a man who claims the chain's Louisville store ignored his cries for help after he fell victim to a prank and was glued to a toilet seat.

Bob Dougherty, 57, of Nederland, said he became stuck to a bathroom toilet seat on which somebody had smeared glue on Oct. 30, 2003, and felt "tremendous panic" when he realized he was stuck.

"They left me there, going through all that stress," Dougherty told The (Boulder) Daily Camera. "They just let me rot."

His lawsuit, filed Friday said Dougherty was recovering from heart bypass surgery at the time and thought he was having a heart attack. A store employee who heard him calling for help informed the head clerk via radio, but the head clerk "believed it to be a hoax," the lawsuit said.

Home Depot spokeswoman Kathryn Gallagher said she could not comment on pending litigation.

The lawsuit said after about 15 minutes, store officials called for an ambulance. Paramedics unbolted the toilet seat, and while wheeling a "frightened and humiliated" Dougherty out of the store, he passed out.

The lawsuit said the toilet seat separated from his skin, leaving abrasions.

"This is not Home Depot's fault," he said. "But I am blaming them for letting me hang in there and just ignoring me."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

onions!

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 02:22:49 AM »
If his suit flys I wonder if I can sue them for,when they only have one check-out lane open,my arms get tired & I get all sweaty & flustered.I mean really,I've cried out for another clerk-only to have my cries of panicked,desperate anguish ignored.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 04:13:28 AM »
I wonder if I can sue them for,when they only have one check-out lane open
Taking my own thread on a tangent -- the best thing they ever did as far as I'm concerned is go the self-checkout route. Those lines just go way faster, probably because there's no check writing going on. I'm so used to using those lines now that when I was in there last week, I just about cried from having to wait in a half mile line to buy a stinkin' tube of silicone because the self-checkouts were getting maintenance done.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 05:57:41 AM »
"This is not Home Depot's fault," he said. "But I am blaming them for letting me hang in there and just ignoring me."
Uh, Brainiac, if it's not their fault, why are you blaming them?

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 06:03:09 AM »
To be honest, he should sue himself for putting his butt down on one of those disgusting rings in the first place.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 06:09:08 AM »
To be honest, he should sue himself for putting his butt down on one of those disgusting rings in the first place.
Ya freakin' got that right! If I have to get anywhere near most public toilets, it's double seat gaskets and then I paint my butt with mercurochrome before I sit down.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 06:19:49 AM »
Uh, Brainiac, if it's not their fault, why are you blaming them?
Click here
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 06:19:54 AM »
I'm lucky in that the Home Depot is only about 1/2 mile from my house, so if I run into a problem, I can rush home.

If worse comes to worse, though, I'll simply grab a bottle of denatured alcohol from the paint section and flood the seat before I gasket it.

I know one person who carries around a little bottle of sanitizer solution that she applies to the ring before she sits.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

matis

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 06:41:48 AM »
Hey, it coulda been worse.

How about that guy whose ex, while he slept,  glued his penis to his leg, his testicals down and his buttocks together.

Pretty magic, that glue!

See, it coulda been worse.

(Chassidisha saying: I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes, until I saw the man who had no feet.)

Wink

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 07:09:14 AM »
I know one person who carries around a little bottle of sanitizer solution that she applies to the ring before she sits.
Not being a Peeping Tom, I only hear this second-hand, but I'm told women's public restrooms are WAY more disgusting than Men's. I find that hard to believe considering the contortionist positions I have to put myself in not to be standing ankle-deep in urine while trying to use the urinal.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 07:17:04 AM »
"I find that hard to believe considering the contortionist positions I have to put myself in not to be standing ankle-deep in urine while trying to use the urinal."

I, too, find that hard to believe.

I work in a building where many of the individuals have advanced degrees or held positions of high importance. On my floor there are at least two dozen PhDs, several retired Generals, at least two retired Admirals, one former high up with a government intelligence agency, etc.

It's unbelievable how few of these people can actually use the urinals.

By the end of the day it's absolutely disgusting.

A few weeks ago I hung a sign over the urinals... "Stand Closer, Guys, It's Not As Long As You Think. You're Pissing On The Floor."

Normally by 3 p.m. I won't even use the restroom unless I'm desperate.

onions!

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 08:02:59 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
"Stand Closer, Guys, It's Not As Long As You Think. You're Pissing On The Floor."
Dang!That's funny!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 08:03:02 AM »
Glue like cyanoacrylates (SuperGlue) that set hard enough and quickly enough to stick you to a toilet seat would have dried by the time the "gluer" had turned around and walked away. There would certainly not be enough viable adhesive left by the time Mr. Dougherty walked up, examined the object in question, and sat down for it to adhere his skin to the seat through his clothes. If there was a pool of glue large enough to have A) still been liquid and B) contained enough volume to soak through his clothes, it would have been "visually significant" (i.e. you would have seen it).

Seems awfully suspicious. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2005, 08:08:25 AM »
"Glue like cyanoacrylates (SuperGlue) that set hard enough and quickly enough to stick you to a toilet seat would have dried by the time the "gluer" had turned around "

Not necessarily true. If the glue is puddled, it won't dry nearly as quickly. I tried gluing my glasses the other night (MTNBRK's daughter got hold of them). The glue was still not even beginning to set up nearly 20 minutes later when I abandoned the "super, super superdooper glue" that Chris had and went to plan B.

And, as disgusting as it sounds, I suspect that there are a LOT of people who don't inspect the ring before they plop their butts down on it.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2005, 08:17:57 AM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2005, 09:29:52 AM »
The glue was still not even beginning to set up nearly 20 minutes later when I abandoned the "super, super superdooper glue" that Chris had and went to plan B.
JB Weld. And duct tape. Lots and lots of duct tape. Cheesy

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2005, 09:59:41 AM »
JB Weld was plan b.

It kept my glasses together for 3 days (sort of) until I could get my new frames.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2005, 10:09:15 AM »
Speaking of glue, that's what they used to put me back together last week.  I have 4 incisions closed up with medical glue.  Kinda neat...

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2005, 10:29:43 AM »
I superglued my hand back together this summer.

I cut a nasty U shaped slice at the base of my left ring finger and across the top of my palm. Couldn't keep the cut closed with bandages, so I used super glue. Worked like an absolute champ.

Paddy

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2005, 12:39:34 PM »
Didn't he use an assgasket?  I always use an assgasket in a public restroom.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2005, 12:45:04 PM »
You are all scared of the public toliets?  A lot worse microbes are found in other places you don't think twice about exposing yourself to. Change you recieve back from a cashier is one.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2005, 02:15:20 PM »
http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2005/11/03/man_sues_ex_girlfriend_over_glue_attack/

Even better story& I won't post exactly what happened so as not to offend someones grand-ma.

But I will say that it had to have been painful and humiliating... and I would NEVER want to get a woman that mad at me.

Strings

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2005, 06:58:26 PM »
>A few weeks ago I hung a sign over the urinals... "Stand Closer, Guys, It's Not As Long As You Think. You're Pissing On The Floor."<

Ok... Mike, you owe me a new keboard. Do you have ANY idea how hard it is to clean little pieces of peanut out?!?!?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2005, 07:03:11 PM »
I wish it were funny, gentlemen.

A few days ago (my sign disappeared within hours) it looked as if an incontinent elephant had strayed into the men's room and let loose.

I now know why they shampoo the carpets on that hall at least every other week -- to get rid of the stale piss smell.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2005, 07:29:16 PM »
Speaking of glue, that's what they used to put me back together last week.  I have 4 incisions closed up with medical glue.  Kinda neat...
...I cut a nasty U shaped slice at the base of my left ring finger and across the top of my palm. Couldn't keep the cut closed with bandages, so I used super glue. Worked like an absolute champ
That reminds me that I recently read that emergency  room doctors have, for many years, been using "superglue" as such. It was only very recently, apparently that some medical genius discovered that you could get 10x as much money, ounce for ounce from superglue labeled as medical glue.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"