Author Topic: Finally! A PETA stance that I fully agree with.  (Read 3661 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Finally! A PETA stance that I fully agree with.
« on: January 21, 2009, 08:51:29 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, I don't want to ever see him play pro ball again. I only want to see him with a pit bull firmly affixed to his crotch.

As far as the psycho workup, Newkerk needs to schedule a trip to the phrenologist, too...

NEW YORK (AP)—PETA has withdrawn an offer to televise an anti-dogfighting public service announcement with Michael Vick after his release from prison.

The organization said Wednesday that an agreement was reached with Vick’s representatives to shoot the spot, but that Vick’s attorneys sought assurance from PETA the group would support Vick’s return to the NFL.

“Saying sorry and getting his ball back after being caught enjoying killing dogs in hideously cruel ways for many years doesn’t cut it,” said PETA president Ingrid E. Newkirk. “Commissioner Goodell knows that he has an obligation to the league and to millions of fans, including children who look up to ballplayers as idols, to make sure that Michael Vick is mentally capable of remorse before he can touch, let alone wear, an NFL uniform again.”

PETA is urging that Vick undergo a brain scan and a full psychiatric evaluation.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Teknoid

Re: Finally! A PETA stance that I fully agree with.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 09:14:20 PM »
Just goes to show that even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.

I'm surprised PETA actually made a wise decision. Quite out of character for them.

I think they should also do a brain scan of their members, though (If the machine can scan things that small).

Remember, these are the same people who think setting a farm full of domestic minks free in the winter is a good idea. I still recall that one. All the critters croaked within a day. Very humane of them.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 09:20:14 PM »
What the heck is a brain scan?
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 09:21:10 PM »
What the heck is a brain scan?
CAT scan, maybe?

Josh Aston

• Future President of Texas
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 09:23:16 PM »
I'm from Texas, what country are you from?

Aston for POTUS Republic of Texas - 2016

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 09:28:36 PM »
Oh okay...  Thanks.[/hijack]
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 09:50:43 PM »
Or, in this case, the aptly named PET scan.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 10:36:22 PM »
Or, in this case, the aptly named PET scan.

That's just doggone funny!
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

JBURGII

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 10:57:29 PM »
Don't forget a Lab test or a Cat scan.. heartworms..? Cut his head off to check for rabies?

Rev. J

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 11:11:29 PM »
He did his time.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 11:28:24 PM »
If I had a football team and the NFL allowed it I would hire Vick in a nanosecond. Not as a QB but as an option back.

Of course I was never that outraged at how he disposed of his property. I thought it was stupid and a waste, but his perogitive. Would I do what he did? No. Would I be friends with someone who did? No. Would I hire him with some strong behavior clauses in his contract? Yes. I don't see how it would be a problem. The PETA morons and their sympathizers are very small minority. And for the rest of the outraged once enough time has passed most would get over it.

If PETA was getting too much traction in the media I would take out all manner of anti-PETA ads showing just how anti-human they are. Plus have anti-PETA events at the stadium, and show them in all their lunacy.  That would be enough to neutralize the issue.

Lastly, I thought that his paying fines going to jail over this issue was absurd and yet another example of the nanny state oozing it's bile all over the place.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
I prefer not to argue the issue on forums with large proportion of pet owners. It's almost tantamount to flamebait.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 11:36:01 PM »
I am a pet owner as well.

Some people though, are way out there on animal issues.

They anthropormorphize their relationship with their pets and lose sight of the fact that animals are property to be disposed of as the property owner sees fit.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 11:43:28 PM »
Animals aren't people, but that doesn't mean we should be cruel to them.

Although I do agree, Vick has done his time and he should get a chance to rebuild his life.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 12:14:49 AM »
True. Cruelty is wrong and the person should be ostracized..but jailed? No.

I don't understand the appeal of any of these animal fighting things. Cocks, dogs, monkeys...whatever.

I consider it low rent behavior and would not want to be around it. But I cannot support it being made or kept illegal.

I feel the same way about boxing and MMA, I won't watch it but I don't want the state involved.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 08:34:29 AM »
here in ny it is unlawful to drop an unwanted pet at an animal shelter, but a baby can be dropped off at an er without any questions.......i know there is a logical answer to explain this, but it still wreaks of irony.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 09:16:40 AM »
I thought the cock/dog fighting laws were state laws, not federal.  That is the proper venue for it.  I thought it was the gambling that gets the feds involved. 

As for PETA, it would seem hypocritical of them to support his reentry into the NFL just for doing a commercial. 
Considering other people that the NFL has brought back in, I don't see how Vick is any worse. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 09:19:15 AM »
As for PETA, it would seem hypocritical of them to support his reentry into the NFL just for doing a commercial. 

As if that ever stopped PETA before.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 02:21:45 AM »
PETA is urging that Vick undergo a brain scan and a full psychiatric evaluation.

Kettle, meet pot.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 05:20:01 AM »
I prefer not to argue the issue on forums with large proportion of pet owners. It's almost tantamount to flamebait.

Ok, there's a certain amount of irony right there. Why the sudden change of heart?

Other topics started or added to by our very own MB the Obtuse have certainly gone that route.

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread, but that caveat's never stopped you from stirring the pot before.

IMHO, Vick is no longer NFL material.  He blew the chance to represent the league once he was found guilty. 

I'd wager in the sports world, they'd have to reinstate Pete Rose first, and he was just guilty of gambling...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 05:22:32 AM »
I try to avoid arguing animal rights/cruelty, religion, the legality of certain sexual practices (ones I've not yet defended on this forum), and the science of global warming. And some other stuff.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 11:46:18 AM »
"IMHO, Vick is no longer NFL material.  He blew the chance to represent the league once he was found guilty."

Bingo.

Whether they like it or not, sports stars are role models. The NFL knows that and knows that a star player's image also reflects heavily on the entire league and the entire game. The companies that canceled his contracts to represent their products know it, too.

Vick lost his ability to be a role model when he started pitting dogs against one another for his own amusement. The NFL is correct in thinking that there's absolutely no redemption for him from the standpoint of his ability to effectively be an ambassador of the game. Any continued association with him only degrades and diminishes the the sport, it doesn't enhance it.

And I personally don't think there's any redemption for him from the standpoint that I believe he feels like he is above the law, sees nothing wrong with what he did, and feels as if he is being persecuted. That's certainly the stance taken by many of his supporters -- it's a "cultural thing." Well, it's a cultural thing for some people to own slaves, but we don't allow that any longer.

As far as I say, let the persecution continue unto death.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 12:09:10 PM »
PETA did the math and calculated that if the rejected Vick then they would get X amount of publicity

They already got their PR bounce when they announced the deal

PETA announces wacky crap purely because it gets into the news cycle, and some little old lady sends them money
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 04:40:17 PM »
True. Cruelty is wrong and the person should be ostracized..but jailed? No.

BS, I only wish he had done more time.
Its true they are property but they have a right not to be treated cruelly, you're not even allowed to treat food (animals ) cruelly.
Animal cruelty is illegal because it is disgusting, sickening and only sociopaths would do something like that.
We can't change a sociopaths mind, but we can make it stop.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 05:00:45 PM by gunsmith »
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2009, 07:00:43 PM »
here in ny it is unlawful to drop an unwanted pet at an animal shelter,

are you kidding?

jfuser i agree with most of what you said but hes screwed in the nfl. if this was his first/only offense that would be one thing. this was the straw that broke the camels back
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I