Author Topic: Need help with my laptop...  (Read 1331 times)

w turner

Need help with my laptop...
« on: November 05, 2005, 07:02:05 AM »
.....ok this has got to be a simple fix.  My laptop that is issued by my company has started going all wonky on me.  It's gotta be an easy fix, but this laptop is an older Gateway Solo.

Over the past few days it has started flashing up a message on the screen when using Internet Explorer that states the following.....

This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

Then it pretty much requires that I close and re-start I/E.  It doesn't do it on this website or THR, Glocktalk.  Only when I go to different boards does it do it.

There is no telling how old this laptop is or what has been done to it in the past.  right now it's running windows 98 and works ok with all other programs.  

Any ideas?

Thanks everybody,

W

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 07:35:09 AM »
Running win 98?
Upgrade to at least W2k.  Seriously.

If not, you may be able to fix the problem by either un/reinstalling IE (Ctrl Panel>Add/Rmv Programs>Windows Components>uncheck IE, reboot, go back and RE-check it), or the first thing I'd try is to run Windows Updates (which will include IE updates as well).

Best of luck.
Fig

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 07:40:18 AM »
http://search.microsoft.com/search/r...u=explorer.exe

You may also have a virus/viruses so run a scan for them.

Not sure if you have admin rights to do much good.  Meaning  - anything new been installed, downloaded, or any attachments opened?

What about this laptop having anything besides Virus protection, to protect Windows vulnerable tendencies  such as Ad-Aware, SpyBot Search&Destroy, Firewalls?  These are free as are AVG Anti-virus and Kerio Firewall ( these two are compatable btw).

All those *#$&  MS Critical Updates 'current"?

Oh...unless you have to use IE - don't. Get Firefox or something else.
Same for Email, use Thunderbird or something - anything besides Outlook Express, and stay away from AOL, MSN, Yahoo and such email clients as well.

More I have to use MS for College - the more I am drawn to Penguins and Apples. Tongue

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 08:08:37 AM »
Quote from: sm
More I have to use MS for College - the more I am drawn to Penguins and Apples. Tongue
+1, Steve-o!

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 10:46:55 AM »
Young'un, not everyone can be the smartest fella - trick is to NOT be dumbest ass in the bunch - Mentor & Elder of mine.

I had some right smart Mentors and Elders I tell ya Smiley

At this point I am #3 in this one class, never been higher never been lower - for this class, I'll take it and run.
Out of 20 folks starting the semester, we now only have 9 of us left. "Hold on Snoopy - hold on"...semester gotta end sometime.

Tongue

w turner

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 06:17:48 AM »
Thanks for the help guys.  I ended up going to microsoft.com and getting all fo their recommended upgrades.  It seems to have fixed the problems I was having.  I am not comfortable changing anything else because this is not my personal laptop.  It is owned by the comapny and is only temporarily assigned to me while I am traveling.

Thanks for the help guys,

W

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 08:56:25 AM »
If it is a company laptop, turn it in to the IT guys and let them deal with it.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 08:57:49 AM »
I'm just glad all this crap me & sm are having to learn is helping SOMEONE... Wink