Author Topic: Good Arctic Parka?  (Read 25667 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Re: Good Arctic Parka?
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 05:02:23 PM »
Quote from: Maned
Yup. Here's examples of the tags in the REAL ones. I was lucky enough to find a new contract one. Made in the US, and wow, are those zippers sturdy, and the loft is nothing like the cheap copies. It's not even the same jacket at all, it's definitely solid equipment meant for aircrews.

i.e. it comes with special pockets for an iPod, Gameboy, cable tv remote control and the keys to the cocoa machine.

=D

Good piece of gear, but I recommend a solid shell and layering.  Especially if you're going to be working outdoors; you want to be able to vent or lighten your insulation once you get warmed up.  Unzipping a parka just dumps your warm air.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 05:08:07 PM »

Ooh I want one. Looks like a nice "throw on to make a quick trip in a freezing vehicle" piece. How much would they go for, should you happen to find one?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2009, 05:09:14 PM »
I have one.

I'll bet Lennyjoe has one, too.  ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2009, 05:12:02 PM »
kinda a high price to get one like that.  i got one of the insulated flight suits the easy way.  bought em off a widow lady at a yard sale.  almost too warm to do any work in.  gotta take off hat to radiate some heat
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 05:37:26 PM »
My Russian Delta Jacket is probably good to about 0ºF (-18 ºC or thereabouts). But I don't know if I could rely on it any lower than that. Especially as the hood is rubbish.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!