Author Topic: Good Arctic Parka?  (Read 25668 times)

wacki

• friend
Good Arctic Parka?
« on: January 29, 2009, 10:29:18 PM »
I'm looking for a good Artic Parka to help me through this cold weather that doesn't cost as much as a M1 Garand like the North Face variants.  Canadian, Swiss, US, Russian surplus, Local Alaskan makes .... whatever you got.

Any recommendations for online stores and/or brands are welcome.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Good Arctic Parka?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 10:34:28 PM »
parka to get you through the global warming climate change?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

wacki

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 10:47:18 PM »
parka to get you through the global warming climate change?

All future posters, plz don't hijack this thread with politics.  All I want is a warm coat.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 11:25:46 PM »
Check what Cabelas has.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 11:33:57 PM »
What type of temperatures are you talking about?

How are you going to use it? Buzzing around town ie car to store, house to car etc... or are you going to be exposed to the elements for extended periods of time like while hunting or hiking?

Is a waterproof/breathable shell material (ie GoreTex etc...) needed or is a water resistant shell good enough?

Dedicated cold weather jacket or something you can use fall/winter/spring?

Check what Cabelas has.
+1
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 11:45:51 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 11:51:25 PM »
But we could keep you warm, arguing with you about Global Warming. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 11:55:04 PM »
FWIW, my old Eddie Bauer has been riding in the passenger seat of my car most of the winter... I've got a vest and a nice comfy wool shirt with long sleeves and a quilted lining, and that's been the outerwear for 95% of the time so far... I guess I've been spending so much time in the garage that I'm somewhat used to the weather.
Blog under construction

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 11:57:11 PM »
Well, if layering has failed you, Cabela's does have a couple really good deals that will keep you very warm.

Cabela's Mountain Down Jacket $70 - http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&cmCat=Related_IPL_923016&id=0047906923018a

Cabela's 650 Goose Down Jacket $50 - http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&cmCat=Related_IPL_922392&id=0047907923016a

If you need something warmer than those, we'll teach you how to layer.  :lol:

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 11:58:17 PM »
Just gut a polar bear and wear the hide. =D
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 12:11:13 AM »
Keep an eye on Steepandcheap.com until something pops up, or go to Backcountry.com and find a parka on discount or clearance. If you watch steepandcheap for a couple days a "Luft" jacket should cycle through for about $100.

If you have any outdoors retailers in the area you might want to go look for closeouts of last years models. Yesterday I scored a $275 Marmot down parka for $98 at Sportsman's Warehouse.

wacki

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 12:56:58 AM »
water resistant shell good enough?

Yes.  I already have a northface.  I'll mostly use this on days like a week ago when the thermometer was reading -35 and I was snow blowing a rather long driveway or something similar.

Who needs waterproof stuff when there's a foot of snow.... not me.

wacki

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 01:02:43 AM »

I might buy this one since it protects down to -40C/F and comes in the hard to find large-tall:
http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/afgan_parka.htm

Shipping from Europe may be a royal pain in the arse though...

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 01:22:31 AM »
N-3B. Real contract supplier, not crappy Chinese copy.

Style? No.

Warm, but not ever too warm? Very very yes.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 02:21:42 AM »
Define Arctic.

I have a custom made Posh House parka that's good to about -60  F while still being comfortable.  It costs more then a Garand though.  If you're actually talking Arctic (below about -30F and wind) and you plan on being out in the weather for long periods don't cheap out.  Figure on $500 parka, and about that for a good ruff to protect your face.  (mine is wolf and beaver.  Great stuff)  Frost bite truely sucks.

If on the other hand you're talking about 30 to -5F or so and short amounts of time outside, then you can get by with less.  If you dont mind camo a Gen 2 ECWCS Gore-tex works really well.  I've seen them for around $200 and they're lighter and more comfy then most surplus parkas.  If you don't want cammo, the better Columbia Sportswear jackets, or HH, North face, and Marmot all make decent coats.  Carhart also puts out a nice, tough line for the above zero days.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 03:35:47 AM »
Surplus items for cold extremes tend to be on the heavy side. I have a "Redline" Mountain Equipment (U.K.) down expedition jacket I bought in the mid 1970s for c.100 Pounds Sterling. A similar item today costs about $500 or more. It has served me very well, and is still in great condition after all these years.

I would spring for a high quality jacket with a Goretex (or similar fabric) shell. If you can find one heavily discounted - and there are tons of dead stock items available on the web now - fine. If you have to spend alittle more than you wanted, I would say do it anyway. Taken care of, it is a good investment that will last a long time. they are light, will pack relatively small when needed.

---------------------------------

http://gtr5.com
http://ssunitedstates.org

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 05:48:03 AM »
LL Bean Maine Warden's Parka gets VERY high marks from a friend of mine who lives in Vermont.

She and her entire family have them.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 09:32:45 AM »
My favorite "dry but bitingly cold with wind" coat is my B3 shearling, but that's also a bit expensive. Completely stops all wind, though, and the air pockets make it WARM. A good one will indeed be well-treated sheepskin leather, not wool bits glued to leather, and be about $600 or more.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 09:36:58 AM by Manedwolf »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 09:42:29 AM »
I'm good from 40+ to 0 degrees with just a North Face Fleece. I can wear this walking up to a half mile with 10-15mph with no problem. If its really windy or colder I wear a wind proof shell jacket over it. I also wear a Mountain Hardware fleece/goretex hat and a pair of lined deer skin gloves (40g thinsulate) I got in trade for a deer hide last year.

To me wearing a hat makes the diference between being warm and cold.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 11:00:05 AM »
I also wear a Mountain Hardware fleece/goretex hat

You wearing a Mountain Hardwear Dome Perignon Hat? I love mine and wear it all winter.

I have a 650 fill Cabela down jacket that has kept me warm for several years now down into temps below zero. This season I picked up an REI 700 fill down jacket that has a down filled hood also. That with my layers and shells should keep me good well into double digit below zero temps. Also snagged some Baffin boots rated for -148 on super clearance at REI, cost me 50 bucks for a pair that are still on Zappos for $185!
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 11:08:12 AM »
You wearing a Mountain Hardwear Dome Perignon Hat? I love mine and wear it all winter.

Transition Dome is the one I have. Funny thing is my wife found it while walking the dog a couple winters ago, she tossed it in the wash and I have been attached to it ever since.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 11:12:53 AM by Charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 11:36:44 AM »
Land's End makes good down jackets at good prices.  They aren't sexy like the surplus stuff or the mountaineering wannabe coats, but they're excellent jackets for wearing around town.  They're prolly on sale this time of year, too.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 11:40:13 AM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 11:45:12 AM »
I've got an M-65 made by Rothco that is probably the warmest coat I've ever owned.  I've had double-lined Columbia ski jackets and such in the past and this blows 'em away without being too hot.  I'm not sure how they pull it off, but it's great.

Only thing it could do better would be cover the neck a bit, but a scarf can take care of that easily.   I think an M-65 goes for about $50 or so, but I got mine for Christmas so I don't know.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 12:53:41 PM »
I'll second the genuine N3B parka, if you can find it.  Sportsman's Guide and all of the Army/Navy stores I've seen only offer the Chinese copy.  I got mine from an Air Guard guy who was retiring, and it has been great for the cold snaps that New England has been getting this season.  It is terrible for hiking or snowshoeing, however, as it very quickly gets too hot.  Great for standing around or sucking on an oxygen mask at 30,000 feet, though.

AZRedhawk44 is right about the M-65 (with the field jacket liner).  Warm, but the hood is a joke.  I remember seeing a replacement fur-rimmed hood that zipped in, but a quick search today revealed nothing.  The M-65 is still a standard-issue clothing item in the Army Guard, but most of our guys prefer the Gore-Tex/Polarfleece combo or the new 7-layer system (if they're lucky enough to have it issued).  For your own purchase, however, the M-65 is definitely the least expensive choice.  Be sure and get a US-made version, I don't like the Chinese copies that I've seen.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 01:42:28 PM »
I'll second the genuine N3B parka, if you can find it.  Sportsman's Guide and all of the Army/Navy stores I've seen only offer the Chinese copy.  I got mine from an Air Guard guy who was retiring, and it has been great for the cold snaps that New England has been getting this season.  It is terrible for hiking or snowshoeing, however, as it very quickly gets too hot.  Great for standing around or sucking on an oxygen mask at 30,000 feet, though.

Yup. Here's examples of the tags in the REAL ones. I was lucky enough to find a new contract one. Made in the US, and wow, are those zippers sturdy, and the loft is nothing like the cheap copies. It's not even the same jacket at all, it's definitely solid equipment meant for aircrews.

Newer model: matte material, synthetic fur hood

Older model: nylon sheen, real foxfur