Author Topic: Does Michael Phelps deserve a break?  (Read 29270 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
Does Michael Phelps deserve a break?
« on: February 03, 2009, 08:17:17 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090203/ap_on_re_us/phelps_role_model_2

NEW YORK – A young man appears to be smoking pot at a party. Big deal, right? Our new president has freely admitted doing just that in his youth — inhaling, too — and it didn't derail him one bit. So should we expect more of Michael Phelps?

It depends on what we want and expect our youthful role models to be: perfect, or flawed like the rest of us.

And so as the Olympic swimmer's many corporate sponsors were wrestling with their options Monday, a day after an embarrassing photo emerged of the decorated athlete appearing to inhale from a bong, some were looking at the bright side.

"We should grab this teachable moment," said Lisa Bain, executive editor of Parenting magazine. "It's a good opportunity to talk to your kids about role models. They're human. They're not gods."

"Any conversation you can have with your kids about the choices people make, especially those they hold up as role models, is a good thing," Bain said.

To her and to many others, there's no question that Phelps is a role model for young kids, as opposed to, say, a mere celebrity endorser. Only role models appear on Kellogg's cereal boxes, for example. And that complicates the problems for this young man, whose journey to eight gold medals in Beijing last year captivated the world.

"Breakfast cereal — that's really speaking to kids between 6 and 12," said Marian Salzman, known as a trendspotter in the advertising industry. "He has big, important deals, in a terrible economy. This is just wacky."

But that doesn't mean Phelps, 23, doesn't deserve a break, says Salzman, chief marketing officer of the Porter Novelli public relations firm. She blames his handlers, who should have done a much better job protecting him from the foibles of youth, from newly won freedom, and from piles of money.

"He's probably a nice boy who didn't get enough guidance," said Salzman — especially after a drunken driving arrest following the 2004 Olympics. "I think he accomplished that huge dream in Beijing, and then his people just relaxed."

Of course, smoking pot, assuming that's what Phelps was inhaling from that bong, is not nearly as serious as endangering lives on the road.

Indeed, perceptions of marijuana use have changed since 1987, when federal appellate judge Douglas Ginsburg withdrew from consideration for the Supreme Court after reports surfaced about his smoking marijuana while a student and a law professor.

In 1992, candidate Bill Clinton admitted he'd tried it as a student in England, didn't like it, and, famously, didn't inhale. Fast forward to 2006, when Barack Obama said just as famously: "I inhaled frequently. That was the point."

Still, as Bain points out, "No matter what we may have done in our youth, you can't be saying to kids that it's not so bad. First, it's illegal. And also, it can lead people to make bad choices."

The Phelps affair is sure to revive the debate over whether athletes should even be considered role models. "I don't think they are," Salzman said. "We have a tendency to deify people who are great at one thing. We assume they're great at everything. When we want them to be infallible, aspirational, perfect, it never works."

Especially in 2009, when a simple visit to a party can be recorded on a cell phone camera. "The whole question of role models is a big problem in the age of 24/7 connectivity," she said.

So maybe our expectations of a 23-year-old exploring his freedom and new celebrity are too great. On the other hand, Phelps signed contracts with morals and behavior clauses, which allow sponsors to cancel deals over egregious behavior, noted Carol Weston, an author of books for young girls and the advice columnist for Girls' Life magazine.

"He knew he was being hired not just because of his accomplishments in the pool, but also for his ongoing behavior in public," Weston said. "It's part of the deal."

That said, Phelps' apology sounded genuine to her. "It wasn't the lame, 'sorry-if-anyone-got-offended' kind," she said. And in the athlete's defense, she added: "I often think, 'Wow, he spent a lot of time underwater. When did he even get to hang out with friends?'"

It remains to be seen what happens with Phelps' sponsors. Apparel company Speedo, luxury Swiss watchmaker Omega and sports beverage PureSport all say they support him. But other big sponsors, such as Visa Inc. and Kellogg Co., aren't talking yet.

His agency, Octagon, said Phelps has spoken personally with his sponsors to apologize and that the agency was encouraged by his sponsors' support.

Weston, the author, fears that if Phelps emerges unscathed, parents seeking a teachable moment are going to have a tricky situation on their hands. "If this all works out for him, parents are going to have a pretty hard time saying drugs are bad," she said.

Whatever happens, syndicated ethics columnist Randy Cohen sees a different problem. He takes no issue with possible pot smoking — only with what he sees as hypocrisy implicit in Phelps' apology.

"So the guy smokes pot," Cohen said. "For once I'd like someone to say, 'Yeah, I smoke pot, it's harmless and I enjoy it.'" Instead, he said, Phelps is lying by pretending he'll never do it again.

As for whether Phelps is a role model for kids, Cohen dismisses the notion that any athlete or celebrity, for that matter, should be seen that way.

"The people who should be shaping our kids' conduct are parents, friends, people they know in the community," Cohen said. "Michael Phelps' glory is that he's an incredibly talented swimmer. Unless your child happens to be a fish, why do you want him to be a role model?"

i am not surprised at someone engaging in their "pursuit of happiness". but,i am surprised that he can be in such an aerobic sport, and not be more concerned with  what goes in his lungs. has anyone stepped forward to say he was smoking before the olympics?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Does Michael Phelps deserve a break?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 08:55:16 AM »
He did sign a contract with a morals clause in it, so the contract can be cancelled.

The public entered into a contract with Obama, knowing full well that he had used marijuana and cocaine before, and continues to smoke cigarettes. The two situations aren't comparable. All the public asks is that he doesn't talk about bringing his "peeps" to the White House.

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 09:12:27 AM »
i am not surprised at someone engaging in their "pursuit of happiness". but,i am surprised that he can be in such an aerobic sport, and not be more concerned with  what goes in his lungs. has anyone stepped forward to say he was smoking before the olympics?

Dude, the point of smoking weed through a bong is that the smoke is filtered through water (sometimes filled with icecubes) which makes it less hard on the loungs, the healthiest way of smoking if you have to.
Or so I heard  :cool:

Phelps had an outstanding success representing his country at the olympics due to his hard training and commitment and the only people who should be allowed to critisize him are those who can swim faster than he does! 
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 09:18:52 AM »
So he smoked some reefer out of a bong, big deal.  As far as I'm aware he as not advocated that drug users be put in prison nor acted to continue the War on (some) Drugs while in a position of authority.

If he signed contracts that specify no illegal acts, then he should suffer the penalties specified by those contracts.  Beyond that, if he is not molesting children, animals or stealing other peoples property I care not one bit what he does.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 09:23:59 AM »
Have to say he's an idiot, though. He had an endless future of endorsements, and he's probably made himself untouchable and will fade into obscurity, just because he had to have some weed.

Stupid.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 09:55:04 AM »
Yup.  I don't care at all that he has the occasional toke, but he was stupid for doing it anywhere he could be filmed.  He blew it.

Chris

.Cheese.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 09:56:56 AM »
It was a dumb move.... I don't smoke pot, and never have... but at the same time I really don't care if somebody else does.

The news has nothing better to harp on IMO.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 10:12:04 AM »
The tone I got from the article was that it was an old picture: SHOULD it be able to bite him?

If the picture is from before he signed the contracts, and the contracts stipulate "continuing moral behavior"...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 10:14:48 AM »
The tone I got from the article was that it was an old picture: SHOULD it be able to bite him?

If the picture is from before he signed the contracts, and the contracts stipulate "continuing moral behavior"...

It doesn't matter, it's out there. What "should" doesn't apply. What decision makers in corporate marketing departments will do in terms of writing off liability and negative association is the reality.

Product endorsement is even more fickle than simple fame. Companies will drop you like a rock and you'll be obscure once more, no more commercials with Verizon, no more cereal boxes, that's it.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 10:16:36 AM »
Like .Cheese wrote, I never smoked dope, either, and I really don't care if someone else has, so long as they're not driving a car and they don't have access to nuke launch codes.

But note . . .the picture doesn't show what he was smoking. Maybe it was just pipe tobacco. (Yeah, sure . . . but prove otherwise in court.)

As for doing something possibly illegal when you know someone is or can take a picture . . . that's just dumb. Discretion, children, discretion.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

myrockfight

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 10:22:05 AM »
Ok. I'll bite.

"Weston, the author, fears that if Phelps emerges unscathed, parents seeking a teachable moment are going to have a tricky situation on their hands. "If this all works out for him, parents are going to have a pretty hard time saying drugs are bad," she said.

Ok. So reporters, famous for painting the world with every degree of grey shades is suddenly implying that it is black and white. Right. And just because someone is a famous, successful athlete, and they happened to smoke pot, God knows when (I haven't actually seen the photo), the argument that drugs are bad is a complete wash and makes no sense - even though Phelps is at risk of losing hundreds of thousands of dollars of contracts, he has been publically embarrassed and his crystal clear, impeccable image is now tarnished and, by some people's standards - beyond repair. He will likely lose some present income, and he will definitely lose future income and opportunities. The extent of which, we would never really know.

However, he is definitely not better off now that this information out considering his image is on the line. And I am sure he is not at home just whistling "Dixie" and laughing this off. So on what planet does that translate to, "Drugs are o.k.?"

Whatever happens, syndicated ethics columnist Randy Cohen sees a different problem. He takes no issue with possible pot smoking — only with what he sees as hypocrisy implicit in Phelps' apology.

"So the guy smokes pot," Cohen said. "For once I'd like someone to say, 'Yeah, I smoke pot, it's harmless and I enjoy it.'" Instead, he said, Phelps is lying by pretending he'll never do it again.

"As for whether Phelps is a role model for kids, Cohen dismisses the notion that any athlete or celebrity, for that matter, should be seen that way."

For all this Cohen jerk knows, Phelps was just screwing around and posed for the picture...he didn't smoke pot then, nor does he smoke pot now. I can't say that I know one way or another - personally. How many people really can? I can almost guarantee that he has gone to his sponsors and issued a statement to them saying that, while he acknowledges the photo was childish, immature, and potentially horrible for his career, he was just posing. He didn't smoke pot then and certainly doesn't smoke pot now., etc., etc., ad nauseum.

And for all we know, until he states otherwise, or someone else (who may have their own ulterior motives) steps forward as a witness of his smoking, all the aforementioned is true. Personally, I don't care what he does or doesn't do in his personal life. He isn't going to publically come out and say, "Drugs are awesome. Look how much they have done for me!" And his records and medals stand on their own as a testament to themselves, in my eyes.

My main point is - these reporters are sensationalizing this "story". They don't know the facts and are assuming that he is an avid pot smoker and making the jump that smoking marijuana is an action endorsed by him and impossible for him to publically renounce because of his success and the assumed lack of fallout over the photo's controversy.

Both ideas are jumps that are an affront to logic, which I doubt his sponsors are making for themselves considering how much money is at stake. Not only that, but I'm willing to bet his endorsement deals are going to be an all-for-one, one-for-all shot. They are all going to keep him on and accept that it was either a posed picture while he was goofing off, or it was a one-time deal, he obviously can't perform and win on an Olympic level while smoking pot. Not to mention that they have drug testing. Very, very extensive drug testing. Why wasn't that brought up by this wonderful article?

So his sponsors are probably all going to keep him signed on write him off depending on what his explanation of the situation is. I know I would be encouraging a particular story if I were them. But it wouldn't surprise me in the least if this is given a pass, explained away and contracts are kept, keepin' on. I could even see the sponsors talking with each other and deciding to collectively give him a pass in order to both insulate his character and protect their once-in-a-lifetime contract with one of the most famous athletes of all time.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 10:49:26 AM »
It's amazing that people go so completely headfirst into total belief that photographs are a representation of reality. Especially in the fauxtography age.

So what, they claim they have a piece of paper or a digital file that has what appears to be a certain person engaging in what appears to be a certain behavior? So?

But of course everyone instantly skips past the hearsay stage because 'a picture surfaced'.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 10:58:26 AM »
It's amazing that people go so completely headfirst into total belief that photographs are a representation of reality. Especially in the fauxtography age.

So what, they claim they have a piece of paper or a digital file that has what appears to be a certain person engaging in what appears to be a certain behavior? So?

But of course everyone instantly skips past the hearsay stage because 'a picture surfaced'.

Well, Phelps is quite a pushover for issuing an official apology over a "shooped photo" of him taking a toke. :lol:

But personally, a 20-something taking a bong hit in a college party environment, I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked... I'm in agreement to let the marketplace and his endorsment contracts take care of this. Then move on.

I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 11:17:32 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

MicroBalrog

• friend
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 12:26:18 PM »
big deal. its a bong hit.

"Unless your child happens to be a fish, why do you want him to be a role model?"

best line from the whole article.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 12:42:09 PM »
To steal a phrase or two:

One reaps what one sows...

Or

If you can't do the time don't do the crime...

Guy wants to smoke dope - up to him. However, as a public figure, if the public doesn't approve he's hurting himself both in reputation and financially. Up to him of course but if it were me, choosing to lay off the bong, at least until the endorsement contracts had been milked for everything they're worth, would seem the wiser course of action.

On the other hand Phelps may just be too stupid to live (he is a jock after all) - why else would he let himself be photographed hitting a bong?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 02:12:12 PM by Werewolf »
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 01:01:15 PM »
Is anybody actually going to boycott the products he endorses over this?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 01:07:11 PM »
boycott?  very few.  but as an endorsment his value just dropped   hard and fast. pot smokers have an image  to some degree they earn it.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 01:12:22 PM »
On a positive note he picked up endorsements from Clear Eyes and Doritos. =D

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 01:12:39 PM »
I had zero interest in this guy when he was going to the Olympics, I had zero interest when he won the swimming race or whatever, and I have zero interest now that he's caught smoking marijuana.

Seriously, who cares and why?
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 01:37:26 PM »
He deserves a swift kick in the ass is what he deserves.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 01:41:58 PM »
I don't think it was a good move to make economically, but personally, it doesn't make me think any less of the man.  Furthermore, I don't see why it should.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 02:09:26 PM »
He should have know better (assuming he values his public image and endorsement deals), but I don't think less of him for it at all.

If they caught him shooting up Nandrolene and carting around gurt big packs of HGH treatment, then that might be different.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2009, 02:13:24 PM »
This is not an issue for me.

I'd still hire him to endorse my products.

I'd even run ads mocking the outrage this incident has enabled. 
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.