Author Topic: Weird perp, but victims weirder?  (Read 13481 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Weird perp, but victims weirder?
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2009, 09:53:29 AM »
you ever read "the rape of the A.P.E."

I didn't know that Dr. Seuss had a Pervert Period. ;)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2009, 10:07:30 AM »
You do not speak of fight club. 

crap.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 12:02:13 PM »
However, as far as I know, it's not considered socially acceptable for girls of that age to 'put out'

Socially unacceptable girls are more fun anyway...especially when you're 16-17 and everything's still in prime condition.  :angel:

Quote from: HankB
I did foolish things in high school, but even if the Internet had been available then the way it is now, I really, really, do NOT envision taking naked pictures of myself,

Yeah, it's hard enough getting the lighting right for nudes anyway.  Add in the difficulties of doing it as a self-portrait and it's nearly impossible to get it right.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2009, 12:19:42 PM »
/sigh....

I'm joking here man. You said "Common sense. Not so common anymore." I pointed out that so-called common sense has never been common. You then replied that common sense was useful. I point out that doesn't address my concern, you edit more stuff about who common sense is useful for into that post, and I make a stimulus package joke. Geez......
Wait, so all of this fuss about horny teens and fedgov and stimulus bills is because of your nitpick about common sense not being common in the past?  Why didn't you just say so plainly?

Sorry, I guess I really was confused.  To address your real point, common sense of the type Declaration Day described and I agreed with was almost certainly more common in the past.

I just some of John and Abigail Adams' letters.  I have a hard time believing that nude pictures and coerced gay sex would ever have been a part of the courtship process as it existed back then.  Acceptable behavior was heavily codified by the strictures of morality and sensibility.  It was common sense writ large and made virtually unbreakable.

As to the original post, a question was posed about why didn't these guys fight back against the coercion.  I think it's also worth asking why they didn't avoid the whole mess in the first place.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2009, 12:23:44 PM »
I think you are idealizing the past a bit there HTG. Sorta like the people who pine for the good old days where people had morals (and every town had a whorehouse).
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2009, 12:24:48 PM »

Yeah, it's hard enough getting the lighting right for nudes anyway.  Add in the difficulties of doing it as a self-portrait and it's nearly impossible to get it right.

Some of the best art nudes are self portraits.   I don't think those are the kind of photographs we're discussing here.

;)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2009, 12:27:15 PM »
I think you are idealizing the past a bit there HTG. Sorta like the people who pine for the good old days where people had morals (and every town had a whorehouse).
Maybe.  Whorehouses may have existed back then, but it genrally wasn't above ground and accepted in polite society.  Not in the way teens taking nude self pics are becoming normal accepted today.

Don't care

deleted
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2009, 12:31:18 PM »
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 12:26:22 PM by Don't care »

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2009, 12:36:16 PM »
So...... It's ok to do it, so long as you publicly decry it? The ubiquity of prostitution in the 1800's is a historic fact. It was legal too. People may have been less honest about it, but I fail to see how hypocrisy makes it better.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2009, 12:40:09 PM »

*chuckle* reminds me of the story my mom always tells when someone says how kids are so much worse behaved these days.

its about how my grandparent and great aunts and uncles used to drag race their buggys in the middle of the night. they once got is big trouble 'cause someone had the brilliant idea of attaching  the family silver serving plater to the back of a buggy to surf on it.

the platter was never the same.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2009, 01:17:18 PM »
So...... It's ok to do it, so long as you publicly decry it? The ubiquity of prostitution in the 1800's is a historic fact. It was legal too. People may have been less honest about it, but I fail to see how hypocrisy makes it better.
Don't confuse their legality with them being socially acceptable.  And don't assume that everyone used them frequently.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2009, 01:21:25 PM »
Soooooo...... Condemning publicly what you do in private is good? I know everyone didn't use them. But if there are that many brothels, in that many places, and they were sprospering despite the social strictures..... Obviously they had a lot of customers.

I swear, how can you be so cold bloodedly logical on some topics and so emotional on others?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2009, 01:29:11 PM »
Soooooo...... Condemning publicly what you do in private is good? I know everyone didn't use them. But if there are that many brothels, in that many places, and they were sprospering despite the social strictures..... Obviously they had a lot of customers.

I swear, how can you be so cold bloodedly logical on some topics and so emotional on others?

Condemning something that you know to be a vice, even if you do have that vice IS a good thing.

Glorifying something that you know to be a vice, simply because you wish to enjoy it is a bad thing.

So yes, what you said is true.

Of course it would it be best if people abstained from the vices, but it is better that they recognize them as vices rather than encourage them as virtues.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2009, 01:42:09 PM »
I've never seen hypocrisy and paying lip service to morality described as a major virtue anywhere but this forum. My brain hurts.....

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2009, 01:47:20 PM »
I've never seen hypocrisy and paying lip service to morality described as a major virtue anywhere but this forum. My brain hurts.....

I didn't call it a major virtue. Nor did I suggest that "paying lip service" was a good thing.

I said recognizing a vice for what it is, even if you have that vice, is better than calling it a virtue because you enjoy it.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2009, 02:04:10 PM »
Hmm?  Where have I been emotional?

You're the first person to call me emotional in a long while.

:laugh:

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2009, 02:05:20 PM »
I didn't call it a major virtue. Nor did I suggest that "paying lip service" was a good thing.

I said recognizing a vice for what it is, even if you have that vice, is better than calling it a virtue because you enjoy it.
Would I get smacked around if I call that common sense?

:angel:

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2009, 02:10:02 PM »
"I know it's wrong but I do it anyway" is better than "I don't see a problem with it"? The second person can be convinced of the error of their position: what can you do about the first?

HTG: I don't like prostitution so I'll pretend it wasn't a real fact of life in the time I want to idealize. Someone I loved got hurt by drugs so they are evil and must be banned. Etc....

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2009, 02:10:31 PM »

HTG, I'll lineup for a smackdown, too.  

Because that's a truism, right there.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2009, 02:20:02 PM »
i would think being able to recognizing a vice as a vice would enable someone to control it better.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2009, 02:24:58 PM »
hah, that is awesome... what fools.  I laugh at anyone that would actually perform sex acts on the guy... who cares if he releases pics of you... I would have called his bluff, and if he would have released them I would have bashed his head in, just on principal.

Yeah, it's hard enough getting the lighting right for nudes anyway.  Add in the difficulties of doing it as a self-portrait and it's nearly impossible to get it right.

The key is you use a mirror.  Work out right beforehand too, your muscles will look bigger... then take a bunch of pics and pick out the best ones... some will look way better than others... not that I've ever done something like this before.

Not in the way teens taking nude self pics are becoming normal accepted today.

You mean so socially acceptable that it makes national news?  My grandma got married when she was 14.. guess what?  She had no sex before marriage!!!  If you expect people to wait until they are 28 to get married you've got a full 16 years of physical repression that very few can withstand.

Who gives a s' anyway, "oh nooo naked people, evil dirtiness!!!!"  We all act like children.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2009, 02:28:19 PM »
HTG: I don't like prostitution so I'll pretend it wasn't a real fact of life in the time I want to idealize. Someone I loved got hurt by drugs so they are evil and must be banned. Etc....
Okidoke.  The moment I make either of those arguments, you may call me emotional.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2009, 02:28:47 PM »
I just some of John and Abigail Adams' letters.  I have a hard time believing that nude pictures and coerced gay sex would ever have been a part of the courtship process as it existed back then.  Acceptable behavior was heavily codified by the strictures of morality and sensibility.  It was common sense writ large and made virtually unbreakable.

Yes, a system of arbitrary rules codifying your life is so wonderful and great. Except, of course, plenty of completely non-sensible things were acceptable at that time which are not as great as naked pictures.

[Nota bene: My courtship of 2swap involved an exchange of naked pics. We turned out all right]
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2009, 02:33:40 PM »
someone said "lip service"
 :lol:

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2009, 02:34:32 PM »

i find this really funny. you got your time periods off. that strick code of morality didn't really come into play until victoria. in fact the folks of pre-victorian times were pretty bawdy.

and i would point out that letters between two folks in LOVE is a bit diffrent then the letters between two folks in LUST.