Author Topic: game saws  (Read 2223 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
game saws
« on: February 14, 2009, 08:57:36 PM »
What do you guys use for game saws, IE splitting the sternum and pelvis on a deer or elk?

I've got an old Knapp saw my dad gave me years ago that does an ok job.  However last year I gutted or participated in gutting 15 deer over 2 weeks and that thing is a bit rough on the hands.

Whatever I get needs to be the same size, smaller, or collapsible since it rides in my pack.

What I have is the exact saw in this E-Bay auction I shamelessly stole the picture from.

Edit..  if you are wondering what I am doing posting here instead of V-Day the GF is working tonight, V-Day is tomorrow for me.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 09:04:27 PM by 41magsnub »

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: game saws
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 09:13:43 PM »
18 volt sawzall
metal cutting blade
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 09:17:25 PM »
18 volt sawzall
metal cutting blade

5 miles from the truck up a coulie?  :)

damned spell check...  :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 11:06:21 PM by 41magsnub »

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 09:24:12 PM »
I have always used a Puma White Hunter for white tails. It has a thick enough blade that if you find the right spot in the center of the pelvis, put the tip in, twist it with one hand and smack the pommel with the other, the pelvis splits clean. For elk I'd probably use my Gerber bone saw. The Puma works great as a skinning knife and makes a half decent machete too. Of course, it's not really what you would call light.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 09:26:02 PM »
Another vote for sawzall. Hunting on your own land with good vehicle access is a great blessing. It also makes for happy dogs.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 10:28:04 PM »
I use these survival saws that I got either at a shop or a gun show for a buck each.   Weighs almost nothing.

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/16survivalsaw.html  (Do not pay $8.95 for these, you can probably find them at wally world for a buck or two.)

I've got four inch steel rods with a hole in the middle on the hoops to help push it through the pelvic canal.

Takes about 3-4 minutes to cut through a deer pelvis.   Don't pull too hard or it'll break.   
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 11:07:51 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 10:40:26 PM »
5 miles from the truck up a coolie?  :)

Thanks for the laugh, snub. I've been sitting here for five minutes considering and discarding jokes and just can't bring myself to make any.

For the record, "coolie" is an archaic term for a Chinese laborer, a "coulee" is a (usually) dry streambed in a steep-sided ravine.

Or did you actually mean that as its typed? I know it gets awfully lonely on a hunt sometimes...

OK, I said no jokes.

;D
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 11:04:50 PM »
Thanks for the laugh, snub. I've been sitting here for five minutes considering and discarding jokes and just can't bring myself to make any.

For the record, "coolie" is an archaic term for a Chinese laborer, a "coulee" is a (usually) dry streambed in a steep-sided ravine.

Or did you actually mean that as its typed? I know it gets awfully lonely on a hunt sometimes...

OK, I said no jokes.

;D

What's really funny is I know how it is spelled and goofed it, then the firefox spell check helped me out!  Bad typo....  bad bad bad typo.

I have images of something freaky with a sawzall now and it disturbs me greatly.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 11:13:37 PM by 41magsnub »

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 11:11:35 PM »
I use these survival saws that I got either at a shop or a gun show for a buck each.   Weighs almost nothing.

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/16survivalsaw.html  (Do not pay $8.95 for these, you can probably find them a wally world for a buck or two.)

I've got four inch steel rods with a hole in the middle on the hoops to help push it through the pelvic canal.

Takes about 3-4 minutes to cut through a deer pelvis.   Don't pull to hard or it'll break.   

That's a thought, I have a couple of those in my survival kit in my pack already for cutting firewood and shelter materials.

I was just looking at this deal from Cabelas as well, seems interesting, has all but perfect reviews, and is pretty ergonomic.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0033143516957a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCHFEAT_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=saw&Ntk=Products&sort=all&Go.y=0&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 11:16:24 PM »
I always used a very sharp hatchet and a mallet.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 08:41:39 AM »
I also have had good results with the E-Z Saw from Gerber.  Got it in a set with a E-Z Zip gut hook and Gator clip point knife at Gander Mtn. a few years ago for $25.

The Gerber Store has a similar set here: http://www.gerberstore.com/index.php?xpage=itempage&xid=468 but has the EAB saw

Sucks that it's up to $90 now.

"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 08:44:25 AM »
I use my military issue survival knife that I've had for years.  Cuts right through the breast bone and takes a few taps with a hand to break the pelvic bone.  This thing holds an awesome edge too.  I don't think I"ve ever used a saw out in the field for field dressing deer and elk.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 09:00:05 AM »
Only experience is splitting the pelvic bone and sternum on pigs. Not sure if it applies to deer/elk, but on piggies, a knife is all that's needed. Of course, we do have a circular saw for the sternum, but a knife will open it up in a pinch (though you have to go through the cartilage on the sides, the center of the sternum is solid bone).
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 09:03:37 AM »
we use the dogs to drive the deer closer to where we shoot/park. 5 guys with help once dressed out 60 deer on a meat drive in wva.i had my band saw running off a generator.

i used to have a "blade trader" by kershaw had one handle multiple blades. one blade was a a saw
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I