Author Topic: 'Fireball' not satellite debris, FAA says  (Read 1497 times)

Sylvan-Forge

'Fireball' not satellite debris, FAA says
« on: February 16, 2009, 12:25:32 AM »
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/People_report_seeing_falling_debris_in_Texas_.html

By Colin McDonald - Express-News

The bright yellow streak seen over the Austin area Sunday morning was not caused by debris from the satellite collision that occurred last week, according to the Domestic Events Network of the Federal Aviation Administration.

On Saturday, the FAA issued a notice for pilots to be on the lookout for falling space debris until further notice. On Sunday night, that notice was being re-written to attribute the concern for objects falling from the sky to a "natural source."

Both the United States Strategic Command and North American Aerospace Defense Command said that the fireball seen across Central and South Texas at 11 a.m. on Sunday had nothing to do with the the remains of the satellites that collided on Tuesday.

STRATCOM has been following the debris field from the satellites since it was created and said it was nowhere near Texas. NORAD said it was not tracking any debris over North America at that time.

According to witnesses the streak appeared at 11 a.m. for a few seconds, was followed by either an explosion or a rumbling sound like the passing of a jet. and left a trail of smoke.

No object has been found on the ground.

In Austin, marathon participants reported seeing a bright yellow streak in the sky Sunday morning around 11, followed by a loud rumble and trail of smoke.

"The only reason I noticed it was I was looking way down the road," said Matt Stiles, a reporter with the Houston Chronicle who was in Austin to cheer for a friend running in the race. "I saw it and kind of had to do a double take, and then it was gone."

At the same time the FAA received reports from residents and police agencies across Central and South Texas of a similar meteorite-like flash or "a fireball" accompanied by a loud noise.

"All a fireball is, is a really bright meteor burning up in the atmosphere," said Joe Wheelock, a spokesman for the McDonald Observatory. "I don't think there is really a chance of any big piece doing any damage."

Earlier, FAA spokesman Roland Herwig said officials suspected the debris could be related to the collision that occurred Tuesday between an abandoned Russian satellite and a working satellite owned by U.S. Based Iridium Satellite LLC.

Funny, I was watching my local NBC 2 news sunday night, and they show some "debri" on the ground from an aerial view; one torquiose colored dish shaped piece perfectly shaped and clean looking and a long rod/cylinder of metallic hue, also very clean looking. Of course no words were given as to whether or not they were supposed to be the "debri" or something that was struck by said debri.

Anyone else see this aerial shot and was any description given?

« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 12:28:57 AM by Sylvan-Forge »

Sylvan-Forge

Update
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 01:28:19 AM »
Called the local newsroom to get info on the aerial video shown of debri.

Fellow I spoke with is on the satellite debri angle and video was of the debri itself .. heh.
Says video was sourced from an NBC affiliate in Navaro County Texas.
I gave him the mysanantonio link.

I'm looking but not finding the nbc station that services Navarro,...
If anyone knows the call letters or website, please let me know, thanks.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: 'Fireball' not satellite debris, FAA says
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 02:21:44 AM »
The debris was clean, turquoise blue, and intact?  That doesn't sound consistent with the whole "flaming fireball falling from the sky" part.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 07:50:45 AM »
The Frackin CosmosEx delivery driver left my package in Texas, again?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Update
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 10:04:13 AM »
Called the local newsroom to get info on the aerial video shown of debri.

Fellow I spoke with is on the satellite debri angle and video was of the debri itself .. heh.
Says video was sourced from an NBC affiliate in Navaro County Texas.
I gave him the mysanantonio link.

I'm looking but not finding the nbc station that services Navarro,...
If anyone knows the call letters or website, please let me know, thanks.

Navarro County covers the city of Coriscana, and they don't have any TV stations there. Try the NBC affiliates in Waco, Dallas, Tyler, Bryan/College Station, or even Houston or Austin for info.

I imagine that a satellite that wasn't supposed to fall from the sky fell from the sky...and someone's trying to cover up a major snafu. Truth will get out eventually.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 05:52:36 PM »
Just W coming home.