Author Topic: Another (gasp) firearm question...  (Read 1742 times)

Regolith

• friend
Another (gasp) firearm question...
« on: February 16, 2009, 04:54:21 AM »
A couple of years ago I got myself a Remington 700 SPS in .30-06.  I haven't gotten around to purchasing any accessories beyond a scope and sling for it yet (and it is perfectly functional as is), but eventually I'd like to replace the stock and maybe the trigger as well (it's a tad heavy, tho I'm going to try and have the trigger adjusted before I decide if I need to replace it).

Now, I've noticed that almost all stocks and many of the triggers are sold based on what platform they fit best, usually stating either ADL or BDL.  I don't think I've ever seen one that stated it fit the CDL or the SPS or any of the other three-letter acronyms Remington uses to distinguish between their different 700's, so I gotta figure that one or the other will fit the SPS.

So, which accessories will fit the SPS?  The ones made for the ADL, or the ones made for the BDL?

Edit: Edited to clarify my question.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 07:08:43 AM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

coppertales

• friend
Re: Another (gasp) firearm question...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 10:37:11 AM »
Check with Brownell's or the trigger mfg companies.  I am sure they can clear up your question....chris3

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 02:51:01 PM »
for wood work, Boyds knows all the arcanea of the various manufacturers
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=700+remington&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_SPS.asp
"Built to carry on the tradition of the Model 700 ADLâ„¢ Synthetic, the Model 700 SPS is leading the way for the next generation of hard-hitting, fully featured, affordable priced rifles"

7 3/8ths pounds with the factory synthetic stock

http://www.snipercentral.com/remspsv.htm
The standard Remington 700 SPS rifle was designed and introduced as the 700 ADL replacement a few years ago. The ADL was the low end of the 700 lineup and the SPS now fills that role. The one very nice advantage that the SPS has over the ADL is the same hinged floorplate that is found on the BDL line of rifles. Beyond a new stock, the rest of the SPS is very ADL like. The SPS Varmint was introduced to fill that same low end niche, but for a varmint rifle, or even a tactical rifle as we are using it here.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 02:06:14 AM »
Quote from: Harold Tuttle
The standard Remington 700 SPS rifle was designed and introduced as the 700 ADL replacement a few years ago. The ADL was the low end of the 700 lineup and the SPS now fills that role. The one very nice advantage that the SPS has over the ADL is the same hinged floorplate that is found on the BDL line of rifles. Beyond a new stock, the rest of the SPS is very ADL like. The SPS Varmint was introduced to fill that same low end niche, but for a varmint rifle, or even a tactical rifle as we are using it here.

So...since it has the hinged floor plate, I guess that means I should be getting a BDL stock, since an ADL stock would need to be modified??

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 07:29:23 AM »
Thats what I figure, which makers stock are you thinking about upgrading to?

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 10:27:57 PM »
Thats what I figure, which makers stock are you thinking about upgrading to?

Bell & Carson's Medalist stock looked pretty decent for the price, so I was pretty much thinking about getting that.

I might go with a Boyd's JRS if I'm on a budget, though. 

I'm not going to be able to afford it for several months yet, and I don't know how much I can afford to spend until then, so it might be a while until I get around to buying it. 

This question has just been bugging me since I got the rifle.  :laugh: 

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 10:32:53 PM »
http://www.jallenenterprises.com/jae700rsa.htm

I'd suggest a JAE if it wasn't a .30-06 long action.  =D If Robocop had a bolt gun...

What? What do you mean you don't want to spend more than the rifle on the stock?  :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 01:13:45 AM »
http://www.jallenenterprises.com/jae700rsa.htm
What? What do you mean you don't want to spend more than the rifle on the stock?  :laugh:

That's an understatement....that thing costs $120 more than my rifle did, sans scope.   :O