Author Topic: Good luck finding ammo  (Read 4521 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Good luck finding ammo
« on: February 17, 2009, 12:42:39 PM »
Jeeeminy Christmas, I just looked on Cheaper Than Dirt and they show at least 95% of their 9mm and 45acp offerings as Sold Out.

Crapola.  I have a few boxes of each left, but this is getting serious!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Good luck finding ammo
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 12:53:30 PM »
Be patient, there'll be a glut.  I've already heard ATK might be laying off or furlouging people at their Federal Ammo division due to oversupply.

It's the last few years's ammo run-up from world metal prices, huge AWOT orders, both for the DoD and arming the new Iraqi govt. some other ginormous Middle Eastern orders tying up the Russian suppliers which impacts American supplies of cheap range fodder, and now Obama have been the "perfect storm" when it comes to ammo.

It'll take a few months for the supply chain and major distributors to filter through, and then everyone trying to hang on to the inflated prices as long as possible before competition creeps in.

Inflation from the "stimulus package", and the Fed printing money 24/7 to pay for it won't let the price fall back much, but the supply will go back up.
I promise not to duck.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 01:17:23 PM »
Jeeeminy Christmas, I just looked on Cheaper Than Dirt and they show at least 95% of their 9mm and 45acp offerings as Sold Out.

Crapola.  I have a few boxes of each left, but this is getting serious!

Brad

Cheaper than dirt is not. Their prices are now stupid, and their shipping is insane. Most of their catalog is Bud K for the tapco crowd, now, plus scam "miracle ammo" for mallninjas. I just throw away the catalog.

Also, I just bought more boxes of Blazer Brass 9mm at the local walmart for $8.97 each. It's around, just takes a while to get in stock!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 01:18:11 PM »
ammoman.com is also sold out of .45
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 01:31:05 PM »
Midway USA is almost 100% out of .223 ammo. Yea this sucks hopfully ammo will go down soon as people run out of money to stockpile 400 AR Mags, and cant shoot through their 100,000 round cache quick enough.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 01:36:26 PM »
Georgia Arms was at the Dulles Show over the weekend and had lots of .223.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 01:39:41 PM »
apparently there is a guy around here that buys out the gunstores entire supplie of 9mm every time kenny gets a new shipment.

i'd be ticked off, except 9mm isn't something we're stocking up on.

yeah, ammo is getting a little silly. back when i went to richmond, i stoped in a gunstore and the 357 sig winchester ranger was actually cheaper then the WWB.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 03:56:09 PM »
I just bought a new Taurus Ultralight 38 just so I could use the approx 22,000 (yes it says thousand) rds of ammo that my wifes grandfather reloaded before he died...he didnt get around well, but he could sit at the reloading bench and watch TV or listen to the radio

The only ones in the family that have .38s now are my wife and I.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 04:37:55 PM »
I suppose it would be redundant to say "Dillon Precision", wouldn't it?   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 04:59:06 PM »

It would be for me as the all of the reloading gear he used is in my garage.  Along with the RCBS stuff my dad gave me.  Its all in boxes until I get the bench built.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 05:14:05 PM »
I suppose it would be redundant to say "Dillon Precision", wouldn't it?   =D

I was resisting that urge myself (well, to reload at least).

That said, even reloading components are getting sketchy unless you're very well stocked.  Most places are sold out or getting low.  More than one brick and mortar source was out of all but the premium rifle bullets and oddball handgun selections.  I have a pretty good stock on hand (or lots of a given caliber already loaded), so I'm in decent shape, but if you're just getting started, it's not much better than finding factory ammo.

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 05:17:58 PM »
Wideners was selling 500 round cases of Federal XM193 last I looked.  The dealer below was selling PMC 223.  Both were in the $400 per 1000 range. 

http://palmettostatearmory.com/176.php

I need to buy some more bullets and powder.  We have brass.  As long as people are lazy in picking up their brass at the range, I'll have plenty of that.  Most people pick up or clean up rifle brass, but for pistols I often end up picking up plenty. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 05:31:17 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 06:08:41 PM »
I'm well set for loading components for most things right now, but I am running kind of shy on .45 ACP bullets. I'm going to have to do something about that in the coming weeks given that I have a new .45 to test out.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 06:10:20 PM »
I keep reading this on websites, but the stores I go to are well stocked.  I bought 500 rounds of 5.56 the other day and the clerk prompted me twice to grab a case (off their pile of cases). $349/1000 and it was Federal...not Russian.  9mm, .40 and .45 were in stock and on sale as well. I picked up a few of those was well.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 06:20:06 PM »
Quote from: MechAg94
Insert Quote
Wideners was selling 500 round cases of Federal XM193 last I looked.  The dealer below was selling PMC 223.  Both were in the $400 per 1000 range. 

http://palmettostatearmory.com/176.php

But when you click on their "Reloading Components" link, you get
Reloading Components

We are currently out of all reloading components. Check back soon for more details.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 06:31:31 PM »
If it's the "federal in lake city brass" stuff, I was not impressed. Two stores had it, and I poked in boxes. The brass looks like someone has been chewing it, there were visible dings and nicks.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 06:32:33 PM »
Okay, I just checked those two websites and both seem to show out of stock.  :)  Sorry.  

I bought a case of the Federal a few weeks ago and they still showed in stock.

Last Sunday, I went by Carter's Country in Houston and they had a small pile of PMC 223 cases for $540 each.  They much of bought them from the same people.  I also stopped by an Academy.  A few weeks back, they had plenty of pistol ammo, but they were pretty well cleaned out last weekend.  

I haven't found many reasonably priced ammo dealers in the Houston area outside of gun show guys.  Even those are not real inexpensive right now.  The bulk guys at the last couple gun shows I went to were higher than Academy and WalMart.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 06:34:08 PM »
I have gone through a 500 round box of the Federal before and it worked pretty well.  No problems reloading it so far.  I am not short of ammo though.  This was just an insurance purchase.  :)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 07:18:54 PM »
Mike,

I've been getting my cast 200gr SWC .45 ACP bullets from my buddy Calvin at Spacecoast Bullets in Melbourne, FL.

$37.50/500, or $73.00/1000

http://www.spacecoastbullets.com/products.htm

There may be cheaper out there, but I've known Calvin since he worked for the previous owner of his business, when it was called John's Precision Cast Bullets.

Quite the operation, and those Policlips casting machines are very impressive.

I also buy my 240gr Keith bullets for .44 Special from him, as well as 405gr bullets for .45-70. 

I'm going to be putting an order in soon for some of his 165gr .309" diameter bullets for my .30-30s, too.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Lee

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 08:03:55 PM »
I haven't noticed anything unusual with the Federal.   Is the Lake City stuff in the black box? 
I've only opened (and fired) about 10 boxes of it so far.  It went bang and punched holes in the target.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 08:09:22 PM »
The only pistol ammunition our local Walmart has in stock is .45GAP.

I need to get some more .223...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 08:16:29 PM »

Powder Valley is out of almost all primers except 209s.  They do seem to have some small pistol magnum, but that's about it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 11:08:07 PM »
but I am running kind of shy on .45 ACP bullets.

That reminded me that I only have about 1.5 500 round boxes of those left. Just went to the Oregon Trail website where I buy my Lasercast bullets, and hokey smokes -- they have plenty but prices are up a bit since I last restocked. $66 per 500 shipped. I buy a boatload every time I restock and haven't gotten any in a couple of years, so that might actually be a good price right now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 11:28:56 PM »
hold the phone....

did someone say .45 ACP bullets?

we've got a box of lead round nose around here and no reloading equitment. you want them send me a PM.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 11:30:52 PM »
I haven't noticed anything unusual with the Federal.   Is the Lake City stuff in the black box? 
I've only opened (and fired) about 10 boxes of it so far.  It went bang and punched holes in the target.

Brown box. I think what you have is different.