Author Topic: Bought a dog, help name him...  (Read 5304 times)

drewtam

• friend
Bought a dog, help name him...
« on: February 17, 2009, 09:54:57 PM »
I am the new owner of an energetic male boxer puppy  - 17weeks old. But me and the wife can't decide on a name. Who ever comes up with the name we pick wins the brownie* points.

Pictures to follow later.

*Real brownies not included.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Bought a dog, help name him...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 10:19:18 PM »
i don't have any specific names in mind.

but i will say that a good name is not boring. its a little diffrent and meaningful and the dog has to fit the name.

currently in our house:
graham - the name he came with when we adopted him. he knew it and it fits him.
pearl - named after earl in the comic strip 'mutts'. also, good for a pretty, if flighty, setter mix.
southwest - named after my dad's old dog, northwest, which came from one of dads favorite books.
captain wow - cat, named after another book. the caracter was a cat.
pharoh - black cat that looks like statues of cats from eygpt.
shaft - probably the most predictiable name. he's a BIG black cat.

i have a thing about names like midnight, sam, bob, or henrey. predictable and boring. plus, at my job we get so many dogs with the same names that sometimes it can get a little confusing (3 black labs named DUKE is a bit much at one time)
plus, it seems like nobody put any thought into it.

names i have liked:
oreo - pit/dalmation mix. her coloring looks like those milkshakes with oreo cookies mixed in.
athena - a very elegantly strutured anatolian with attitude.
banjo - another anatolian
slobber - a saint benarnd who actually doesn't slobber that bad.
stump - westminster winner this year. good name.

basically anything that shows you put time into getting to know your dog and settled a name on him with care. sometimes the funny ones are the best.
the only exception to the rule are dogs that really are just a Buster (i had a buster) and dogs that need easy names (like dot and pepper, a brittany and a German Short Haired Pointer, both of whom are feild dogs)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 10:20:13 PM »
Schwerk.

Zardoz.

Scapegoat

Chris

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 10:23:59 PM »
'Tard.

Clownfish.

Furry.

Tentacle Rape.

MTP.

Late for Dinner.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 10:25:31 PM »
Schwerk.

Zardoz.

Scapegoat

Chris

do not name that poor dog scapegoat.

nothing should be saddled with such a title (well, other then THE SCAPEGOAT)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 10:58:44 PM »
I like lighthearted & rogue-ish names.

My buddy at work owns a yellow lab named Roscoe, which is just about perfect for him.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

iiibdsiil

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 11:36:20 PM »
Well, since he is a boxer and all... Tyson? Hopefully he isn't a biter!

My dog is named Poppa. We adopted him with that name though. I tried changing it to "Big Sexy" but the girlfriend wasn't having it.  :laugh:

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 11:44:20 PM »
A friend of mine has a boxer that his wife named Bigglesworth (she grew up in Singapore), he and I both agree that the dog should be called Spazmo.   :lol:

In keeping with the spirit of the thread:

Hasselhoff

Fractal

Fistful

AC (Assualt Crotch)

Floppy (as in Burn the) or Burn
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 01:44:11 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 11:45:52 PM »
Taz?
Hi.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 11:53:03 PM »
Call him grampster; gramps for short.  End of story.  Over and out.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 12:13:08 AM »
Well, since he is a boxer and all... Tyson? Hopefully he isn't a biter!

I had a similar thought, but I thought "Dempsey" seemed classier.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 12:18:58 AM »
One of my shooting buddies is boxer guy, he names his boxers after autoparts. His current boxer is named Fly which is short for flywheel. His last boxer was Sparkplug.

A friend in college had a boxer named Capone.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 12:40:19 AM »
In keeping with the theme suggested I think Marvin, for Marvelous Marvin Hagler, would do nicely.

Or you could pick a name from one of your or your wife's favorite books or films. It's worked for me several times. The latest is a mostly-Beagle puppy we got a couple of weeks ago. I named him Billy Fish, after a character in a Rudyard Kipling short story that was made into one of my favorite films, The Man Who Would Be King.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 01:50:34 AM »
In keeping with the theme suggested I think Marvin, for Marvelous Marvin Hagler, would do nicely.

Or you could pick a name from one of your or your wife's favorite books or films. It's worked for me several times. The latest is a mostly-Beagle puppy we got a couple of weeks ago. I named him Billy Fish, after a character in a Rudyard Kipling short story that was made into one of my favorite films, The Man Who Would Be King.

Michael Caine and Sean Connery (sans Red Diaper) with Christopher Plummer as Kipling.....I'll have to go to the library and check it out again, it's been a while.   I've been introducing the eight year-old to good literature.  There's a nice Beowulf book series out that follows the original tale but is geared toward ~10 year olds.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 08:55:07 AM »

Michael Caine and Sean Connery (sans Red Diaper) with Christopher Plummer as Kipling.....I'll have to go to the library and check it out again, it's been a while.   I've been introducing the eight year-old to good literature.  There's a nice Beowulf book series out that follows the original tale but is geared toward ~10 year olds.

And Saeed Jaffrey as Billy Fish. I had a cat about ten years ago that I named Peachey, after Caine's character.

I hope your little one enjoys the tale as much as I always have.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 09:47:32 AM »
Never done it myself, but it's always been funny when people gave their dog a "regular" name...

There was a free-run kennel Mrs. Dual and I used to use. For crowd-control, the place had dutch-doors everywhere. One very high energy dog there was a Jack Russel Terrier. Whenever new dogs or people picking up came in, he'd run up to the top-open dutch door, and just leap straight up like a spring, five feet into the air for a peek at who was coming, over and over and over...

Then one of the caretakers scolded him, "Kevin! Stop that! Go play!"  :lol:

So maybe "Robert", "John", "Bill"....  =D
I promise not to duck.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 10:09:51 AM »
OK, so I was drinking a bit of Pyrat last night..........

How about Rocky?  (Rocky Marciano)
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Iain

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 11:29:29 AM »
You have to assume that whatever you call him you're probably going to abbreviate it, so that has to work.

We decided by committee with votes and everything when the spaniel turned up 11 years ago. Eventually Theo was decided upon. I wanted to call him Byron (a phase), younger brother wanted to call him Granville (Open All Hours).

Theo gets abbreviated to The (Theo without the o). He also gets called, and responds to - spaniel, span, big ears, poopy, stinker, hound, horrible hound, puppy, puppyface, old boy and many many more.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 11:39:03 AM »
Theo gets abbreviated to The (Theo without the o). He also gets called, and responds to - spaniel, span, big ears, poopy, stinker, hound, horrible hound, puppy, puppyface, old boy and many many more.

=D

My little beast is Achilles.  He responds to Achilles, killer (abbreviation of Achilles), killerpuppy, stupid, stinky, dummy, handsome and dashingboy.  Amazing how they pick up on the extra names.

ETA:  May I suggest Bowser for your new beast?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 12:04:33 PM »
one of the more notorious nicknames in our house was sh*thead for southwest.

i was out of town and called dad, and i asked how was southwest (he was only a couple mounths old at the time) and dad responded with he's being a little sh*thead. after that the name just stuck.

sad part is he answers to it.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 01:15:15 PM »
Dammit.

Wodad. (short for Weapons Of Death And Destruction.)

Foreign leaders are good . . . my Dad was just a kid and named his dog Hitler when the guy first became Reichschancellor . . . later, when WWII broke out and he was questioned about it, the answer was "Isn't that a good name for a dog?"

That opens up the possibilities of

Kim

Tojo

Saddam

Muammar

Mohammed

Allah

Barack

Some roll off the tongue more euphoniously than others . . .

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 01:50:16 PM »
I had a cat who was white with black cow spots.  He was named "Gateway".

For me, naming of animals is usually academic, because they end up with nicknames, almost without fail.  Our current 8 cats:
Pyewacket: She's always Pye or Pitpit.
Baby (Not my fault; BrokenKid named him when she was 6): Either Jimmy Dean (because his legs are like little sausages) or Mr Fuf-fuf (because as a Himalayan, he looks like a cross between a cat and cotton candy)
Fizgig: Either Fiz or Fizzy-girl or Fat-girl.
Fidget:  Either Fidgety or Fiddlesticks.
Steve:  Well, we call him Steve, but it's pronounced "Steeeeeeve".  Sometimes we call him "For the love of God, cat, shut up".
Mrs. Brisbee: Baby girl or Busybee or Biscuit.
Nicodemus: Nico or Sneaks or Sneaker.
Kyree:  Mongo or Monster.  He's ridiculously huge, and not a bit overweight.  Maine Coon blood will do that.

Boxers, boxers... a boxer should be named...Butler.  Yes.  Butler.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 04:07:21 PM »
Name him Sex.....  =D

Everybody I know usually calls their dog Rover or Spot. I called mine Sex. Now Sex has been very embarrassing to me.

When I went to City Hall to renew the dog's license, I told the clerk I'd like a license for Sex. He said, "I would like to have one too!"

Then I said, "She is a dog!!"

He said he didnt care what she looked like. I said, "You don't understand, I had Sex since I was 9 years old."

He replied, "You must have been quite a strong boy."

When I decided to get married, I told the minister that I would like to have Sex at the weddimg. He told me to wait until after the wedding was over. I said, "But Sex has played a big part in my life, and my life revolves around Sex."

He said he didn't want to hear about my personal life and would not marry us in his church. I told him everybody would like having Sex at the wedding. The next day we were married at the Justice of Peace. My family was barred from the church from then on.

When my wife and I went on our honeymoon, I took the dog with me. When we checked into the motel, I told the clerk that I wanted a room for me and my wife and a special room for Sex. He said every room in the motel is a place for sex. I said, "You don't understand! Sex keeps me awake at night."

The clerk said, "me too!"

One day I entered Sex in a contest, but before the competition began, Sex ran away. Another contestant asked me why I was just looking around, and I told him that I was going to have Sex in the contest. He said that I should have sold my own tickets.

"You don't understand," I said. "I hoped to have Sex on TV!"

He called me a 'show off'!

When my wife and I split, we went to court to fight for custody of the dog. I said, "Your Honor, I had Sex before I was married, but Sex left me after I was married."

The judge said, "Me too!!"

Last night, Sex ran off again, and I spent hours looking all over for her. A cop came over and asked me what I was doing in the alley at 4 o'clock in the morning. I said "I'm looking for Sex."

My case comes up next Thursday.

Well, now I have been thrown in jail, been divorced, and had more damn troubles with that dog than I ever foresaw. Why, just the other day when I went for my first session with my shrink, she asked me, "What seems to be the trouble?"

I replied, "Sex has been my best friend all of my life, but now it has left me forever, I couldn't live any longer, so lonely!"

And the doctor said, "Look mister, you should understand sex isn't a man's best friend, so get your self a dog."

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 04:11:48 PM »
Name him Sex.....  =D

my boss has a dog named horney dog.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 04:41:49 PM »
Chilli Dog?