Author Topic: Hats  (Read 37862 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Hats
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2009, 03:46:34 PM »
Maned, for shame... you skimmed my post, pay attention to the second part.  :laugh:

Yes, but that one doesn't have the "je ne sais quois" of the updated legionnaire cap. :lol:

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2009, 03:59:01 PM »
Yes, but that one doesn't have the "je ne sais quois" of the updated legionnaire cap. :lol:

If it's between that and looking like the geek from Mythbusters... I'll take "Adam Savage" for $300 Alex..

+ =
I promise not to duck.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2009, 04:20:37 PM »

Don't be a fashion-trend follower, be a leader!  =D

Contribution to the thread: I wear my fedora (an Indy-style fur-felt one from Australia) most places I go, in work clothes or casual - haven't tried with a suit, as I only have a grey suit and the hat's brown.  I've had plenty of compliments on it, and I think a grand total of one negative comment, which got blown off, as it deserved.

I wear it because I like it, which is reason enough.

Well said.

I, too, wear hats because I like them. If other people think I look odd wearing one, well, I got out of junior high a long time ago and none of them are paying my bills.

Most comments are positive. Negative comments get the short shrift they deserve. Well, except for one *sshole at an outdoor concert a few years ago who said I looked funny in the hat I was wearing (a straw pith helmet). His buddies laughed, then when I said maybe I did but he looked funnier just standing there they laughed harder.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2009, 04:51:21 PM »
i have a huge hat collection and collect effective headgear of the local tribes

I have a really sweet wool Nepalese pillbox with ear flaps

and I have worn a mudcoth kufi in DC in summer

A interesting effect is once you put the hat on, it is no longer in your view

sometimes, i will be walking about a craft show and notice lots of folkes are smiling at me

WFT?

oh yeah, I'm wearing my felt jug head hat...
 =D

a buddy's wife just knit him Jayne's "cunning hat"

being we live in a college town, he got a bunch of complements

one of my favorite hats is this godawful ugly mad bomber earflapped winterhat
When i bought it, I told the clerk that it was the ugliest hat that i had ever seen and I needed it asap
The poor dood had not had much training in dealing with an esthetically repulsed, happy customer

Jayne: (wearing ugly homemade hat) "How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don'tchya think?"

Kaylee: "I think it's the sweetest hat ever."

Book: "Makes a statement."

Jayne: "Yeah, yeah!"

Wash: "A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."

Jayne: "Damn straight."
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2009, 04:53:16 PM »

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2009, 04:53:52 PM »
Earflap hats are now called "Fargo hats" by a lot of people.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2009, 05:00:20 PM »
Earflap hats are now called "Fargo hats" by a lot of people.

Same type of people who call a knit watch cap a "beanie".
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2009, 05:01:36 PM »
Whenever I hear "fedora":

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2009, 07:24:56 PM »
Thinking about wearing a zoot suit to my interview this Friday.

Riot!
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2009, 11:17:40 PM »
Mrs. Dual completely nixed anything remotely fedora-like. "You'll look like that guy from Mythbusters!;/

Back to square one.
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2009, 12:32:12 AM »
Mrs. Dual completely nixed anything remotely fedora-like. "You'll look like that guy from Mythbusters!;/

Back to square one.

Wha?...how?....?s that a bad thing?

Dude has serious geek cred attained only by actual rocket scientists working on rockets and guys who make nuclear warheads.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2009, 01:04:30 AM »
Having myself worked with some of the old timers from the Manhattan Project, I would never equate Adam Savage in the same league.

Oppenheimer's fedora notwithstanding...

zahc

• friend
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2009, 01:24:59 AM »
Good thread. I like hats myself. I used to wear baseball caps constantly in my teens, often even backward, which went well with the skateboard. But now being ancient I can't see myself in a baseball cap, which leaves me effectively hatless. Being a slob graduate student, my uniform is jeans and tshirt.

In the Texas summer heat I will don a 'fishin hat' which goes with the jeans/shorts and tennis shoes. I can't quite bring myself to wear this to work, though, again leaving me hatless.

Cowboy hat would be another option, but I'd have to dress different.

I would like a fedora for performance reasons but I would have to dress civilized in order to pull it off. Since getting married (thus aquiring free ironing capabilities) I have been considering transitioning from tshirts to button-ups, shortsleeves or long, so that I can carry pens and other geekery in the breast pocket. I dunno if that would enable fedorage or not.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2009, 01:55:58 AM »
Cutting the grass in our huge back yard during the summer, I've been known to protect my balding pate' with one of my issued desert boonie caps.  It's one thing if my ancient Bolens tractor overheats, but quite another if I do.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2009, 03:41:16 AM »
I don't know if the Fedora is out of style.

Absolutely not.  My personal favorite right now is the Henschel Leather Safari from http://www.villagehatshop.com

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2009, 07:23:12 AM »
Hats are great, and I have a full, thick, lush, head of hair (though cut very short).  I have a felt fedora that I found a year or so ago that I like, a rabbit fur and hunters orange for the winter and hunting, a watch cap with built in tuckable balaclava thingy, which is great, plus is't black (black knit cap ftw).

My only problem is that my head sweats a lot... and I mean, a LOT.  Baseball caps get soaked through.  So I rock a headband/hat combo sometimes.
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2009, 09:02:20 AM »
Wha?...how?....?s that a bad thing?

Dude has serious geek cred attained only by actual rocket scientists working on rockets and guys who make nuclear warheads.

I know. 

Perhaps it's subliminal fear/resentment that he also has Kari Byron for an assistant... I might just go to the local REI and see if they have that hat in the store or not. Like many things objectionable to wives, sometimes you just have to get past the initial  :rolleyes:-phase until it becomes an established accepted fact and part of the background...
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2009, 10:20:20 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2009, 08:40:03 PM »
Fez!

If he can do it, YOU can rock the Fez too!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2009, 10:04:19 PM »
The fez has to be one of the most useless hats ever.

It doesn't keep the sun out of your eyes or help keep rainwater off anything but the very top of your head.  The best that could be said about it is that it helps keep your head warm, but considering the fact it was invented in the Ottoman Empire, that's pretty much worthless too.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2009, 08:25:35 AM »
The fez has to be one of the most useless hats ever.

It doesn't keep the sun out of your eyes or help keep rainwater off anything but the very top of your head.  The best that could be said about it is that it helps keep your head warm, but considering the fact it was invented in the Ottoman Empire, that's pretty much worthless too.

But having one seems to be the key to landing a supporting/extra part in any Indiana Jones or Humphrey Bogart flick...

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2009, 11:26:58 AM »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2009, 11:58:49 AM »

That's what I wear most days in cold weather, and am frequently complimented.  I'd wear it year-round, 'cept it's too hot.  By carebear's definition, it's a fedora, apparently.  It certainly does not need a suit to complement it.  Most folks seem to think it's a "cowboy hat."  That being said, I also dress like a big boy, meaning no sneakers, shorts, sandals, sweatpants or other silliness.  Tend not to wear sweatshirts or sweaters, either, but that's just me. 

Downsides:
1.  When shopping, etc, it always occupies one hand, so I sometimes leave it in the vehicle.  I could wear it inside, but that just seems poser-ish.  On the upside, it is not so bad as an improvised shopping basket. 
2.  Due to 1, once or twice per season I have to go back to the Steak n Shake or wherever, to see if they have my hat in the lost and found.  So far, they always have. 
3.  Sometimes blows off in the wind. 
4.  In the car, it sometimes bumps into the head-rest or sun visor.  But then, I am too tall for the little vehicles I am driving now-a-days.  I will go back to the full-sized pick-up as soon as feasible. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Iain

• friend
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2009, 12:26:04 PM »
I have an Orvis packable felt hat, rather a lot like a Fedora. Never worn it. http://reviews.orvis.com/7532/7910/reviews.htm

Bear in mind that I am in the UK - I will look into shipping charges if any member wants it.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2009, 12:48:44 PM »

Having myself worked with some of the old timers from the Manhattan Project, I would never equate Adam Savage in the same league.

Oppenheimer's fedora notwithstanding...

Oppie didn't wear a fedora. The brim was too wide and the crown was rolled, not creased. His could be called a porkpie although the crown is a little high for one.