Author Topic: Considering a career change...  (Read 2785 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Considering a career change...
« on: March 04, 2009, 10:52:50 AM »
I've worked my way up the IT ladder from a break/fix tech to currently a database developer working with VB from time to time for installation routines or upgrade/administrative tools for my particular product.  Not bad progress for a guy with an immensely useful Liberal Arts degree in Asian Studies... but I think I want to do something more tangible and valuable with my life.

The last few years I've really been wanting to know more about how a person gets into petroleum exploration.  I would imagine that degrees in Geology, Chemistry, Physics or other sciences would be most likely to be applicable to petro-geology.

Anyone know anyone that works for Big Oil in their exploration departments that wouldn't mind talking to a possible new recruit?  I'd like to get a better feel for what the job might entail before I go and get a second BA or chase down a Master's degree.

And... anyone have a good idea of what the educational requirements are for such a job?

And... I've heard that the oil companies are finding it nearly impossible to get new young recruits to their petroleum exploration teams.  Can anyone confirm that this particular market is indeed highly in demand?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: Considering a career change...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 10:54:35 AM »
The last few years I've really been wanting to know more about how a person gets into petroleum exploration.

Dropping lighted matches down interesting fissures is one way.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 12:01:33 PM »
I'm an IT with a Liberal Arts/Education background. I'm currently working on a BS part time in Forestry. Doing for a career switch also when I am done with my degree.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 12:10:43 PM »
And... I've heard that the oil companies are finding it nearly impossible to get new young recruits to their petroleum exploration teams.  Can anyone confirm that this particular market is indeed highly in demand?

My folks lived in NE Wyoming 1998-2003 and I used to go out there to go trout fishing in the WY Black Hills and the Big Horn Mtns. Many times I would stop by a local watering hole and there would be roughnecks there. I asked them one time how one becomes a roughneck and they told me if I wanted to know be at the place at 7am and they will put me to work that day for $10 an hour to start, pay went up as you proved yourself.

Uranus is a gas giant.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 12:48:48 PM »
Charby:  not looking to work a rig.

More interested in being on the team that is responsible for finding the next place to install a rig.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 01:20:57 PM »
congrats and good luck i changed in my early 40's and wish i'd changed earlier. i lacked the nerve. its often harder the older you get.you sound like you have a real plan and thats better than i did.  though that old saw about a plan and first contact with the enemy is often true too.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 02:22:46 PM »
I'm looking for a career change, as well, or rather, looking to find an actual career. No idea what I want to do, though, so you are way ahead of me there.
Hi.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 02:28:22 PM »
Charby:  not looking to work a rig.

More interested in being on the team that is responsible for finding the next place to install a rig.

Looks like you need to become a Geophysicist.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 02:29:46 PM »
Check out the Univ of Alaska Fairbanks Petroleum Engineering program.  By all accounts it is one of the premiere programs of its type in the world.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 02:36:48 PM »

Uranus is a gas giant.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 03:23:21 PM »
I'm thinking about a career change, too. I've been in the mental health/caseworker field for over 10 years, and I'm ready for something different. I've tried car sales & insurance adjusting before--and realized I have no talent for either.

Anyone know any good websites where I can get some free quick-&-dirty career counselling?
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 03:42:56 PM »
The last few years I've really been wanting to know more about how a person gets into petroleum exploration.

Take a swim in the Delaware.  Plenty of petroleum to explore there.  :lol:

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 04:33:56 PM »
It is also a great time to spend your savings (on tangible goods, like cars and houses) before it becomes toilet tissue.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 04:36:51 PM »
It is also a great time to spend your savings (on tangible goods, like cars and houses) before it becomes toilet tissue.

You mean guns, guns and more guns!

Uranus is a gas giant.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 04:42:11 PM »

No! No! No!

First, the only thing that loses value faster than the current stock market is a vehicle.  Second, liquidating savings to purchase anything, even a home, is a 100% guaranteed loss on your savings investment.

Nope.  Sit tight and ride it out.  It may get bumpy but, if history is any indicator, the market will eventually stabilize and begin to rise.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 10:59:56 PM »
No! No! No!

First, the only thing that loses value faster than the current stock market is a vehicle.  Second, liquidating savings to purchase anything, even a home, is a 100% guaranteed loss on your savings investment.

Nope.  Sit tight and ride it out.  It may get bumpy but, if history is any indicator, the market will eventually stabilize and begin to rise.

Brad

Nothing stays the same forever. "Forget those silly Visigoths; no one can invade Rome!"
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 12:32:42 AM »
Here is a snippet of an article that was in the Spokesman-Review (Spokane) back in May. The article gas been archived and you have to pay to see the whole thing, but this will give you an idea.

It’s a good time to be a geology major.

Graduates in the field are facing lucrative opportunities as they enter the job market, thanks to record metals and oil prices. The average pay for a petroleum geologist with two years experience or less has risen about 60 percent in the past eight years.

“This year it’s just booming,” said Peter Isaacson, professor of geological sciences at the University of Idaho. “It’s really going great guns.”

Students in Isaacson’s programs – some of whom will graduate today – can choose among jobs and salaries that would make many other graduates salivate.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2008/may/10/geology-degree-a-hot-commodity/

bob

DonTron

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 12:34:35 AM »
AZRedhawk44,

You will need a BS in Geology or Engineering (specifically, Petroleum Engineering).  This will take 4 years as a full time student, but by then the price of oil will be back up there and the petroleum industry will be hiring like crazy.

I can say from experience that the engineering curriculum is a rough one and requires a strong aptitude for science and math. I can't say anything about geology except that paleontology was the most boring class I ever took in my entire life. The field trips were fun though.

Or consider a degree in renewable energy. An equally hot field these days.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 12:46:27 AM »
Thank you, DonTron!

Is it safe to assume you have personal experience in this career path?  Your answer sounds rather authoritative.  You mention experience in the curriculum... did you work in the industry?
--Lysander Spooner