Author Topic: Advice on journalism or broadcasting careers?  (Read 2142 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Advice on journalism or broadcasting careers?
« on: March 04, 2009, 11:24:50 PM »
I think we have at least one guy whose worked in that field. 

I am still working on my BA in history, and I've been thinking about going for a Master's in journalism.  Or maybe some kind of degree in broadcasting.  But I don't know much about either field.  Any advice?

1.  I've never written any newspaper articles, but I think I can write pretty well.  I think I might possibly have a voice for broadcasting, and I am not especially ugly. 

2.  Either seems more marketable than a history degree.  The newspaper industry is shrinking, of course, but there are still news web sites, magazines, etc. 

3.  I believe the j-school at Mizzou is pretty highly respected, and I'd be right next door to the Chapman shooting academy, the Bianchi Cup, etc.   =D  I'd like to get away from Saint Louis, anyway.   ;/

4.  We need more gun nuts and right wingnuts in the news business, anyhoo.

5.  President Charby will need a Secretary of Information, after the revolution. 

What think ye? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Advice on journalism or broadcasting careers?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 12:11:20 AM »
I spent some time on the engineering side in TV years ago.  Sorry I can't offer any decent advice for the talent side.
Maybe your avatar buddy can help?  =D
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 12:19:20 AM »
I have a degree in Broadcast Journalism. I had hopes of producing conservative or non bias news, I've been an IT guy since I got my BA so that shows you how far I went with those hopes.

Journalism is a cut throat business, unless you got something no one else has it takes a long time and a lot of luck to move up the ladder. There is a reason why the anchors on the the network news are as old as they are.

You could always try the blog route and get noticed there.

Whats this President Charby shiznay?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 12:24:43 AM »
You don't need a journalism degree unless you want to spend money, do so if it is Uncle Sam's money. My wife supports my lazy butt as a full time journalist and PR consultant. She majored in English and History, Master's in American Studies. Of course she got that double major in 3 years as the valedictorian of the class ahead of her original class, so she might be a little motivated.

See if you can get in with a local paper, do a column or something. Move up from there. She worked for several small papers in the beginning, as well as getting a start with one magazine editor. To get the magazines you have to learn how to pitch a story well. You will maybe send hundreds of pitches before you get in somewhere. Find a magazine that you think you can write a piece for that fits a type of piece they often run. Make sure they haven't done it before. Scour the mags website and masthead to get the actual editor's e-mail, don't pitch to the generic address. E-mail the editor of the subject area as well as the senior or managing editor.

Don't give up.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 01:23:16 AM »
Thanks.  Interesting advice.  Thanks also for the PM.

As for not needing the degree, I was thinking of trying my hand at the reportage first, before going on to grad school.  I hears it is expensive-ish. 

Charby, I picked your name at random, for my silly joke. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 01:25:12 AM »
My advice: Don't. Pick something that pays, and doesn't have every other corp guy telling you "My niece wants to be a mass communications person."

They don't value her opinion, and they value yours less.

And they'll pay bupkis for it.

Blog under construction

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 03:22:46 AM »
Be prepared to either argue or grit your teeth a lot.

I work for a student newspaper as the production manager/layout editor (small paper).  ALL of my coworkers (the other editors; we don't pay our writers) are liberal to the core.  The only reason I don't get into arguments damn near every day with them is that I knuckle down and concentrate on my work.  Unless you can find a spot in conservative media, you will be working with people who do not share the majority of your views, and they like to talk about it all the time.

(As a side note, I find it amusing when they complain about people complaining about media bias, and yet can't perceive how their views infect their own work).
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 09:05:14 AM »
Loooooong row to how, imho.  I've heard it stated that J-schools graduate enough people every year to fill ALL the journalism jobs in the country.  Start a blog.  Attract attention to your sagacity.  Maybe you can sell ads and self-publish.  Good luck.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 09:51:36 AM »
As for not needing the degree, I was thinking of trying my hand at the reportage first, before going on to grad school.  I hears it is expensive-ish. 

If you do it right they will pay you to go to grad school. Its called an assistant ship, you do the research for a professor, you teach classes and grade papers in return you get tuition pay either whole or part and get a monthly stipend.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 10:06:46 AM »
last I heard about 6000 journalism folkes are unemployed from the industry
and there is little growth for new jobs

I spent 15 years in magazine publishing rising to the Manager of Digital Imagery

The new editor hired cronies and the old team was flushed

lots of deadline stress, budget cuts and golden parachuted vice presidents

heres a good whats going on in the industry blog:
www.mediabistro.com

job board:
www.journalismjobs.com

run away from this industry
It's half dead and full of zombies
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 11:02:53 AM »
The industry was troubled even before the economy tanked. Disabuse yourself of any notion that you can make it working one job as a staff reporter or editor. Especially in the beginning, small newspapers and magazines won't let you make a living as a beat reporter. A motivated freelancer can still thrive. Second on the Mediabistro, may want to get a paid membership. Journalismjobs.com also.
AKA Navy Joe   

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 11:45:15 AM »
I spent a year as an engineer at a TV station. My experience was that those folks with degrees in communications/broadcast journalism wished they'd gone another direction.

Why?

Most ended up behind a camera and made little money because there are a limited number of talking head positions available. Reporter positions are a bit easier to get but one is still competing with a lot of folks (who got those communications degrees) for a limited number of positions.

With the exception of the chief talking head, subordinate talking heads and reporters all made less money than any of the engineers at the station. The assistant chief engineer and the chief engineer both made more than the top dog talking head.

If you're in it for the bucks and are willing to play the games necessary to become a real reporter or talking head (and from the way you write I believe you may have a flair for it) then broadcast journalism may be a viable option. It'll get your foot in the door.

Otherwise with a degree in History - get a masters and teach at a junior college, or a PhD and become a professor. (what the heck else can one do with a history degree?)
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 11:51:52 AM »
Otherwise with a degree in History - get a masters and teach at a junior college, or a PhD and become a professor. (what the heck else can one do with a history degree?)

Anything you want really. Where and how you got your degree and your work history will open plenty of doors. Before my wife quit working for the man she did teach junior college, public school and such. Then she got a job with a Fortune 500 company as labor relations negotiator. Good job, no law degree, but argued labor law and wrote analysis all day. All the brass, CEO, VPs and such were History majors.
AKA Navy Joe