Author Topic: NewEgg order... :-)  (Read 5484 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
NewEgg order... :-)
« on: March 05, 2009, 12:03:57 PM »
I alternate from working at home and working at the office.

I've got a beautiful 24" widescreen monitor at 1900x1200 resolution at work... talked the boss into it when he assigned me to make an ERD document for our database, and I couldn't "see" any of it on the screen with the 17" I used to have.

So, I've been at home working on my personal PC, doing some coding.  Going nuts bouncing between screens to compare one source against another.  I've got a pretty nice 19" LCD that isn't a slouch with screen real estate, but I just don't have enough room to have everything open at once! :angel:

I ordered a Samsung 24" 2433BW monitor for $299 with free shipping.  Wow.  What a steal.  I also got a Seagate 7200.10 (I love this series of drives!) 640gb drive sent with it @ $69, also with free shipping.  I was running out of drive space, too.

I'm going to try and NOT dual-head the home computer, and just get by with the 24" on the desk.  I'll probably sell the 19" I have now... It's in excellent condition with no dead pixels and frankly is a wonderful monitor.  Games well, no ghosting or lag or anything.  Princeton made it and I got it at Costco 3 years ago for $300.  I'm thinking a CL ad @ $90 is fair, since new ones go for ~$125.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: NewEgg order... :-)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 12:39:47 PM »
Why not dual head?  I couldn't live without it after I started using it.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 12:49:53 PM »
Heat, electricity and footprint on the desk.

I dunno, maybe I'll get a new desk some day.  Of course, then it will be time for a new monitor to replace my "too small" 24" widescreen that only does 1900x1200 and I really need 3000x1800 from a 32" monitor. =D

I'm not in a rush to sell the old one... we'll see.  I can maybe free up room on the desk and leave it powered off most of the time.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

go_bang

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 01:43:29 PM »
If you're going to go through all the hassle to run dual monitors just make the jump to three.  It makes for a more visually balanced work area, with the stuff you work on most in the center monitor and anything you need to keep an eye on but not always need to look at pushed off to the flanking monitors.  In fact, a 24" wide flanked by a pair of 20" standards is a sweet setup.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 02:03:11 PM »
If you're going to go through all the hassle to run dual monitors just make the jump to three.  It makes for a more visually balanced work area, with the stuff you work on most in the center monitor and anything you need to keep an eye on but not always need to look at pushed off to the flanking monitors.  In fact, a 24" wide flanked by a pair of 20" standards is a sweet setup.

Multiheading quickly becomes a must-have.  I wouldn't be able to get nearly as much accomplished with out the 4 monitors that live on my office desk.  One for office administrivia (Outlook (for work e-mail, because I have to), Thunderbird (for personal e-mail, because I can), stuff like that), one a VNC into my dev server, one a VNC into my test server, and one a VNC into my source code repository server.  One mouse and keyboard across four machines in one seamless desktop.  It's a thing of beauty.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 02:38:21 PM »
Multiheading quickly becomes a must-have.  I wouldn't be able to get nearly as much accomplished with out the 4 monitors that live on my office desk.  One for office administrivia (Outlook (for work e-mail, because I have to), Thunderbird (for personal e-mail, because I can), stuff like that), one a VNC into my dev server, one a VNC into my test server, and one a VNC into my source code repository server.  One mouse and keyboard across four machines in one seamless desktop.  It's a thing of beauty.

-BP

My wife dual-heads at her work with a monitor plugged into her laptop (which, for some reason, they gave her instead of a desktop - appears to be company policy for all) - but FOUR?!?  If I told her about that, I'd have to go buy a new (bigger) desk TOMORROW.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 02:41:35 PM »
Staples just had AOC 22" ones with 3ms response time and 10,000:1 contrast for...$149.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 02:43:39 PM »
I use two 17" at home.

I have had up to 5.

For my purposes 2 is ideal.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 02:47:36 PM »
Staples just had AOC 22" ones with 3ms response time and 10,000:1 contrast for...$149.

I had that discussion with my boss when I got my work 24".  He wanted me to get the $350 22" monitor at the time rather than the $450 24" one.

The difference between a 22" @ 1600x1024 and a 24" @ 1900x1200 (I think those were the resolutions....might be slightly off now) was significant.  I can get a LOT more data on screen at 1900x1200.

It's nice when your boss listens to a well argued point and says "Well, sounds like you know exactly what you need."
--Lysander Spooner

bmitchell

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 04:34:48 PM »
I use two 17" flat panels at work but I also use NVidia's multiple desktops to have logically seperate workspaces; one for general work stuff, one for projects (for instance if I have to remote desktop into a lab of machines or keep several putty windows open) and one for all other stuff, like my music player and a web browser.

At home I use one 17" and have not been feeling the need for more space since I mostly use it for playing Counterstrike:Source or web stuff.  My hardware grinds if I use two monitors while running CS:S and my desk space is limited anyway.

I always felt that desktop area improvement was overlooked, or at least underrated.  More desktop (as in monitor) space is usually a greater boon than more memory (or any other upgrade).

Ben

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 06:10:30 PM »
It's nice when your boss listens to a well argued point and says "Well, sounds like you know exactly what you need."

This is one of the reasons that I enjoy working where I do so much.  I've worked in places where we had to write up requisitions for pens.

Here, if it's equipment for your job, you go to a guy named Steve, and you say (for instance, as I did a couple weeks back), "Steve, I need a SATA drive for testing.  Doesn't need to be big.  100 gigs should do it.  Do you have any old ones lying around?" 

And Steve says, "Crap, no, we don't.  Here.  Take this new 500G one."

Four monitors was a cakewalk.  The multiple dev and test servers, and the rack to house them, took him a day or two, but no more effort than asking him.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 06:33:43 PM »
I use two 19" CRT's at my job.  If I could afford it, I'd have two 19" 16:10 LCD's at home. 

IF I could REALLY afford it, I'd have two 60" LCD's.  =D
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

crt360

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 07:46:58 PM »
I'm getting by with dual 22"s.  I'd have trouble finding room for more.
For entertainment purposes only.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 08:51:03 PM »
I'm sorely tempted.

Geek.com sent me an email flyer today, offering HP 22" widescreen rotating monitors for $149.99.

Dunno if I have the desk space for such, but I can try. 

BTW, when you buy a big honkin' ATI Radeon that requires two extra power feeds in addition to what it gets from the motherboard, make darned sure you have enough airflow in the case.  They're pretty good at converting the extra juice into pixels and heat.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 09:17:52 PM »
BTW, when you buy a big honkin' ATI Radeon that requires two extra power feeds in addition to what it gets from the motherboard, make darned sure you have enough airflow in the case.  They're pretty good at converting the extra juice into pixels and heat.

Yeah, I've got 2 of those Radeons in CrossfireX mode in my chassis.  Had to buy a 750W power supply.  My case has a total of 12 fans, if I remember the count correctly.
--Lysander Spooner

WeedWhacker

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 11:15:43 AM »
Newegg.com is fantastic, and almost any electronic item I buy, assuming newegg carries it, I buy it from them.

Interestingly enough, the one class of item I will not buy from newegg is LCD monitors. They have an upfront policy that states that newegg won't consider taking back an LCD monitor with anything less than EIGHT dead pixels. Since dead pixels don't always "die" quietly, and having one, lone, errant bright green pixel shining at me, brightly shining when it's not supposed to, shining directly in my eye...

I bought my Samsung SyncMaster 2253LW from OfficeMax. They said they'd take it back and replace it immediately if there was even one dead pixel; thankfully, all its pixels live!
"Higher education" is often a euphemism for producers of fermented, homogenized minds.

WeedWhacker

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 11:16:27 AM »
Yeah, I've got 2 of those Radeons in CrossfireX mode in my chassis.  Had to buy a 750W power supply.  My case has a total of 12 fans, if I remember the count correctly.

I'll bet your PC doubles as a Dirt Devil hand-vac.
"Higher education" is often a euphemism for producers of fermented, homogenized minds.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 11:20:20 AM »
I'll bet your PC doubles as a Dirt Devil hand-vac.

It's actually quieter than the little air purifier running on "medium" next to it.

ETA:  Nah, I lied, sort of.  When working on desktop apps, it's quiet.  If gaming, the fans on the GPU's kick up and also the power management software for the whole system ratchet up the RPM's for the other fans.  Gets a bit louder for games, but then again I also have the game sound effects and pretty special effects to distract me from the chassis noise. =D
--Lysander Spooner

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 11:49:39 AM »
I've been known to have the SpeedFan app turn all the fans in my systems to 100%, and there's only 6 of them in an IBM Intellistation.

The big 120mm units inside make it sound like a jet engine.   =D

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 11:58:08 AM »

The big 120mm units inside make it sound like a jet engine.   =D

Once, in a fit of boredom inspiration, I took a bunch of 4" fans and stacked them just to see what would happen.  It was interesting how much pressure the stack created.  It was more interesting how much noise it made.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 12:53:47 PM »
I only have one at home.. 2 at work.  2 is much nicer, but I don't have the "realestate" right now at home to fit 2.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 01:15:16 PM »
Monitor and new HDD to be delivered today... Yay. =D
--Lysander Spooner

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 01:36:27 PM »
I can only imagine the internal temperatures created by a pair of Crossfire-enabled HD Radeons.  A 750 watt power supply generates heat of its own, too. 

I'm already seriously looking at a Koolance Exos external water-cooling setup for my big black monolith machines here, and they only have a 500 watt power supply.

Now that spring is approaching and we really don't need the extra heat, it may be time to speed up the process.   

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 02:20:40 PM »
I am running a 2560x1600 & a 768x1024 on my work mac

the little 14 is my go to email viewer
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2009, 02:25:10 PM »
Now that spring is approaching and we really don't need the extra heat, it may be time to speed up the process.   

Is the radiator going to be outside, with piping going through the wall?