Author Topic: 10 shot, killed in south Ala. towns; shooter dead  (Read 4182 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
10 shot, killed in south Ala. towns; shooter dead
« on: March 10, 2009, 09:19:17 PM »
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D96RGT280&show_article=1

Mar 10 09:06 PM US/Eastern
SAMSON, Ala. (AP) - Authorities say at 10 people have been shot and killed in two south Alabama towns, including the gunman.

The Alabama Department of Safety says at least four shootings by a single gunman left at least nine people dead before he killed himself.

The department says in a statement that the shootings began late Tuesday afternoon in Samson. The shooter killed five people in one home and one each in two other homes.

The gunman then shot at a state trooper's car, striking the vehicle seven times and wounding the trooper with broken glass.

Police pursued him to Reliable Metal Products just north of Geneva, where he fired an estimated 30 rounds.

The statement says the gunman then went in the business and shot himself.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

SAMSON, Ala. (AP)—At least seven people were shot and killed Tuesday in south Alabama, including the gunman, officials said.

Six people were confirmed dead in the town of Samson, said police dispatcher Jim Stromenger.

Samson Police Chief Gary Weeks said the suspect was shot and killed. But it is unclear whether it was self-inflicted or whether he was shot by police near the Reliable Metal Products company outside neighboring Geneva.

Stromenger said the gunman started firing at a gas station in Samson, shooting a woman there.

He then went to a Samson home and shot five people, Stromenger said. He said it was unclear how the shooter might have been related to the people at the house.

Stromenger said the shooter then drove 12 miles east to Geneva "and apparently he shot some people there and he made it to Reliable metal and that's where the incident ended."

The suspect's name was not released.

The Alabama Bureau of Investigation said it would have a statement later on the shootings.

Reliable Metal Products makes grills and vents for heating and AC systems, mainly for hotels. A call to a person who answered the phone at the plant said no one could talk about the shooting.

The towns of Geneva and Samson are about 11 miles apart, and roughly 30 miles south of Fort Rucker, near the Florida border in southeast Alabama. Geneva's population is about 4,400 and Samson, 2,000.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: 10 shot, killed in south Ala. towns; shooter dead
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 11:17:45 PM »
ya, breaking news on Drudge.
Terrible, prayers sent. =(
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 12:06:51 AM »
According to other news sorts of things, he just drove around with a rifle and got random people.

State Sen. Harri Anne Smith, R-Slocomb, said some of those killed in Samson were sitting outside.

"He was just driving down the street shooting at people sitting on their porches," she said. "A family was just sitting on the porch and they were shot."
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D96RIKP80&show_article=1

Tragedy. I hope there isn't copycats as people become more desperate. This looks like an "already unstable guy lost job, nothing to lose, maybe on antidepressants" from a first glance.

I just feel bad for the families of the injured and killed.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 12:11:14 AM by Manedwolf »

crt360

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 12:44:37 AM »
The story I saw said he started by apparently killing his mom and burning down her house, then going to kill his grandparents, aunt and uncle.  Damn.   =(
For entertainment purposes only.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 02:54:48 AM »
What a terrible thing. Sounds rather like the "DC sniper" bastards. I hope we don't see more of these idiots doing this kind of thing.  :mad:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 03:25:36 AM »
The story I saw said he started by apparently killing his mom and burning down her house, then going to kill his grandparents, aunt and uncle.  Damn.   =(

Shades of Charles Whitman...good thing it's spring break.   =(

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 10:14:09 AM »
Just down the road from my home town of Enterprise (born at Ft. Rucker), Samson is about as typical a southern farming community you can imagine.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 11:21:47 AM »
"He opened up on us with an AK-47," said Geneva Police Chief Frankie Lindsey, who was wounded in the shoulder. "That's what it looked like. It could have been an M-16, but it was an assault rifle, automatic. And he burst about 15 to 18 rounds on our vehicle, all at once."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=7055006&page=1

Sigh...

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 11:28:58 AM »
Wonder where the looney got a full auto, what ever it was.  The police should know what it was because, 1, they got the guy and his gun, and, 2 they are the so called experts in firearms........The anti gunners are pushing this one already......chris3

Rudy Kohn

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 11:41:13 AM »
The same guy, who said it was a full-auto AK or M16, goes on to state that his vest saved his life.  :rolleyes:
Unless it was somehow chambered in a handgun round, those two statements are, I think, mutually exclusive.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 11:45:38 AM »
Actually, if the round had to pass through the outer vehicle shell first the vest could have stopped it. Or he might wear SAPI plates.

Still, M16 or AK47? Moron.

Have the ghouls at the Brady Bunch started exploiting the victims yet?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 11:48:18 AM »
Dang, sorry for the families.

That's what it looked like. It could have been an M-16, but it was an assault rifle, automatic. And he burst about 15 to 18 rounds on our vehicle, all at once.

huh?  How do you not know whether it was an ak or ar, but are still certain it was an "assault rifle"?  And I really wonder whether it was "automatic".

Unless it was somehow chambered in a handgun round, those two statements are, I think, mutually exclusive.

Yeah, that was idiotic writing on the writers part.  The chief didn't say it saved him, he said it "came into play".

Well, I hope this isn't the one the anti's use to try and push through some legislation.

Rudy Kohn

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 02:53:28 PM »
Balog, you're right, of course.  I was assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that neither of those cases applied.

Well, I hope this isn't the one the anti's use to try and push through some legislation.

I hope you're right, but I doubt it.  If I was a tinfoil-hat-wearer, I'd comment on how it was really interesting that this occurred right after Holder's statement got shushed by Pelosi et al... but such a statement would not really be helpful to the conversation.

At this point, I instead think it's important that we contact our reps and remind them that these kinds of shootings are statistically rare, usually involve preemptive breaking of gun laws, and are not a good basis for general legislation.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 02:58:10 PM »
The stupid is painful...

Myers, the grieving sheriff's deputy, made an appeal Wednesday to tighten the country's laws on the ownership of automatic weapons.

"As a community, as a family, as a nation, we need to do something about this," he said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,508507,00.html

Like what, 1934?

And ownership, hm? Not "purchase", even if semiauto was, as usual, meant?

I am a bit worried that Obama hasn't come out with a statement, yet. It better just be a condolence, and not Rahm "not wasting a good crisis" for a play on emotional appeal here!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 06:07:08 PM »
normally I might call up the dept in question and ask why they can not tell the difference between semi and auto
but in this case they get a pass for now, he lost a wife and child.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 06:17:52 PM »
The stupid is painful...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,508507,00.html

Like what, 1934?

And ownership, hm? Not "purchase", even if semiauto was, as usual, meant?

I am a bit worried that Obama hasn't come out with a statement, yet. It better just be a condolence, and not Rahm "not wasting a good crisis" for a play on emotional appeal here!

I'm glad he hasn't.  I'm tired of Presidents that micromanage every microcrisis that hits the news feed.  Maybe he just won't care.  Even a nannystater knows the FedGov can't be everywhere... that's why we have StateGov and CountyGov and CityGov and HOA's and forum moderators. =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 08:03:01 PM »
So we have a very pro-AWB administration, and now the emotional catalyst to push it forward.  A horrible event, which may have horrible extended consequences on a national level.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 11:53:47 AM »
If the Second Amendment depends on their never being a random example of extreme violence we are in serious trouble--of confusing anecdotal sensationalism with general wisdom to live by.  Unfortunately, that seems to be the culture we now live in, which lurches from one emotional feeding frenzy to another and looks for "solutions" that are anything but.  The only way to eliminate isolated cases like this will be total disarmament, backed by a police state and complete psychiatric oversight, right down to our fingernails from cradle to grave.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 01:47:43 PM »
This happens every year.  April syndrome.

There's something about the period from February to May that makes folks want to kill each other.  It all comes out in March and April.

We're not done yet.  We'll get another mall shooting, probably a school shooting or three, and possibly even a politically oriented assassination or attempt.  The crazies come out this time of year.

Those of you with permits may want to trade out the P3AT or 642 for something just a bit more potent until April has come and gone.  This is THE time of year to carry your wundernine or 1911.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 02:00:25 PM »
Not particularly politics, per the Irwin rules. It has some AWB content, but the majority of the thread is still focusing on the original topic, so I am pushing it back into the Round Table - until such time as it veers into a political discussion. ;)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 02:04:12 PM by Gewehr98 »
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 03:48:14 PM »
Thread ping pong; all the cool mods are playing it.  :laugh:

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 03:55:26 PM »
Those of you with permits may want to trade out the P3AT or 642 for something just a bit more potent until April has come and gone.  This is THE time of year to carry your wundernine or 1911.

Taurus 605CH (5-shot .357Mag) with two speedloaders and a speed strip on me, PT-99 and spare 17rd mag locked up in the car, 12ga with buck and slugs in the trunk, plus one box each of magnum slugs and magnum 000.  Anybody know of a good on-call artillery and forward air support service in case that's not enough?