Author Topic: Cops Demand Removal of 'Racist' Art  (Read 3901 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Cops Demand Removal of 'Racist' Art
« on: March 12, 2009, 10:20:21 PM »
Cops Demand Removal of 'Racist' Art

REPORTED BY: DUFFIE DIXON
A pair of Atlanta police officers have filed complaints against a piece of artwork that is being displayed at City Hall East.

They are the latest complaints about the controversial display that some say promotes racism. Many of those complaining insist that the art be taken down.

The exhibit is designed to showcase both well-known artists as well as those just starting out. The piece that is garnering all of the attention is called "Formula For Hatred."

"If I had thought it was offensive, I would not have agreed to show it," said curator Freddie Styles.

Of all the pieces in the City Hall East art display, Styles said he expected complaints about the sketches of nudity –– but not the one that is getting all the attention.

"I thought it was an attractive piece visually," Styles said.

The piece has 32 flags, with a hidden message that reads, "Politically It's Okay To Hate The White Man."

What does it mean? Artist Alvaro Alvillar said he wanted to provoke thought.

"It's made to make you think about politically, is it okay to hate the white man –– whatever your skin color is," Alvillar –– who is Hispanic –– said.

Some call it insightful, while others –– including two police officers who work at City Hall East –– call it racism. They want it removed.

The officers have filed formal complaints.

"There are other officers, and other members of employment of the city who have been reprimanded, and told to bring things down that were in their cubicles or in their work sites, so we feel that they should have the same rights as anyone else, that if something offends them, and it's hanging in a public building, the city should pay attention to that and take it down," said Atlanta police union spokesman Sgt. Scott Kreher.

For his part, Alvillar said he has incorporated flags into his art for years. The majority of his pieces are blatantly patriotic.

"It really takes a lot of looking to figure it out," said Styles.

Styles, who is black, said it is something that drew him to the art, and that he has no plans to take it down.

"It is all right as Americans to ask questions, even if they aren't always pleasant questions," Styles said.

Those questions will likely keep being debated until the exhibit's end on April 27.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Cops Demand Removal of 'Racist' Art
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 10:22:04 PM »
STATEMENT

I use text along with icons such as the American flag like a book cover that alludes to the many stories that one finds inside. The U.S. is loved and hated, idolized and loathed; these feelings change like the weather depending on what circumstances we find ourselves in. I put words and ideas on it to place the viewer in the position of making a decision about where they stand or at least to contemplate what this country means to them.

http://web.mac.com/studioartservices/Studio_Art_Services,_Inc./Als_cv.html

The man is quite good at what he does:
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 10:22:31 PM »

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 10:23:56 PM »
http://web.mac.com/studioartservices/Studio_Art_Services,_Inc./formula_press.html

This piece was based on the Table of Elements. (the title clues you in on to how to decode it as shown above)
When you read the capital letters it says, “POLITICALLY ITS OK TO HATE THE WHITE MAN”
When you read the small case letters, it says, “is it ok for me to hate if ive been a victim”

It was immediately labeled “racist” and a public outcry ensued.

this statement was read by the artist at a forum held by the city of Atlanta at the request of Mayor Shirley Franklin to discuss whether or not “formula for hate” should continue to hang in City Gallery East.

Formula for Hate

I love my country! The United States of America, in my opinion, is the greatest country on earth. It is the most diverse place in the world and open to anyone willing to obey it’s laws. It is the most generous. When there is need anywhere in the world, the citizens of this country personally reach deep into their own pockets, and more, to provide anything that is asked of them. No questions asked and nothing expected in return. It is a place of limitless opportunities. It is still the place where you can reach for the stars. Within reason, anything is possible. It is a place where you’re given a second chance, again and again. If you’ve fallen, and you’re willing to look deep inside and make the necessary changes, this is the place where a second chance is only the beginning of the gifts offered you. I could go on and on about our qualities, but there is not enough time here for that now.

And I know that there are those among us, and elsewhere who would disagree with me. In fact I’m sure I’ve just alienated even more people. You/they have that right, that’s just another great thing about this country. And yet, there lies the problem. I keep hearing politicians and others telling me the people have spoken, the people want change, the people want this and that, and I’m thinking, who are these people they keep talking about? I know that most of the times I hear those words, I disagree, so they can’t be talking about me. I for one am tired of both of the extremes, on the left and on the right. I am tired of our self-loathing and how that gets the most press. I am tired of the bias in the news and how they deny it. I am tired of those who’ve been afforded the ability to amass great wealth and fame here, only to constantly spit in this country’s face. I take that personally and I am not alone. It’s time that the hard working, law abiding people in this country, those who go about their business quietly, taking care of their families and loved ones, those who choose their fights carefully and don’t have the time nor the luxury to make fools of themselves, to be shown some respect. And it doesn’t matter what color, race, religion, education, sexual preference, size, age or what our individual pursuits are, leave us alone and stop lumping us together to suit your political agendas.

It is time for those of us who live in the here and now, who can appreciate our differences and live together to start healing the best way we can by becoming better informed and moving forward. Never forgetting the past, always learning from it, and making better choices so that our children can live happily and care free, so that they may grow up and make a difference in this crazy world.

Alvaro Alvillar

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 11:17:59 PM »
I'm on my phone and can't see the pics, but this guy is already my favorite living artist.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

guns and more

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 09:20:35 PM »
Regardless of the artists talent, if it said, "Politically, it's okay to hate the black man."
how long do you think it would last? Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would be in Atlanta on the next flight.
Politicians would be falling down to get to the microphone to decry the racism.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 09:23:11 PM »
Regardless of the artists talent, if it said, "Politically, it's okay to hate the black man."
how long do you think it would last? Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would be in Atlanta on the next flight.

Look at some of the art and think.  It seems that his message is one of satire, that he's pointing out that many are rising to political power on the "get whitey" platform.  I'd imagine Jesse Jackson wants to cut his nuts off.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 09:24:49 PM »
Look at some of the art and think.  It seems that his message is one of satire, that he's pointing out that many are rising to political power on the "get whitey" platform.  I'd imagine Jesse Jackson wants to cut his nuts off.

Win.  =D =D =D
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

guns and more

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 09:35:07 PM »
Satire? How does satire of a black man play? Not at all. Words mean something.
And my word of the day is: Bullcrap.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 09:41:17 PM »

Satire? How does satire of a black man play? Not at all. Words mean something.
And my word of the day is: Bullcrap.

I keep hearing politicians and others telling me the people have spoken, the people want change, the people want this and that, and I’m thinking, who are these people they keep talking about? I know that most of the times I hear those words, I disagree, so they can’t be talking about me.

When you read the capital letters it says, “POLITICALLY ITS OK TO HATE THE WHITE MAN”
When you read the small case letters, it says, “is it ok for me to hate if ive been a victim”

You don't get it, do you?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 10:31:54 PM »

Guns and More, you've effectively proved the artist's point.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 12:27:19 AM »
LadySmith, quit hatin' on the white man, dang it.   =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 12:49:27 AM »

Well, hatin' on the white man has the advantage of being able to be done in public.

Lovin' on the white man, OTOH, requires you get a room...

:police:  <-- Ever Lovin' Cop says, "Get a room, you two!"
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 12:53:15 AM »
Upon my word, sir, what is it you suggest?  I remind you, sir, that I am a married man.  [High Dudgeon, &tc.]

guns and more

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 07:49:52 PM »
Guns and More, you've effectively proved the artist's point.
I don't approve of either type of racism.
The artist had no point, other than to be a racist.
Funny how the left is so fast to condemn any white comments,
but can't seem to figure out it's the same when it's a minority comment.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 10:19:03 PM »

As JJ said, you just don't get it.

The artist wasn't being racist, he was pointing out that racism against white people is still racism

now that I've had to explain it to you, it loses it's panache', though.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 07:49:01 AM »

Here let me hit it from another angle
When you read the capital letters it says, “POLITICALLY ITS OK TO HATE THE WHITE MAN”   JJ says:  The white man is a popular scapegoat.
When you read the small case letters, it says, “is it ok for me to hate if ive been a victim?”  JJ Says:  The artist sees the hypocrisy of the white man being treated as the scapegoat.
JD

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 12:35:34 PM »
Ahhh, but only whites can be racists.

I have this on the assurance of numerous nonwhites whom I would certainly call racist had I not been so informed.

(Where is that "dripping with sarcasm" smiley?)
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 01:19:33 PM »
  The white man is a popular scapegoat.  

So it appears that PFC Lewis was correct in dubbing me "The whitest of the whitest white men."  How did he know? 

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 08:09:08 PM »

:laugh:
I'm not hatin'. I declined the offer of a Race Card long ago. The interest on that thang is too darn high.  =)
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).