Author Topic: The poor thing...  (Read 4731 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
The poor thing...
« on: March 19, 2009, 08:00:57 AM »
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gorKtp8z_RcvXH_Dk9t8doeWWDUAD970MCG02

;/

Wife divorcing ex-CEO: $43 million not enough
By DAVE COLLINS – 14 hours ago

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — A 36-year-old Swedish countess divorcing a former CEO says she cannot live on $43 million.

Marie Douglas-David, a former investment banker, says she has no income and needs her 67-year-old husband, George David, to pay her more than $53,000 a week — more than most U.S. households make in a year — to cover her expenses.

David stepped down last year as chief executive at Hartford-based United Technologies Corp. but is still chairman of the board and has an estimated net worth of $329 million. He and his wife accuse each other of extramarital affairs. Their divorce trial started Wednesday.

"I'm just very sad that we are where we are," Douglas-David said. "I hope we resolve this soon so everybody can move on with their lives."

David briefly took the stand Wednesday. Asked if his marriage is irretrievably broken, he simply answered, "Yes."

David and Douglas-David married in 2002, but the marriage was in trouble by 2004, court papers show. Amid a series of reconciliations, the couple signed a postnuptial agreement in October 2005 that would give her $43 million when they divorce.

Douglas-David wants the agreement invalidated. She accused her husband of coercing her to sign it by preying upon her fears of being divorced and childless. She's asking to be awarded about $100 million in cash and stock, plus $130,000 a month in alimony.

David is asking a judge to uphold the agreement and order Douglas-David to vacate their Park Avenue apartment but keep their properties in Sweden. His attorneys asked for a separate hearing Wednesday on the document's validity, but the judge declined.

Douglas-David has filed court papers showing she has more than $53,800 in weekly expenses, including for maintaining a Park Avenue apartment and three residences in Sweden. Her weekly expenses also include $700 for limousine service, $4,500 for clothes, $1,000 for hair and skin treatments, $1,500 for restaurants and entertainment, and $8,000 for travel.

At that rate, Douglas-David would burn through $43 million in less than 16 years. The Census Bureau estimates that the median U.S. household income in 2007 was just over $50,000.

Anne Dranginis, an attorney for David and retired Connecticut Appellate Court judge, predicted that Douglas-David will get much less money in the divorce if she doesn't accept the terms of the postnuptial.

In court papers, Douglas-David said she quit her job as an investment banker for Lazard Asset Management to travel and entertain with David, who still earns $1 million a year from United Technologies. While chief executive in 2007, David made nearly $27 million in salary and bonuses.

Douglas-David's legal team includes prominent New York divorce attorney William Beslow, who represented Mia Farrow in her child-custody suit against actor-director Woody Allen and Marla Maples in her divorce from Donald Trump.

United Technologies is the parent company of Carrier, which makes air conditioning units, and Otis Elevators. It also owns Sikorsky, which makes commercial and military helicopters, and Hamilton Sunstrand, an aerospace manufacturer that makes components for NASA's space program.

David is expected to return to the stand Thursday for several days of testimony.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

zahc

• friend
Re: The poor thing...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 09:56:22 AM »
I really, really do not understand how the phenomenon of alimony exists. It's one of those things that happens to men in our society because men are too proud and embarassed to complain about anything, also, because nobody has any sympathy for men. I'm really ashamed at my own sex sometimes for what it puts up with.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 10:14:23 AM »
Well, I think traditionally alimony exists because a woman gave up her ability to become economically viable on her own by getting married. Not saying it's always or even usually a good or reasonable thing, but that's the reasoning.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 11:09:39 AM »
A lump-sum settlement of $43,000,000 is more than enough to keep many people economically viable.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 11:15:45 AM »
A lump-sum settlement of $43,000,000 is more than enough to keep many people economically viable.

Oh yeah, in this case the woman needs to stfu and deal.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 11:23:32 AM »
Moral of the story.. prenup.

I have a long standing theory that people like this should be dropped in the middle of the woods 75 miles from the closest help.  Give them a map, compass, 5 days of food and water, a tarp, hiking stick, and say "good luck, see you in a few days".  If I was king this would be mandatory at age 12.

I really think it would build character.  Some people have never been forced out of their comfort zone.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
it just boggles my mind that she can actually SPEND that much in a week. $4,500 for clothes a week!?!?!?!
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 12:08:23 PM »
it just boggles my mind that she can actually SPEND that much in a week. $4,500 for clothes a week!?!?!?!

I was wondering about that too. I guess she never wears anything twice? Does she resell the old clothes? I suppose that would cut down on the storage space required.  :laugh:

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 12:14:23 PM »

Keep in mind I am a guy, but I am relatively sure I have not spent that much on cloths in the last 4 years....

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 12:19:10 PM »
I don't think I've spent that much on clothing in my entire adult life.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 12:29:45 PM »
With a $4500 weekly clothing allowance, she probably has a shoe collection that would turn Imelda Marcos green with envy. Instead, give her the address of the nearest Goodwill and WalMart stores.

And $8000 a week on travel - in addition to $700 weekly limo service? Nope, give her a can full of subway tokens.

$1500 for restaurants and entertainment? Uh uh . . . give her a coupon book to Mickey D's and a subscription to Netflix.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 01:38:20 PM »
I don't think I've spent that much on clothing in my entire adult life.

Same here, I've never paid over $15 for an article of clothing unless it had a specific purpose, like boots, rain jackets, etc.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 08:23:56 PM »

PTK

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 08:32:46 PM »
What she wants per week, I've spent less than that on the past three years of living expenses. Three years.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 01:33:02 AM »
I could live a very happy life on 45mil.
Look, tiny text!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 01:53:28 AM »
Is this Swedish countess by any chance looking for a kept man? I would like to volunteer my mellifluous voice and godlike figure in case she is.  =D

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 06:56:44 AM »
Is this Swedish countess by any chance looking for a kept man? I would like to volunteer my mellifluous voice and godlike figure in case she is.  =D
I saw her first dammit!  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 08:32:14 AM »
I saw her first dammit!  :laugh:
John Kerry already has plans made in case his gig with Teresa doesn't work out . . .

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 09:27:45 AM »
I bet I could spend that much in a week, but probably not week after week.  I would probably fill up my house with guns and ammo after one or two weeks and have no where to put anything else.  :)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 09:58:58 AM »
Think of the hobby rooms you'd have with that kind of cash to spend...the gun room, the music room, the PC/game room, the bar, the television room.  I have to agree, I could build all of these to fill my wildest dreams and still not spend what she's being offered.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
I bet I could spend that much in a week, but probably not week after week.  I would probably fill up my house with guns and ammo after one or two weeks and have no where to put anything else.  :)
That's when you save up the money for a couple of weeks, and build yourself a nice bunker/arms cache in your garden =).
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 01:33:15 PM »
This just continues a theme we've seen here in the states lately: nobody should have to adjust their lifestyle based on income. If you can't support it on your own dime, somebody else is required to step in and help you pay for it.   :rolleyes:
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 11:07:34 PM »
Quote from: jackdanson
Moral of the story.. prenup.

Dude--that's WITH THE PRE-NUP!!! 

David and Douglas-David married in 2002, but the marriage was in trouble by 2004, court papers show. Amid a series of reconciliations, the couple signed a postnuptial agreement in October 2005 that would give her $43 million when they divorce.

Douglas-David wants the agreement invalidated. She accused her husband of coercing her to sign it by preying upon her fears of being divorced and childless. She's asking to be awarded about $100 million in cash and stock, plus $130,000 a month in alimony.

Even in civil court, given the mood of the times, methinks her lawyer will have a hard time finding a sympathetic jury.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.