Author Topic: 20" solid rubber spokeless game cart tires  (Read 4139 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
20" solid rubber spokeless game cart tires
« on: March 22, 2009, 02:27:03 PM »
My dad wants to weld me a game cart.  I do realize a unit from cabelas that folds would ultimately better and cheaper but he wants to and it will keep him out of trouble.  I think he is trying to justify all the welding equipment he bought to my mother!  :)  It will look just like any of the open V shaped ones you see everywhere minus the folding part.

We are good to go on the design except the tires.  Where I hunt the area is loaded with prickly pear cactus and sharp rocks so I want solid rubber tires rather than pneumatic.  I am paranoid about standard spokes since I tend to have to drag an animal out of thick brush and small deadfall so I want something stronger like 1/4" spokes or stronger.  The cart will also double as a firewood hauler in the summer and I've potato chipped several regular spoked cart tires with all the bumps in this role on a standard cart.

I've been poking around Northern Tool and other retailers and have not seen what I want.  Anybody have any ideas where I might find such a thing?

Edit:  answered my own question:  http://www.gemplers.com/product/145890/20x2125-Polyurethane-Solid-Cart-Tire-Wheel-Assembly-5-8 unless somebody has an even better idea.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 02:43:02 PM by 41magsnub »

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Re: 20" solid rubber spokeless game cart tires
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 04:22:15 PM »
Is a game cart a sort of tactical wheelbarrow or an oversized Little Red Wagon?

I suggest wide wheels either way. Wider wheels work alright even when flat (and don't plough up when the ground turns to mud in the rainy season we optimistically call 'winter'), but thinner wheels can twist when you overload 'em, and turn your wagon/wheelbarrow into very sorry sort of sled. That's not generally an issue, I suppose - but every once in a while you want to haul a heavy porcelain double sink made during the Carter administration.  :laugh:

You might want to check on lawnmower tires/wheels.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 05:54:17 PM »
Is a game cart a sort of tactical wheelbarrow or an oversized Little Red Wagon?

I suggest wide wheels either way. Wider wheels work alright even when flat (and don't plough up when the ground turns to mud in the rainy season we optimistically call 'winter'), but thinner wheels can twist when you overload 'em, and turn your wagon/wheelbarrow into very sorry sort of sled. That's not generally an issue, I suppose - but every once in a while you want to haul a heavy porcelain double sink made during the Carter administration.  :laugh:

You might want to check on lawnmower tires/wheels.

The end result will be very similar to this:

crt360

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 10:52:24 PM »
Put some steerable front wheels and a seat cushion on that bad boy and you'd have nice downhill lounge racer.

You could always get some cheap, used 20" bmx mags and put airless tires on them.
For entertainment purposes only.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 12:11:28 AM »
A few weapon mounts and you can have an assault wheelbarrow!    =D
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 12:56:40 AM »
Fill the tires with the "goo" stuff, and don't worry.

Put 27" rims on, with spinners. Style...
Blog under construction

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 10:29:45 AM »
I use a two person plastic sled that I got at the hardware store for ~$10.00

Something like this.  With a couple of bungee cords to hold the deer in place and it's all good.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 12:04:59 PM »
IMO, 41magsub, if your father goes with those larger wheels you found, you'll like it better than a commercial game cart. Those 20" wheels will give you much less rolling resistance over rocks and uneven terrain.

When the hub/centerline of the wheel is above the obstacle it impacts, it natrually will climb over it.

Also, I don't think it would be too hard to make it folding. I assume he's going to weld it up out of square tubing?  A couple of holes for bolts and cotter pins, and it should fold right up.
I promise not to duck.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 12:11:21 PM »
IMO, 41magsub, if your father goes with those larger wheels you found, you'll like it better than a commercial game cart. Those 20" wheels will give you much less rolling resistance over rocks and uneven terrain.

When the hub/centerline of the wheel is above the obstacle it impacts, it natrually will climb over it.

Also, I don't think it would be too hard to make it folding. I assume he's going to weld it up out of square tubing?  A couple of holes for bolts and cotter pins, and it should fold right up.

Dad is going all out now...  he just bought a bender so the corners will be pretty AND he bought the 27" version of the tires.  He is going for strength rather than folding, probably to a fault.   Since he is the one building it I'm not going to argue about it.  I tow a trailer when I'm out hunting and this will fit nicely in it so it is not a big deal, storing it will be a little uglier but "them's the breaks" as they say.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 12:51:21 PM »
Dad is going all out now...  he just bought a bender so the corners will be pretty AND he bought the 27" version of the tires.  He is going for strength rather than folding, probably to a fault.   Since he is the one building it I'm not going to argue about it.  I tow a trailer when I'm out hunting and this will fit nicely in it so it is not a big deal, storing it will be a little uglier but "them's the breaks" as they say.

I suppose if you re-purpose it to other "hard duty" like hauling/stacking firewood on occasion, and you have the trailer room for it, strength is better.

From the sound of it, maybe he should weld a hitch right onto it and you can use it as the trailer.  =D
I promise not to duck.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 02:29:14 PM »
You can get solid wheelbarrow tires/wheels at most any Big Box Home Improvement store.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 02:46:59 PM »
add a plow for the winter:
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"