Author Topic: Car insurance  (Read 2556 times)

zahc

• friend
Car insurance
« on: March 25, 2009, 02:29:13 PM »
I need to purchase liability-only car insurance for a totaled Toyota Corolla, since my parent's carrier are going to drop me at the end of this year. I'm interested only in being legal especially since my home insurance has good coverage for items stolen out of my cars. Do you have any suggestions or preferences for cheap and easy-to-deal-with car insurance providers?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Car insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 02:39:20 PM »
I've always used progressive.  Back when I was a single male, under 25, it was quite reasonable for basic liability.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 02:43:45 PM »
If you meet the prereqs USAA.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 02:47:08 PM »
Quote from: zahc
I need to purchase liability-only car insurance for a totaled Toyota Corolla,

If the car is already totaled, why are you getting insurance?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 03:11:50 PM »
Sorry, I wasn't clear. The car is very beat up, and was considered totaled when I bought it--for $500. I think it has a salvage title or something. It's actually functionally sound, drives fine and doesn't wear tires, it's just rather unsightly.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 03:44:42 PM »
Pretty much any recognizable name insurance company will do. The rates these days are competitive for most all of them.  Shop a couple different companies and see what the quotes are.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 04:47:23 PM »
It varies a lot by state and the car.  In PA safe auto was cheapest, in FL some local one...Gator I think was cheapest.  Here in SC when I first moved Allstate was cheapest, and then when I bought my Jeep and wanted full coverage Geico proved to be far and away the cheapest.  It was also the cheapest on liability only.

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 06:49:51 PM »
Call AAA, Allstate and State Farm first.  Then pick a couple of independent agents with multi companies.  Spend a couple of hours shopping around.  It's worth it.

AIG sells auto insurance.  Try them, they may be trying to attract customers with good deals.  Plus, you own the company anyway, so maybe you'll get an "Owner's Discount".   =D =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

PTK

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 06:51:43 PM »
USAA is the best, if you're able to qualify. Best bank, best insurance, best everything really.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 07:05:01 PM »
if price is all that matters.  :cool:{hey where's the winking smiley}

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 09:11:58 PM »
If you can't get USAA, then check out those that advertise, most have websites you can plug your info and get a quote.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 11:47:35 PM »
the one caveat is that some insurers will not insure a vehicle with a salvage title.  Most insurers here in Oregon adopted that policy a couple or three years ago IIRC.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 01:37:51 AM »
the one caveat is that some insurers will not insure a vehicle with a salvage title.  Most insurers here in Oregon adopted that policy a couple or three years ago IIRC.

Maybe not comprehensive but at at least PL/PD/State min. coverage.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 09:31:50 AM »
Hey now, I've been on Erie insurance since I started driving, and they've always treated me well.

Erie also puts a hell of a lot of power in the hands of their local agents though, it may make a tremendous difference who you go through.

When I totalled my car in 2005 (no-fault SVA), my local agent had me handled and done within 2 days. I literally had nothing to worry about except how long it took for the third party insurer to cough up what I was upside-down for, can't recall the term. I even fell under a first accident forgiveness clause, which as I read it returned this year because I kept my nose clean.