Author Topic: gosh darned left hand threads  (Read 4739 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
gosh darned left hand threads
« on: March 28, 2009, 08:39:58 AM »
i just learned (over 2 days) that a ford 1600 tractor has left hand threads on the lugs on the left side   thankfully VERY  strong lugs
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: gosh darned left hand threads
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 08:46:56 AM »
Learned the very same thing about the barrel on my Colt Woodsman. Apparently it's pretty tough as well.  =|

:laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 09:16:25 AM »
i had a 2 foot 3/4 breaker bar and 200 pounds bouncing on the end  i managed to tighten em all a bit before i broke the code and then my impact wrench worked i had tried it before and it wouldn't budge em
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 09:30:49 AM »
left hand side is reversed so the forward torque does not loosen the nuts
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 09:32:51 AM »
Don't feel bad. Even "professional" mechanics screw up.

I had some monkeys at a bike shop in Idaho repair a transmission seal on my Harley. Some of the major fasteners in the primary are right hand thread, so the factory shop manual recommends using Loctite red, the semi-permanent stuff. Well, these monkeys were purists who didn't believe in Loctite, but the laws of physics don't care about what they believe. Right handed fasteners spinning counter-clockwise at high rpm's tend to loosen quickly.

I found that out when I got back home to Milwaukee and had to fix some of the work I paid them to do, all because they didn't use Loctite as I told them to.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
left hand side is reversed so the forward torque does not loosen the nuts
There's nothing worse than loose nuts...

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 11:32:34 AM »
especially between the seat and the steering wheel

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 11:59:02 AM »
arrrgh! its driv'n me nuts
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 05:27:35 PM »
Is this thread right or left handed?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 05:50:10 PM »
I think left handed threads should be banned and all the south paws who start them send to RIGHT handed re-education camps until corrected.

Wait..  what was this about again?

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 06:00:31 PM »
Yeah, Ford on their heavier trucks and vans does that stupid thing. Frustrating and unnecessary.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 01:02:55 AM »
I think left handed threads should be banned and all the south paws who start them send to RIGHT handed re-education camps until corrected.

Wait..  what was this about again?

Better watch it.  Some of us southpaws shoot back.   :angel:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 09:12:34 AM »
i just learned (over 2 days) that a ford 1600 tractor has left hand threads on the lugs on the left side   thankfully VERY  strong lugs
This is nothing new.  I learned of it in the 1950s, and it was probably old by then. 

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 10:51:15 AM »
i had a 2 foot 3/4 breaker bar and 200 pounds bouncing on the end  i managed to tighten em all a bit before i broke the code and then my impact wrench worked i had tried it before and it wouldn't budge em

400 foot-lbs if you were only standing on the bar, bouncing on it could've easily doubled that.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 11:47:11 AM »
i was holding the grab handle pulling down and bouncing   VERY STRONG  bolt  i think i stretched it a might. i replaced it just in case.  did i mention i left the wheel weight on and the darn wheel flopped off and pinned me under it? giving my helper a dilema  help me out or take pictures and go to lunch

280plus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 12:42:03 PM »
Tough choices there!  :lol:

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 02:06:12 PM »
hes a nice guy thankfully  as soon as he stopped laughing he helped me out. he was equaly helpful three years ago when i got wrongfully arrested  we both wish he  got pics of me in cuffs

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 02:10:07 PM »
Better watch it.  Some of us southpaws shoot back.   :angel:

Yeah and most of us are ambidextrous and shoot well with both hands.  Plus, we lefties are in our right minds. =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 02:15:17 PM »
my daughters a lefty and does that  is that typical?  she writes left throws right shoots either

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 02:18:01 PM »
I write and throw left handed.  I can bat either way.  I shoot right handed, but can shoot pistols left handed also.  It was just the way I learned.  I golf right handed also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

grampster

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 05:02:38 PM »
Being ambidextrous for left handed people is quite natural.  We live in a right handed world so we are forced to adapt.  Thus we become able to use both hands.  That, and we're much brighter, better looking, taller, socially adept, have better jobs, are luckier and we have all our teeth which are whiter and more even.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 05:04:52 PM »
Maybe it's just a display problem on your end?
 Threads are always left-handed by default. If they were right,
 it would look kind of funny. Like this.
I suppose if you read Hebrew or something, It's not so odd...
I promise not to duck.

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009, 08:06:45 PM »
i'm 1/2 japanese  it might work for me

zahc

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 12:45:46 AM »
If I want left hand threads, I just browse DU.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2009, 08:39:44 PM »
Being ambidextrous for left handed people is quite natural.  We live in a right handed world so we are forced to adapt.  Thus we become able to use both hands.  That, and we're much brighter, better looking, taller, socially adept, have better jobs, are luckier and we have all our teeth which are whiter and more even.

Exactly.

=D
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth