Author Topic: Don't know much about shotguns...  (Read 6459 times)

BridgeRunner

• friend
Re: Don't know much about shotguns...
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2009, 11:13:02 PM »
Put the bbl in a vice.  Hacksaw it to length and deburr it.  Your won't need a bead.

Grampster, don't you think it might be useful for Chris to learn how a shotgun works and feels before dispensing with the bead?  I agree, the bead is pretty irrelevant in most situations, but for me, it was a handy crutch until I learned how my shotgun behaves.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2009, 11:50:32 PM »
If you've always been happy with pistols/rifles for home defense, why would you suddenly change because you have a shotgun?
Good question.

I'm a rifle and pistol guy, too.  I once got a defensive shotgun in trade for something else I was trying to dispose of, a Mossy 590.  It was a good gun, and perfect as a defensive shotgun.  But it wasn't right for me.  I just couldn't get used to it.  I sold it and bought a new rifle.

Even if you do cut down the barrel (or buy a replacement short barrel), what assurance do you have that you'll like the gun and want to use it for home defense?

I'd suggest you simply appreciate the shotgun for what it is, Dad's old gun, and leave it alone.  Rely on your familair rifles and pistols for defense.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:56:01 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 02:09:23 AM »
Grampster, don't you think it might be useful for Chris to learn how a shotgun works and feels before dispensing with the bead?  I agree, the bead is pretty irrelevant in most situations, but for me, it was a handy crutch until I learned how my shotgun behaves.

Yeah, having a bead makes a difference if you haven't used shotguns a lot, especially if the shotgun doesn't fit right (which is fairly likely).  Not having a bead is fine if you've got lots of practice with your shotgun and/or it fits well, but it's probably not a good idea for a beginning shotgunner.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2009, 08:34:09 AM »
Yeah, just stick with your rifles and handguns.  Learning to use a new type of weapon would be foolish and pointless.  Don't expand, don't improve yourself, don't learn any new skills. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2009, 08:49:57 AM »
As to the bead.  Chris has made a point of not being interested in using the shotgun for any other reason than HD, if I am reading his intent correctly.

A 12 ga. scatter gun used in that fashion will have two outcomes both involving one tactic:  Pointing it in the general direction of a home invader.

Mere pointing in the general direction of the invader may cause an end to the situation.

If the weapon has to be discharged pointing in the general direction will be effective with 00 buck shot at close quarters.  That's why I recommended the field test at 4 different distances.

Just my opinion.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 09:27:09 AM »
Don't be obtuse fisty. If he'd said "After thinking it over I've decided a defensive shotgun would fulfill my needs better than what I currently have" no one would think anything of it.

But he said a shotgun happened to drop in his lap so he's going to use it. He later clarified that a bit, but for something as important as home defense I'd think sticking with what you do best is a good idea.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2009, 11:08:54 AM »
And, to further clarify, I'm not suddenly going to unload my handguns, lock them up, and count on the 12 gauge to make it through the night.  I appreciate that a handgun is very useful in close quarters, but I don't think there's much of an argument that a short barrelled shotgun is a suerior stopped at home defense ranges.  My only short rifle, with a handy length for indoors is my .22, which is not ideal for defensive use.  Don't have an AR (yet).  Basically, I've got a windfall because my brother doesn't want a long gun in his home (he keeps a pair of handguns for just in case purposes). 

After all of this talk, and after reading about the Smith 916, I'm thinking that it may be best to leave the 916 as is, and save some bucks for a Remington, Mossberg, or something similar.  916's have a reputation for parts breaking, and I don't want anything like that in a defensive weapon.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark