Author Topic: Don't know much about shotguns...  (Read 6460 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Don't know much about shotguns...
« on: March 30, 2009, 10:48:39 AM »
Well, I'm about to become the owner of a Smith and Wesson 916 12 gauge shotgun.  It was my dad's home defense shotgun, and mom wants me to have it.  Well, I'm a handgun and rifle guy.  Never had much use for a shotgun since I don't hunt.  I've fired shotguns before, even carried one for a while in the Army.  Other than that, I don't know anything about shotguns.  The reason I'm asking is that this Smith has a barrel that measures 28" from the fron of the reciever to the end of the barrel.  For my purposes, as a home defense/utility firearm, that barrel is just too long.  My immediate thought was just to have someone cut the barrel down to about 20-22 inches.  But, sa I read more about shotguns, I see that at the end of the barrel there's a choke that impacts the spread of the shot.  So, I'm assuming (dangerous, I know) that it's not a simple matter of taking a saw or pipe cutter to the barrel and making it shorter, that you have to do something to the barrel to make it pattern accurately?  Also, there's the issue of the bead front sight for aiming.  I'm guessing that this isn't a home gunsmithing job, am I right?  Or, am I overthinking this, and is it as simple as a quick cut and a soldering job?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

bmitchell

Re: Don't know much about shotguns...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 10:54:17 AM »
If you cut it down you will have a cylinder bore (other words no choke).  At HD ranges I don't see a problem with that.  You'd also be good to go with slugs if you want.

You may also be able to get another barrel and install that instead so you wouldn't have to mar the current barrel, but they may not be cheap or readily available.
If you're not worried about returning it to its current configuration it should not be a big deal.
Once it's cut I'd take a rat tail file and smooth down the edges.
Also, be sure to keep it legal (over 18" I think) if you don't want to file paperwork.

I'd be sure to practice with the pattern of buckshot at intermediate distances if you have a range that allows shotguns (mine doesn't).

Ben

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 11:12:10 AM »
Before you start cutting, contact Briley, Brownells, and Numrich to see if they have any replacement barrels. That will save a heirloom and still make it useful for your needs. They may even have barrels threaded for choke tubes.

I like your idea of a 20-in. barrel. 18.5" always seemed too short for an all-purpose shotgun.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 11:20:01 AM »
ATF rules barrel length from the back end of the chamber, not from the end of the receiver, IIRC.

With bolt closed, a barrel should be able to accomodate an 18" dowel dropped in from the muzzle end.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 11:20:50 AM »
Before you decide to use that shotgun for home defense, make sure that you know about the benefits and disadvantages of shotguns vs rifles vs handguns.  No one category is best.  Specifically, learn about ballistics and interior/exterior walls.

Choose your ammo wisely.  That applies to all firearms used for home defense.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 11:26:53 AM »
What everybody else said plus don't call it a "shotty" unless you enjoy ridicule!  =D

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 11:43:14 AM »
It's not particularily collectable. A little research shows S&W 916's going for around $200 +/- in the used market. However, I'd still second/third the advice to look for a barrel first.

Cutting the barrel can be as easy as just using a plumbing tube/pipe cutter. However, you're going to lose the front bead, and any future collectability/value it may generate in the future if you do that.

It looks as though Numrich/Gun Parts Corp. has what you're looking for though.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=361160
http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=843380
http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=361180
http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=843350
http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=800100-02E
http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=420860

I'm not 100% sure, but you may have to go with an 8-shot magazine tube as well, to be compatible with a 20" or 18" barrel.

If this all seems too much trouble, and you don't want to cut on a family heirloom. (Mossberg budget line) Maverick 88's with 6-shot magazines can be had at various sporting good stores for under $200, especially if you watch for sales, or coupons in the paper etc. I have never heard anyone complain about them.

What everybody else said plus don't call it a "shotty" unless you enjoy ridicule!  =D

Yes, everyone knows you're supposed to nonchalantly refer to it as "Mah guage..."  =D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:47:54 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 11:48:45 AM »
chop sawing dads shotgun?

IMHO it has done perfect duty so far in its current format

If you shorten the barrel, the next day, you will get invited to a duck hunt
and zombies will arise to plunder.

1 more vote for keeping the heirloom in original form.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 12:06:25 PM »
I like your idea of a 20-in. barrel. 18.5" always seemed too short for an all-purpose shotgun.

What's it too short for?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

bmitchell

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 12:18:32 PM »
Quote from: seeker_two on Today at 10:12:10 AM

What's it too short for?

An all-purpose shotgun.

Ben

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 12:23:21 PM »
The only good reason I've ever heard of to take a saw to shotgun barrel is one the has bulge beyond the 18" mark.

Another +1 on getting a replacement barrel, or better yet buying a new shotgun (You can never have enough  =D )

Buy several boxes of shells, and head over to the the local trap/skeet/sporting clays club and ask about getting some instruction, then have some fun.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 12:31:32 PM »
Choke:  You could Vang it or do some other high tech bs.  I have cylinder tubes on all of my shotguns.

Sights:  I like ghostrings, keeps my head down.  Nothing wrong with a bead.

Sights I like:  

http://www.xssights.com/store/shotgun.html

I use XS on my lever action carbines and they work wonderfully.

XS makes a nice big bead that I have on my double barrel in the master bedroom.

My general purpose shotguns have a standard mag tube, 18" barrels, forearm with a light, sidesaddle and a simple sling (no buckles, extra straps, etc.).

Here's what they look like from an old pic at THR:  

http://www.thehighroad.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=1694&d=1046919195

I recommend taking it to Shootrite or coming over to Indiana and taking an Awerbuck class in August.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 12:35:30 PM by El Tejon »
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 12:33:36 PM »
What's it too short for?

An all-purpose shotgun.

Ben

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 01:46:24 PM »
If you shorten the barrel, the next day, you will get invited to a duck hunt
and zombies will arise to plunder.

Isn't that always the way it happens?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 01:48:05 PM »
I recognize that Smith shotguns have little collector appeal.  Frankly, from what I've read, the quality is pretty much hit or miss.  This one has had a problem with a broken action bar, but Dad had that repaired long ago.  To be honest, Dad had always planned on having the barrel cut down and a recoil pad installed.  It was one of those things that he just never got around to doing.  So, I'm not worried about going against his wishes, or destroying an heirloom.

My questions were more based upon (1) the expense.  I don't want to spend a ton on gunsmithing on a gun, if I can get a suitable similar gun for the same price (like a used 870).  Second, I don't want a shotgun that is going to have an accuracy problem.  I know enough about shotguns to know the "scatter gun" isn't that.  It doesn't spray an area with shot.  My concern was based upon my ignoance as to what function a choke has.  Someone once explained it to me as being similar to a nozzel on a garden hose, in that the shope of the choke causes the shot spread to be tighter or looser.  If that is true, then a "no choke" or cylander choke, would be greater or lesser spread?

Is this all worth the headache and time/money spent on a gunsmith, or should I just save up for a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 with a 20" barrel?

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 02:39:05 PM »
I think you are over-thinking it.  Get the hacksaw out and something to debur it.

The only experience I have Is my Ithaca which is a smooth-bore made for slugs.  It has no choke which is what you'll be dealing with once you hack your barrel.  It'll put most pellets of buckshot into a man-sized target from 25 yards, and it'll put 5 slugs into one big hole at 50 yards.

My dad has been shooting deer with slugs for 20+ years on a autoloader he describes as "An old goose gun that I cut the choke off of with a hacksaw."
Charles Babbage

bmitchell

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 03:28:20 PM »
Yes! I won a Picard!

:lol:
Ben

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 03:37:08 PM »
 My concern was based upon my ignoance as to what function a choke has.  Someone once explained it to me as being similar to a nozzel on a garden hose, in that the shope of the choke causes the shot spread to be tighter or looser.  If that is true, then a "no choke" or cylander choke, would be greater or lesser spread?

Less choke = less spread, generally speaking.  In your case, there would be no choke (nozzle) in the barrel, so your spread would be a bit larger/quicker. 

Shotguns can be overchoked, but that's not relevant to this discussion.  For home use, a cylinder bore choke will suffice once you find the right load.

If you are already proficient with rifles and pistols, you may want to stick with those, especially the rifle if it is an AR15 type.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 03:43:34 PM »
Well, my links above, assuming you HAVE to get the 8-shot magazine tube to support the barrel properly would cost you about $91, barrel, magazine spring, and magazine tube.

With shipping etc. say about $100 even give or take.

Is cutting a barrel easy to do? Yes. Tape to keep it straight, and a hacksaw will do. A tube cutter will give you a more finished look, and leave you with a bit less de-burring to do to the new muzzle.

Is $100 for factory parts worth paying to avoid the (minimal, I'd think) risk of doing it wrong, or getting a lousy pattern, even for a cylinder bore? Chris has to decide that.  =)
I promise not to duck.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 07:50:43 PM »
If you've always been happy with pistols/rifles for home defense, why would you suddenly change because you have a shotgun?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 08:15:33 PM »
My questions were more based upon (1) the expense.  I don't want to spend a ton on gunsmithing on a gun, if I can get a suitable similar gun for the same price (like a used 870).  Second, I don't want a shotgun that is going to have an accuracy problem.  I know enough about shotguns to know the "scatter gun" isn't that.  It doesn't spray an area with shot.  My concern was based upon my ignoance as to what function a choke has.  Someone once explained it to me as being similar to a nozzel on a garden hose, in that the shope of the choke causes the shot spread to be tighter or looser.  If that is true, then a "no choke" or cylander choke, would be greater or lesser spread?

As others have stated, the less choke on a shotgun, the greater the spread.

Generally.

Most home defense shotguns are either cylinder bore (no choke) or improved cylinder (very slight choke).  The only time you really need a greater choke is for longer shots, beyond 15 or 20 yards, at which point you should probably be using a slug anyway unless you're hunting waterfowl.  For the most part, even if it's shot out of a cylinder bore, the shot is only going to open up one or two inches per yard of travel, which means at common HD ranges the entire spread is probably going to be no more than 3-5 inches at maximum.

Ammunition choice also makes a big difference, sometimes more so than what choke your gun has installed.  For instance, Remington Express 00 buckshot will have a larger spread when shot out of my Remington 870 with a modified (medium choke) tube installed than Federal Vitalshock buckshot when shot out of an improved cylinder (very little choke) tube.  This is because the Remington Express buckshot is not buffered or plated, which means the pellets tend to deform, causing a larger pattern even though it's been shot through a choke tube that is supposed to cause smaller patterns.

My suggestion is to go ahead and chop it, given that's what your father was going to do anyway.  Make absolutely sure you've got more than 18" when measured for the face of the bolt to avoid running afoul of the NFA. Make sure that your cut is even and that you debur it afterwords, then have a gunsmith install a bead and/or make any finishing touches to the chopped barrel.  Then buy a couple of different brands of ammo and test them to see which one performs best out of your shotgun.  Like rifles, shotguns can be pretty picky about what ammunition it performs best with. 
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 08:48:46 PM »
Regolith and AJ, thanks for the practical advice.  All others as well.  And, just to make certain given a couple of the responses...I'm not suddenly abandonning my handguns, I'm just getting my hands on a shotgun.  I have no use for a long barrelled hunting shotgun, as I don't hunt.  Not against it...in fact I enjoy venison...I just don't have time or much of an interest.  The shotgun will be for general purpose utility/defensive purposes.  A 20" barrel or so is just more handy than a 28"-30".  This one has a five-shot tube, FYI. 

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2009, 10:20:31 PM »
A 20" barrel or so is just more handy than a 28"-30". 

Yup.

When I bought my shotgun, I got it with a 28" barrel because I bird hunt.  I later bought a 20" for HD, and that's what my shotgun has installed unless I'm shooting birds or trap (trap, btw, is an a excellent way to practice with your shotgun, and although a longer barrel helps with follow-through, it isn't required).

This one has a five-shot tube, FYI. 

I would stick with that for now.  Extensions are nice for holding more rounds, but they don't really give you a whole lot more (maybe two or three more rounds depending on the length of your barrel), and they change the balance of the shotgun.  It's better to simply practice reloading quickly. 

I would get a shell carrier of some type, though.  They allow you to hold five or six more rounds somewhere on the exterior of the shotgun itself, so they're handy when you need to reload.  Uncle Mike's makes a decent one for around $15 that slips over the butt stock and holds five rounds.  That's what I have on mine, and it'll fit any shotgun.  They also make ones that will attach to the left side of the receiver, but I don't know if they make those for the S&W 916. 
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

grampster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 10:38:26 PM »
Put the bbl in a vice.  Hacksaw it to length and deburr it.  Your won't need a bead.

Buy a box of 00 buckshot.  Take the shot, the gun and a few large pieces of cardboard out to the woods.  Fire it at 10 feet, 15 feet, 20 feet and 25 feet to get a feel for the pattern.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2009, 11:04:36 PM »
I personally would get a replacement barrel, and hacksaw that one... I'd keep the original for hunting, etc...
Blog under construction