Author Topic: New (old style) weapon in Iraq  (Read 7532 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
New (old style) weapon in Iraq
« on: April 01, 2009, 08:46:29 AM »
No link to article...

From an article on Iraq. ..."Most of the latest attacks, at a time when overall violence is at its lowest level since the beginning of the war in 2003, have singled out Iraqis, but one development affects the Americans. A new weapon has appeared in Iraq: Russian-made RKG-3 grenades, which weigh just five pounds and, attached to parachutes, can be lobbed by a teenager but can penetrate the American military’s latest heavily armored vehicle, the MRAP. The grenades cost as little as $10, according to American military officials, who would not say how often they have killed soldiers. "....... This is the grenade they refer to;;  looks like a German WWII Potato Masher...

http://www.inert-ord.net/russ02i/rkg3_upg8/index.html

Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: New (old style) weapon in Iraq
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 09:24:17 AM »
I was hoping you were going to say Puff the Magic Dragon was being resurrected.

Too much to hope, I guess.

"Spooky", as it also became known, had such awesome firepower it was almost invulnerable to small arms fire. On a typical black starless night in July, 1973 "Spooky" lifted into the sky over Bien Hoa. Like a vulture "Spooky" slowly circled its target at 2,000 feet and with all its guns blazing at the rate of 6,000 rounds a minute, there was no place to hide. "Whoever built 'Puff' had a sick mind." said one soldier. "At night it looked like a red line of light coming from the heavens, like Hell leaking fire."

"Once 'Puff' had done his work on an North Vietnamese Army company and we went out on patrol to count bodies," said another soldier. "We walked for about a mile and didn't see anything. First we could smell it, and then we couldn't believe what we saw. What was once 200 men was now a stream of slush. 'Puff' had shredded them to bits leaving nothing but communist mush. It was just like putting 200 men through a meat grinder. When Puff did his work there wasn't enough left to put in a bag and send home to Mama."

Dang.

http://www.dc3history.org/ac47_puff.htm

Sorry for the thread hijack.  :angel:
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 09:42:17 AM »
I've wondered about how cost effective it would be to just fill a few B52s full of small pieces of scrap metal, and then just dump 'em over the target...

Blog under construction

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 09:54:58 AM »
New?

Ummm no, apparently no one in the U.S. militree has a book about WWII AFVs. ;/
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
HIJACK!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 10:07:30 AM »
I was hoping you were going to say Puff the Magic Dragon was being resurrected.

Too much to hope, I guess.

Dang.

http://www.dc3history.org/ac47_puff.htm

Sorry for the thread hijack.  :angel:

Why would they resurect a defunct and obsolete piece of crap?  The AC130 is the AC47's successor and does a marvelous job at obliterating the enemy.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

280plus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 10:16:52 AM »
And chances are the enemy can't reach it with one of those grenades...  =D

:laugh:

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 10:20:37 AM »
New?

Ummm no, apparently no one in the U.S. militree has a book about WWII AFVs. ;/

I recall reading about the use of "anti-tank grenades" on the Eastern Front.

Obviously the grenade was single-use, but I suspect the user was, too, given how close to a tank you needed to be.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 10:27:32 AM »
I recall the Brits used "sticky bombs" against tanks. I think they used something like tar on the outside of the explosive pack so all you had to do was throw it at the target and it would stick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sticky_bomb

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 10:47:19 AM »

Obviously the grenade was single-use, but I suspect the user was, too, given how close to a tank you needed to be.

Seems like a great urban warfare grenade, tossed from a rooftop ontop of the tank.....hard to defend against in an urban environment especially during an occupation.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 11:15:45 AM »
Sticky bombs play a role in Call of Duty World at War (COD5).
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 11:26:37 AM »

Yes, it is as if none of the Doggies have heard of a "Panzerhandminen" (panzerfaust head with a stick).  The US militree has a chronic case of CRS.

Soviets had something similar.  That's why the Dutchies started putting that anti-magnet paste on their AFVs.  Kostya and Misha would pop out of the grass and slap on a magnet mine on a MkIV and then run like hell.

The US militree had a rifle grenade that was similar to this.  My maternal grandfather said it was very handy for bunkers, but if you could hit an open top IFV or AFV it would burn for days.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 12:25:08 PM »
Sticky bombs play a role in Call of Duty World at War (COD5).
You know, I got that for Christmas, maybe an older version, but my damn graphics card couldn't handle it.  =(

Ion Idriess talks all about methods an urban resistance force could use to defeat a tank in one of his Guerilla Series books. Verrrry interesting.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 12:26:50 PM »
Is the parachute stabilizer large enough to allow re-direction with a fan?

"Malik, your grenade . . . it is . . . coming back to you!!!"
For entertainment purposes only.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 12:27:02 PM »
Seems like a great urban warfare grenade, tossed from a rooftop ontop of the tank.....hard to defend against in an urban environment especially during an occupation.
Not really . . . just see to it that there are no rooftops left that are higher than the top of the tank.

Problem solved.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 01:26:29 PM »
Soviets had something similar.  That's why the Dutchies started putting that anti-magnet paste on their AFVs.  Kostya and Misha would pop out of the grass and slap on a magnet mine on a MkIV and then run like hell.

The Germans also had magnetically attached grenades. Anti-magnetic paste or concrete was used to counter this. In fact, I remember reading about a German soldier who went to attack a T-34, but when the tank spotted him and tried to run him over, he had to dive into a shallow trench. The tank crossed the trench and the soldier attached the grenade to the belly of the tank, which did not have concrete on it.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 01:56:14 PM »
So this is basically just a shaped charge designed to attack the armor from the top.  Neat design if it hits right. 

Are our vehicles going to start putting grating on the top now? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 02:14:22 PM »
Yes, it is as if none of the Doggies have heard of a "Panzerhandminen" (panzerfaust head with a stick). 

I think the literal translation is Armor/Tank Hand Mine.

BRad
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 03:53:13 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 03:52:01 PM »
Not new. They just need to get close enough to throw it at a vehicle, which is pretty easy in a city.

Hitting from the side works fine, the chute just keeps it oriented.

There was a spate of attack with these several years ago, but I haven't of any since then.

Here's some video...

And an article

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 05:04:14 PM »
Not really . . . just see to it that there are no rooftops left that are higher than the top of the tank.

Problem solved.

A little hard to do without butchering the civilian population.
JD

280plus

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 05:22:22 PM »
Hey Wingnut! Nice to "see" you!  =D

How's things?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 11:36:50 PM »
A little hard to do without butchering the civilian population.

Your point is?......  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2009, 03:41:13 PM »
Your point is?......  =|

We aren't genocidal monsters? That wouldn't even be like Dresden; it would be massive civilian death for no damn reason.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2009, 03:52:24 PM »
We aren't genocidal monsters? That wouldn't even be like Dresden; it would be massive civilian death for no damn reason.

I think saving our soldiers' lives is reason enough. They're not American civilians.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2009, 03:58:23 PM »
During WWII, if any resistance was met in a town, they often pulled back and bombed/shelled it.  One good way to take out a sniper in a building was to take down the building with a bazooka or something else.  War sucks. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2009, 05:45:37 PM »
I think saving our soldiers' lives is reason enough. They're not American civilians.

...and we have no responsibility to risk American lives to save the lives of other who weren't smart enough to get out of the way.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.