Author Topic: Non-electric coffee brewer  (Read 4629 times)

Hutch

• friend
Non-electric coffee brewer
« on: April 04, 2009, 09:15:35 PM »
I'm looking for a coffee pot to use on a camp stove.  I'd prefer to NOT use a percolator, and I don't want the old cowboy "throw in a handfull of coffee and let it settle" suggestion.  I have found a pyrex pot with a funnel for a filter perched on top you simply pour hot water into.  That may suffice, but I'd like something a little more like my auto-magic Krupps dripper.  Is there such an artifact?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

go_bang

Re: Non-electric coffee brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 09:31:16 PM »
Coleman makes one that looks almost exactly like an electric automatic drip coffee maker, except it sits on a camp stove and is powered by the heat from the burner.  I've never used one, but I've read a lot of positive comments by those who do.  One consistent complaint is that the coffee gets cold quickly, but you would have that problem with any Pyrex pot in the outdoors.

Have you considered an insulated coffee press?  We use one for our trips.  The 1 liter model by Thermos is good for about four big cups of coffee and it keeps it warm through breakfast.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 09:38:36 PM »
Thanks for the tips, guys.  The Coleman you both refer to looks near 'bout perfect.  I suppose the insulated press is like a French Press gizmo?  If that's the case it requires a much coarser grind than I can produce.  So... off to the Coleman-getting-place.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 10:05:02 PM »
What I do at my cabin use a big funnel, put a coffee filter in it, ground coffee, and slowly pour hot water through it into a thermos.  Not the best cup of coffee I've ever had but not bad.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 10:08:44 PM »
Problem solved
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 07:03:32 AM »
Actually, most modern french presses don't require that fine a grind.  I've known people who even get by with maxwell house.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 06:02:06 PM »
Uh... I've got one of those Coleman dealies. Works just fine, and you just leave the stove on a little to keep it warm.

I now own a generator, and I just plug in for coffee. I've also used a Chemex camping.

Make me an offer.

Blog under construction

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 06:59:53 PM »
French press.  Problem solved.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 09:43:16 PM »
What I do at my cabin use a big funnel, put a coffee filter in it, ground coffee, and slowly pour hot water through it into a thermos.  Not the best cup of coffee I've ever had but not bad.
works pretty good.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 02:23:37 PM »
They also make a nifty little french press attachment for Nalgene bottles. If you were hiking or needed to save weight.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 02:42:23 PM »
They also make a nifty little french press attachment for Nalgene bottles. If you were hiking or needed to save weight.

I bought one of these from REI and use it when traveling and hiking.  It works surprisingly well. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 05:00:20 PM »
if yer car camping, starbucks has a steel french press, I bought one a few years ago and its been great.
it aint never gonna break
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 05:30:42 PM »
if yer car camping, starbucks has a steel french press, I bought one a few years ago and its been great.
it aint never gonna break

Thats all I do anymore, and usually only because there is some primo fly fishing to be had somewhere without a decent motel.  I've actually considered aquiring a larger tent, maybe a small wall tent or a .mil CP tent.
 :lol:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 05:32:51 PM »
small wall tent with wood stove FTW.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 05:37:40 PM »
A little slice of heaven!  Fish and drink all day, play cards and drink in the tent for a few hours, sleep like babies to the sound of a craclkin fire.....
JD

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 05:55:38 PM »
You just need a rustic 80 year old log cabin directly at the confluence of two blue ribbon trout fishing streams and only 20 easy paved miles from the Big Hole river that is the only cabin in the area.  Oh wait..  that's just me!   =D  its a 30 second walk to good fishing water, 5 minute drive to great fishing water!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 11:02:55 PM »
Can I come out sometime? I promise not to fish. I'll just sit, brood, watch the critters, and quietly swill bourbon.

Blog under construction

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 11:55:22 PM »
Come on out!  Course..  it is will be the end of May before the snow melts and the roads dry enough to drive in the last mile.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 12:12:12 AM »
Caution, Blasphemy ahead! If I am camping I usually just kick about with some Folgers filter bags. 1 solid fuel tab, a little water in my $6 stainless mess kit and I have coffee. I don't think it's too bad. One of my family's latest quest for coffee sans coffee maker involved a camp stove, kettle, some really good espresso grind, and a paper coffee filter shoved into a cut off water bottle that some brave or stupid soul got to hold while the brewed coffee was poured through. I was that guy. I like to think I'm brave but plenty of other people have their opinions.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 12:22:19 AM »
Caution, Blasphemy ahead! If I am camping I usually just kick about with some Folgers filter bags. 1 solid fuel tab, a little water in my $6 stainless mess kit and I have coffee. I don't think it's too bad. One of my family's latest quest for coffee sans coffee maker involved a camp stove, kettle, some really good espresso grind, and a paper coffee filter shoved into a cut off water bottle that some brave or stupid soul got to hold while the brewed coffee was poured through. I was that guy. I like to think I'm brave but plenty of other people have their opinions.  =D

I was going to call it expendable, but you can call it brave if you like!  :)

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 07:57:27 AM »
French G, if I'm the only one drinking coffee, I use the filter bags too.  They taste fine to me and are easier to deal with while camping.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 10:52:08 AM »
French G, if I'm the only one drinking coffee, I use the filter bags too.  They taste fine to me and are easier to deal with while camping.

Chris

Same here.

In the Boundary Waters we use instant coffee. If you mix it with hot chocolate it is drinkable.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 11:03:02 AM »
I've had good coffee from a percolator, but I typically use the filter bags too. My bet for multiple people would be a French Press.
D. R. ZINN

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 11:55:01 AM »
If I am just making coffee for myself when camping or traveling, I use one of these methods:

http://www.rei.com/product/726094

http://www.rei.com/product/750397

http://www.rei.com/product/638124

I use the middle link (the GSI filter) most often, since it attaches to a 32 ounce Nalgene bottle.  I routinely drink this amount of coffee by myself in the morning.  I have found that I get the best results with this filter when I dump the coffee into the bottle, add hot water and then screw in the filter.  This produces a richer cup of coffee comparable to a french press.  The instructions say to load the filter with coffee and then screw it into the bottle filled with hot water.  This also works, but takes longer to produce a full-bodied cup. 

If I am making coffee for a crowd, then I will use the french press that fits into the Nalgene bottle.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.