Author Topic: You stapled what?  (Read 5894 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
You stapled what?
« on: April 08, 2009, 04:42:46 PM »
We have some continuous feed dot matrix printers for churning out insurance claims.  The kind with the ribbon cable the is connected to the print head.

^^Ribbon cables and print heads.
Today the user of one of these printers called me to say her printer was freaking out.  Lights blinking crazy, print head jittering back and forth.  I went down there, had a look, and found that she had stapled the ribbon cable to the fabric or nylon guide thing that rides next to the cable.  It seems she didn't like that the cable and guide were starting to separate.  Tape apparently did not work, so she moved on to staples. 
Pulled out the staples, and magically, the printer works again.   

Sigh.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Re: You stapled what?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 05:13:32 PM »
Turn her ignorance into a guilt trip by saying the "freak out" was really the printer's way of screaming in pain.  =D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 05:24:53 PM »
Blond? =D
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 05:29:26 PM »
I had a bike shop customer that was "restoring" an old bike with a rusty chain
and he could not figure out how to open the chain to remove it

so he sawed through the frame

;/
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 05:48:37 PM »
Hey, at least it wasn't a body part..... =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 08:10:53 PM »
I had a bike shop customer that was "restoring" an old bike with a rusty chain and he could not figure out how to open the chain to remove it
so he sawed through the frame

I like people with lots of management potential.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 08:15:32 PM »
I knew a gy that stapled right through his finger with one of them real long jobs they use on pallets. It was in so deep we had to use pliers to grab it and pull it out.

I knew another guy who drilled right through a piece of sheet metal and completely though the tip of his finger, he pulled it out himself and there was a piece of meat hanging off the bit, so they taped the bit up on the bulleting board then it and the dessicated piece of meat hung there for probably 20 years afterwards, till they moved to a new location.  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

crt360

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 11:24:27 PM »
Alright, 280.  Trying to mess up my dinner?  The contents of my chicken taco suddenly looked suspiciously like dessicated finger meat.  :D

I stapled my thumb when I was a little kid.  Even then, I recognized the dumbness of it and tried to act like nothing happened.
For entertainment purposes only.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 11:53:32 PM »
The one and only time I stapled myself was the first time I reloaded a stapler.  Pushed the top and bottom together with my thumb directly over that little slot where the staple comes out.  Care to guess what I've never done again?   :lol:
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 01:29:04 AM »
I used to be a range safety officer and you wouldn't believe the number of times people put one hand behind the target backer to "stabilize the frame" and stapled directly into their hand.  And then they wanted me to trust them with guns. :O

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 01:31:58 AM »
Staples are great to hold your guts together after surgery.   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

griz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 08:24:51 AM »
I know a guy who shot his left hand with a nail gun on two consecutive days.  Both times he missed a stud while trying to nail on sheathing.  The second time required a trip to the hospital.  We teased him for a long time after that.  He got tired of forks, pens, and the like being taken away from him for his own safety.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 09:15:21 AM »
Turn her ignorance into a guilt trip by saying the "freak out" was really the printer's way of screaming in pain.  =D

Uhm, I see that explanation as the closest thing to the truth.  I get a lot of users who try to explain their computer issues in "people terms". 

"My machine is tired"
"My program is cranky"

etc, etc

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 09:35:15 AM »
In second grade I was given the task of hanging some decorative paper or whatever on one of those homeosote fiber bulliten boards that flanked the chalkboards. The usual method was to unfold the teachers desk stapler so it could staple into the flat wall.

I was trying to go higer than I could reach, so I started swinging the stapler like a nunchuck/hamemr by it's base, and hit my other hand holding the paper squarely through the web of my thumb.

It didn't hurt that much, so I politely called on my teacher until she turned around from what she was doing to come free me from the board. The expression of of horror  :O combined with exasperation  :rolleyes: was priceless.

I promise not to duck.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 10:11:56 AM »
Alright, 280.  Trying to mess up my dinner?  The contents of my chicken taco suddenly looked suspiciously like dessicated finger meat.  :D
Mmmm, finger snacks!  :laugh:

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 10:16:27 AM »
My cousin managed to run a needle right through his finger when he was sewing. I think we had to use pliers to get the needle out. Goes to show that you can hurt yourself pretty badly even with a sewing machine :laugh:.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 05:01:01 PM »
I've run .020" Safety Wire through my finger or thumb upon occasion. Stuff happens......
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 05:32:48 PM »
I've run .020" Safety Wire through my finger or thumb upon occasion. Stuff happens......

Sounds like the product was misnamed.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 06:18:41 PM »
Not if it held him securely to the fastener...  :laugh:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

mfree

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 02:47:44 AM »
Staples, never really had any incidents. Brads now... ok, so I was a little kid and unfolded one and shoved it in the electrical outlet bare handed.

I *did * play with an unmounted Harris bipod once and managed to snap it shut forcefully on my little finger. The leg stop sank in to the bone... wasn't pleasant in any sense, particularly aural. A wet *thunk*...

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 07:30:55 AM »
From another site:

last summer while trolling we hooked up with a king mack and as I was walking to the bow for my buddy to gaff the king at the stern, I stepped straight onto a bottom rig with a 7/0 J hook from the rod in the horizontal mount. It was already rigged for bottom fishing after we finished trolling and was positioned perfectly to hook my foot as it came back to the deck. The hook went straight in all the way to the bottom of the J into my foot so there was not going to be any pushing the hook through and cutting off the barb. I finished reeling in the king, let my buddy gaff him and proceeded to figure out what to do about the hook. It is 8am and we are 25 miles offshore and I do not want to ride all the way back to the dock with a hook buried in my foot. I eventually used some KANK+A mouth numbing medicine from the first aid kit to numb my foot as I cut out the hook with a swiss army knife until I could see the barb and pulled the hook out the rest of the way. I made sure it wasn't bleeding too bad, applied some gauze and wrapped the gauze to my foot using black electrical tape because the medical tape was not holding on the wet deck. We ended up fishing the rest of the day, caught some more kings, a dolphin, and put some bottom fish in the boat as well.

There's a reason I'm anal about keeping the deck of my boat organized and cleared up while I'm fishing. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

280plus

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 08:58:22 AM »
Some shoes wouldn't be a bad idea either.  =D

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 09:17:39 AM »
There's a reason I'm anal about keeping the deck of my boat organized and cleared up while I'm fishing. 

Very good.  Nothing I hate more than a  deck loaded down with old rusty hooks.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 11:26:39 AM »
Some shoes wouldn't be a bad idea either.  =D

In the heat of summer mine end up off alot.  Just got some sweet Sperry topsider flipflops, though.   :laugh:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 11:50:53 AM »
How ironic would it have been if all they had caught was a Sole...

I promise not to duck.