Author Topic: Backpacking Stove?  (Read 24262 times)

Racehorse

• friend
Backpacking Stove?
« on: April 27, 2009, 04:37:11 PM »
So, I got a $100 gift card from work for my 4-year anniversary. I'm thinking of using it to get a backpacking stove. I had an older version of this: http://www.campingaz.com/p-23512-twister-plus.aspx. It decided to break on my last backpacking trip and gave me a 3-foot yellow flame that caused the stove to self-immolate. That resulted in having to hike back out that night because we couldn't cook anything.

Because of this experience, my main concern is reliability/durability. Secondary concerns are weight, speed of cooking, and ease of use.

I've seen the JetBoil stoves. They look cool, but seem a little too specialized to boiling water. Plus, they seem a little overpriced to me. Several of the MSR stoves look pretty good, but I'm having a hard time getting a feel for how they perform in actual usage.

I'd also welcome any recommendations on liquid fuel vs canisters. I like the convenience of the canisters, but there are advantages to the liquid fuel, as well.

What do y'all think?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Backpacking Stove?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 04:44:01 PM »
That's too bad yours broke.  I have a very similar model I bought back in 1998 or so, still running strong.  Also the matching single mantle lantern that goes with it... uses the same fuel.

I have no fear of CampinGaz stuff breaking.  I was really concerned when Coleman bought them 3-4 years ago and temporarily yanked the fuel from the US market, but it's back now again.  I'd strongly suggest a new CampinGaz stove.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 04:47:07 PM »
I have a Snowpeak gigapower stove (canister) and Optimus Nova Multi fuel jet stove.

If I was to buy another stove I'd get an MSR Simmerlite. I want to be able to simmer to cook sometimes.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 04:50:15 PM »
I have had an MSR Whisperlite for 7-8 years now. Never had a moment's trouble with it, though I run white gas through it exclusively.

It's difficult to control the heat output, but it can be done with practice. At first, it's either off or jet engine.  :laugh:

I have always preferred liquid fuel. Measure out what I need + some extra, and all is well. Hard to tell how much is in those canisters at times, I have heard. I also like the ability to use the liquid fuel bottles indefinitely.

Learning how to prime it can be...interesting.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 04:51:42 PM »
That's too bad yours broke.  I have a very similar model I bought back in 1998 or so, still running strong.  Also the matching single mantle lantern that goes with it... uses the same fuel.

I have no fear of CampinGaz stuff breaking.  I was really concerned when Coleman bought them 3-4 years ago and temporarily yanked the fuel from the US market, but it's back now again.  I'd strongly suggest a new CampinGaz stove.

I bought mine around 1993. It was a great stove until it broke. What makes me a little hesitant to get another CampinGaz is that the break was just kind of random. It was working fine one minute, I heard a high-pitched ping, and then it turned into a flame thrower. I guess I won't write them off entirely, though.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 04:55:30 PM »
MSR.

The ones I've used have been bullet proof.

Fast, easy to use, reliable as hell.

I dislike the stoves that run off of speciality bottles of butane.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 06:30:26 PM »
my msr burns anything and is 15 years old  survived my abuse and being loaned out
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 07:03:02 PM »
Sounds like MSR is the consensus so far, along with a preference for liquid fuel. Is the only complaint about the canisters that it's hard to tell how much is left or is there another reason most of you prefer the liquid fuel types?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 07:26:19 PM »
If I was going to use a white gas stove the Simmerlight is the way I would go.

If you want to continue to use a cannister stove look at the MSR Windpro. The Jetboil is basically for boiling water. I've cooked up eggs in the Jetboil GCS but the center of the pot is much hotter than the perimeter. For real cooking go Windpro.

For real cold temperatures go the white gas route otherwise the isobutane stoves are fine.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 08:09:19 PM »
Another vote for MSR.  I've had a whisperlite for about 13 years now and it works great.  Priming is entertaining at first but it's a good stove.  I like white gas more then Canister because it's les temperature sensitive. 

I can't find it online right now, but I bought a stove base to go with mine at REI.  It's blue plastic and holds both the stove and bottle securely.  This base is worth it's weight in gold for ease of cooking, and pumping while the stove is on.  I'll try and dig it out and get you a pic.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 08:12:09 PM »
I've thought about one of these too.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=550B725&categoryid=2005&brand=

If I could find an Peak one 400 for decent price I'd probably snatch one up.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 08:59:26 PM »
Suggestion:

Buy a pound of coffee in a can.

Cut the ends off, cut a hole in one side, and punch holes around both ends, sufficient for ventilation.

Feed it twigs and sticks.

Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 09:10:29 PM »
Another vote for MSR.  I have the XGK. Don't know if they make it anymore. It's loud as a jet engine, but will burn most any fuel. I highly recommend spending the extra few bucks for the foldable heat shield -- makes a big difference in boiling time in really cold weather. You could probably fashion one out of aluminum foil as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 09:32:24 PM »
I'd also welcome any recommendations on liquid fuel vs canisters. I like the convenience of the canisters, but there are advantages to the liquid fuel, as well.

What do y'all think?

If you're going to be out in cold weather or higher altitudes get the liquid fuel stoves. Butane and propane sucks under both conditions. In most cases you also have and advantage of using multi-fuels in liquid fuels stoves.

I'd recommend the MSR first and the Coleman Apex II dual-fuel as a second choice.

The MSRs will burn just about anything you can light a match to.

The Coleman can burn either Coleman fuel/white gas, avgas or unleaded. Kerosene too if you buy the separate generator.

http://cascadedesigns.com/MSR/Stoves/Expedition-Stoves/XGK-EX/product

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=445A725
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 11:12:39 PM »
Svea 123. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svea_123

Now made by Optimus
http://www.optimus.se/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55&Itemid=98

I have seen MSRs fail from dirty fuel.  A little beach sand turns them into a leaking, raging inferno.
Propane is, well, okay if you want limit trips to summertime.
Avoid the hype and get something that works.

Highly recommended...
http://www.thebackpacker.com/gear/stoves/svea_123.php

A little loud, fun to light, unchanged design since... uh... forever.
And +1 on a heat shield.  Can realistically cut fuel use by 40%.  I lost mine.

Why haven't you seen the advertisements?  Because they aren't needed.

Svea 123
7-11 was a part time job.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 11:18:10 PM »
I have a Whisperlite International and a Pocket Rocket. Both are nice stoves. My Scout Troop used Whisperlites, I can't recall ever having an issue with any of them.

My mom has a Svea 123 that she bought about 30 years ago. It's still running.

trapperready

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 11:33:56 PM »
I've got an MSR Whisperlite that's probably 20 years old or so. A couple years ago, I picked up an MSR Dragonfly, mostly for the multi-fuel capability. I like them both, although it seems like the Dragonfly heats a bit quicker and is easier to maintain a lower flame if needed.

Since I'm getting ready for a multiple-day camping trip with the spawn, I cooked breakfast with the Dragonfly this morning. I'd almost forgotten how much I like using it!

BTW, I like the post that says that "priming is entertaining". It does take a bit of getting used to, but after a couple times, you get the hang of things and it becomes second nature. Just make sure that you and your gear are slightly upwind from the stove and all will be fine.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 11:54:43 PM »
Oh, and I've got a 10,000 BTU heater that can be turned to run vertically. I hook it up next to the 20# propane tank.

That I carry in the trailer.

With the big Coleman suitcase stove.

And a propane torch for lighting cigars, campfires, and random spotted owls.

And floppy disks.

Blog under construction

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 01:46:48 AM »
Am I the only one who still uses the small WWII U.S. Army backpack gasoline stove?

I liked mine so much, I even bought a backup, a Coleman Peak One, which looks and works surprisingly like the original military version.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 01:57:51 AM »
I use a Peak 1, actually, though not often.  I usually just make a wood fire, and save the Peak 1 for when I can't get a fire going, or in case they have fire restrictions in the area.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 08:05:17 AM »
Maybe some qualifying questions should have been asked in advance.

How long are your backpack trips generally?

Do you backpack when the temperatures dip below freezing?

Do you need to cook requiring flame control or are you primarily boiling water?

My buddy has an old Peak One stove we use when temps are going to go below freezing and/or we will need to melt snow for water. It came with an aluminum case to put it for carry. Otherwise I just bring my Jetboil.

Generally I just eat Backpacker Pantry or Mountain House meals out of the bag when backpacking. The Jetboil works fine for that application.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 08:10:17 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 08:13:10 AM »
Am I the only one who still uses the small WWII U.S. Army backpack gasoline stove?

Someone gave me one several years ago, at best I could get it to burn at a 4' flame out the top. I tried to rebuild it but no luck, still get a 4' flame. Not sure if I still have it or I tossed it out.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Clem

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 08:22:47 AM »
There are a number of good stoves available. The problem is that many of them have at least one major weakness. MSR makes great stoves. I really like the XGK EX. Problem is, it not only won’t simmer, it and all MSR gas stoves use a plastic pump. The pump may be fine, but I don’t trust plastic.

The stove that I think comes closest to the optimum is the Optimus Nova. It has a metal pump, burns white gas as well as diesel fuel, and will actually simmer. It also folds up into nice and compact for storate/travel.

http://www.optimus.se/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=32

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 08:24:56 AM »
Suggestion:

Buy a pound of coffee in a can.

Cut the ends off, cut a hole in one side, and punch holes around both ends, sufficient for ventilation.

Feed it twigs and sticks.

I'm with bogie.  I've used them before just by cutting a hole in the side to feed twigs into it.  Use the actual bottom as the top, it retains alot of heat and cooks surprisingly fast.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/1984-03-01/Make-It-and-Take-It-Hobo-Stove.aspx
Another one I love is the esbit stove.  Requires fuel normally, but in a pinch can be used with a small protected fire.  Along with a small metal pot, its a great way to heat personal meals, coffee and soup.
http://www.rei.com/product/653343
I have one of these,
http://www.deltagear.us/FireStarting/Stoves/CanteenCupStand.htm
I don't really do any backpacking anymore, I use it as a day hike stove in the winter when I'm flyfishing so I can have a warm cup of joe or tea at lunch.  If I were backpacking with it, I'd carry a piece of heavy foil to put underneath it to help contain the heat.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 11:12:49 AM »
Maybe some qualifying questions should have been asked in advance.

How long are your backpack trips generally?

Do you backpack when the temperatures dip below freezing?

Do you need to cook requiring flame control or are you primarily boiling water?

My buddy has an old Peak One stove we use when temps are going to go below freezing and/or we will need to melt snow for water. It came with an aluminum case to put it for carry. Otherwise I just bring my Jetboil.

Generally I just eat Backpacker Pantry or Mountain House meals out of the bag when backpacking. The Jetboil works fine for that application.
My trips are generally 3-5 nights.
I do backpack when it dips below freezing.
I would prefer some flame control, as I usually cook fish, etc. and I like to experiment with different kinds of food.

Thanks for all the recommendations and comments. I'm probably going to go to REI and check out some stoves tomorrow night. Based on what I've seen so far, I think I'm leaning toward an MSR Whisperlite or Simmerlite, although the SVEA looks interesting, too.

I'm not really interested in any kind of wood fired/coffee can thing. I can cook over a fire if I need to, and have done it in the past. But it's a pain in the butt and leaves soot all over everything. The stoves are a lot faster, cleaner, and easier.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 11:17:19 AM by Racehorse »