Author Topic: how can smugglers be so stupid?  (Read 6383 times)

jackdanson

• friend
Re: how can smugglers be so stupid?
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2009, 03:39:22 PM »
Why must all of our conversations turn into gay rape? =D

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2009, 06:13:34 PM »
I'm in the same boat as LS: not approving of prison rape, but wondering how I can do so without appearing to be in MB's camp.  ;)

IMO, prisoners are wards of the state (duh).  As such, it is the state's responsibility to provide for their security...all the way around:
1. Security of public from prisoners
2. Security of guards from prisoners
3. Security of prisoners from prisoners

A sentence of X number of years ought not be a death sentence because a prison is run so that HIV+ prisoners can rape one another. 

Personally, I am in favor of solitary confinement (with a webcam in each cell) for each & every prisoner for the whole length of their sentence.  They get an hour of exercise in the sunlight per day in a dog-run-like space, permanently installed simple exercise equipment in the cell like pull up bars, dip bars, etc., and a copy of the KJV.  They can stay fit and not be subject to violence by other prisoners or unjustified violence by guards while they have PLENTY of "me time" to contemplate their crimes & life.

+1

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

zahc

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2009, 06:37:06 PM »
+2

I'd rather that than anything else if I went to prison. Except I hate the KJV.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2009, 06:44:10 PM »
+3....except I'd go with the NLV....uses everyday language....

Well, the third option leaves you dead, so I'd feel bad laughing.

That's why I'm looking at options 4 and 5....but then, we all gotta go sometime.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2009, 08:23:02 PM »
Why must all of our conversations turn into gay rape?

I'm pretty sure it's not intentional.  The topic just seems to creep in through the back door.  :rolleyes:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2009, 09:09:21 PM »
+2

I'd rather that than anything else if I went to prison. Except I hate the KJV.

Shoot, I'm kind, open hearted, and liberal. I'd amend that to give them any religious or irreligious text they prefer... Torah...any version of Bible they prefer... Koran...Lord of The Rings...or Darwin's Theory...
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2009, 11:01:13 PM »
I'm in the same boat as LS: not approving of prison rape, but wondering how I can do so without appearing to be in MB's camp.  ;)

Pretty much. I also kind of agree with LadySmith. But I think there's a difference between "not caring" and "encouraging."

IMO, prisoners are wards of the state (duh).  As such, it is the state's responsibility to provide for their security...all the way around:
1. Security of public from prisoners
2. Security of guards from prisoners
3. Security of prisoners from prisoners

A sentence of X number of years ought not be a death sentence because a prison is run so that HIV+ prisoners can rape one another. 

Yep, especially with all the asinine things one gets put in jail for these days.

Personally, I am in favor of solitary confinement (with a webcam in each cell) for each & every prisoner for the whole length of their sentence.  They get an hour of exercise in the sunlight per day in a dog-run-like space, permanently installed simple exercise equipment in the cell like pull up bars, dip bars, etc., and a copy of the KJV.  They can stay fit and not be subject to violence by other prisoners or unjustified violence by guards while they have PLENTY of "me time" to contemplate their crimes & life.

Doesn't extended forced solitary tend to drive people insane? Also, meals.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2009, 11:14:13 PM »
As I've mentioned in other threads, we had a couple of drug wholesalers operating out of my old neighborhood. They sold to the street dealers.

It took well over a year for the police to get a warrant. Once they did, they found every cupboard and closet filled with cash.

The two punks who ran the place probably could have gotten away with it for a long time, but they were too high-profile with their Jaguars and Cadillacs, and their attitudes. If they hadn't been so flashy and obvious, the neighbors wouldn't have noticed, and without the pressure from and cooperation of the neighbors, the police wouldn't have been able to get a warrant.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2009, 01:19:52 AM »
What JFruser said, except with KJV replaced with "access to a prison library catalogue."
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2009, 01:43:55 AM »
As I've mentioned in other threads, we had a couple of drug wholesalers operating out of my old neighborhood. They sold to the street dealers.

It took well over a year for the police to get a warrant. Once they did, they found every cupboard and closet filled with cash.

The two punks who ran the place probably could have gotten away with it for a long time, but they were too high-profile with their Jaguars and Cadillacs, and their attitudes. If they hadn't been so flashy and obvious, the neighbors wouldn't have noticed, and without the pressure from and cooperation of the neighbors, the police wouldn't have been able to get a warrant.

I wonder if it'd be morally wrong to rob this type of house?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2009, 02:30:58 AM »
Doesn't extended forced solitary tend to drive people insane?

I'd still prefer to see it as the norm, with varying amounts of access to a common area as the reward for good behavior.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2009, 01:06:22 PM »
Sooooo...... If the "norm" is something that causes insanity, wouldn't that mean most prisoners would become wards of the state? Instead of doing your time and getting out, you go mad and .gov is responsible for you for the rest of your life? Seems a bit foolish to me, IF (and I still don't know if this is true) long forced periods of solitary confinement tend to cause mental instability.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2009, 01:14:27 PM »
Pretty much. I also kind of agree with LadySmith. But I think there's a difference between "not caring" and "encouraging."

Exactly. I don't hope that anyone gets raped when they go to prison. Nor am I happy, thrilled or titillated when it happens, even to particularly vicious criminals.

I'm just saying that I do not care when people like Jeffrey Dahmer get beaten to death.
A horrible person died a horrible death? Meh. I have litter boxes to clean.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2009, 01:27:08 PM »
Exactly. I don't hope that anyone gets raped when they go to prison. Nor am I happy, thrilled or titillated when it happens, even to particularly vicious criminals.

I'm just saying that I do not care when people like Jeffrey Dahmer get beaten to death.
A horrible person died a horrible death? Meh. I have litter boxes to clean.

The problem I have is the really hard, insane killer types rarely get the beating death treatment. It's more often some guy who's in for drugs or something who gets beaten, raped, and turned from stupid kid ino hardened criminal (or just dies from hiv).

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2009, 01:38:55 PM »
But I think there's a difference between "not caring" and "encouraging."

The problem, I think is when people don't care what gets done to you, you're open to it. Some people imagine prison inmates as evi hardbitten criminals and don't care what gets done to them, so sometimes injustices aren't investigated as thoroughly as they should be.

This is a general problem of modern society, I think - lack of compassion. It manifests often, not just in this case.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2009, 02:24:23 PM »
The problem I have is the really hard, insane killer types rarely get the beating death treatment. It's more often some guy who's in for drugs or something who gets beaten, raped, and turned from stupid kid ino hardened criminal (or just dies from hiv).

I agree with you there.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).