Author Topic: how can smugglers be so stupid?  (Read 6382 times)

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
how can smugglers be so stupid?
« on: May 01, 2009, 07:42:34 PM »
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090501/D97TMICG0.html

From the AP:

Drug smugglers from Mexico move into NM town
By ALICIA A. CALDWELL
COLUMBUS, N.M. (AP) - This dusty little border town with almost no visible means of support has been seeing something of a boom in the past year: Brand-new Lincoln Navigators and Cadillac Escalades with flashy hubcaps are parked just off the bleak main drag. Homes are selling quickly, sometimes for cash. The source of this sudden wealth? An influx of Mexican drug smugglers, investigators say.

The smugglers are fleeing the Mexican army's occupation of the town of Palomas, on the other side of the U.S.-Mexico border fence, and settling in Columbus, where there has been a law enforcement vacuum. The four-man police force in Columbus has turned over seven times in three years because of scandal or apathy.

"We know the names of the people," said Luna County Sheriff Raymond Cobos, who is based in Deming, 35 miles away. "I know that if I were a person involved in criminal activity, whether it's drug-related, human smuggling related, I certainly would welcome the absence of police."

So far, Columbus has been spared any violence, even though the sheriff's investigators estimate 10 percent of the population of 2,000 may be involved in illegal activity.

"I would say greater," said resident Robert Odom. "If a person wanted to, they could make a good living in Columbus - not legally, but they can make a lot of money if they are willing to risk going to jail."

Ranches and farms in the area are the largest legitimate employers, along with the few shops and cafes in town. Officially, the median income is less than $15,000 a year, a sum that is hard to reconcile with the sudden prosperity around town.

"There's a lot of people who don't work but have a lot of possessions," Odom said, adding that he often spots local teens driving fancy new cars. "They have hubcaps that cost more than my truck."

Real estate agent Martha Skinner, a former Columbus mayor, said she had her best year in 2008, selling about $500,000 in property in town, some to locals, some to Mexican buyers. The median home value in Columbus is about $52,000.

She said she had a few cash transactions where she couldn't help thinking, "Well, where did they get this money?"

Some residents and local officials say that without the illegal cash, the town might not survive.

Last month, Columbus got a new police chief, Angelo Vega, who said any illegal activity will be met with jail time. "This is a new day for Columbus," he declared.

In Palomas, the Mexican army took over law enforcement a year ago after the local police force was driven out by the drug dealers...

If you're going to risk life, limb, and jail time with homosexual rapists to do highly illegal crap like smuggle drugs then common sense says you should be smart enough to realize that you need to keep your operations a secret. Otherwise you won't last very long. I'm sorry that I couldn't find pictures.

Comments? Anyone here from New Mexico? The rest of the article is at the linked site.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: how can smugglers be so stupid?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 07:55:40 PM »
But figuring out how to make the money seem legit could be a lot of hard work.  Might as well just go straight.   =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 07:56:22 PM »
People in the criminal trades are rarely very bright.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 07:56:44 PM »
They're displaying typical hood mentality.

They usually don't have any knowledge of economics. They don't learn it growing up poor and aren't taught it in school. So when they get their hands on large amounts of cash, it's all about instant gratification. I call it The Scarface Syndrome. Get it (wealth, power and women), flaunt it and fight to keep it.

What's the threat of doing jail time when they don't expect to live long anyway?

Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 08:14:02 PM »
But figuring out how to make the money seem legit could be a lot of hard work.

I can think of a million ways to do it without a whole lot of work. I won't post them here.

What's the threat of doing jail time when they don't expect to live long anyway?

This: that if they do get caught they will probably be raped.

LadySmith

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 09:25:46 PM »
This: that if they do get caught they will probably be raped.

Then explain recidivism.

Also, these guys have wealth, money, power, access to drugs and extreme tendencies toward violence.
Those aren't necessarily lost when they get locked up.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 09:33:16 PM by LadySmith »
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 09:31:57 PM »
Are people seriously cheering on prison rape as a factor in crime reduction?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

LadySmith

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 09:34:35 PM »
Are people seriously cheering on prison rape as a factor in crime reduction?

I hope not because it's obviously not worked too well so far.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 09:35:57 PM »
Well, the smugglers don't care if nobody is going to move against them.

Last month, Columbus got a new police chief, Angelo Vega, who said any illegal activity will be met with jail time. "This is a new day for Columbus," he declared.

Well, he's gonna need willing manpower and a strong force. Does he have that?

The four-man police force in Columbus has turned over seven times in three years because of scandal or apathy.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 09:38:41 PM »

It seriously disturbs me how (and this is not a personal dig on Freedom Lover or anybody else, I don't know what FL's exact views on this are) the same people who will call for horrible punishments for 'sex offenders' of any kind will smirk and pat each other on the back when they talk about prison rape. It's as if lawbreakers were not persons at all.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 11:22:18 AM »
Stupidity is cheap....and crime runs off cheap labor....the smart ones are the ones you'll never hear about...

It seriously disturbs me how (and this is not a personal dig on Freedom Lover or anybody else, I don't know what FL's exact views on this are) the same people who will call for horrible punishments for 'sex offenders' of any kind will smirk and pat each other on the back when they talk about prison rape. It's as if lawbreakers were not persons at all.

Think about it this way....the chances of being prison-raped are significantly lower for people who are NOT in prison....think "natural consequences"....

Moral of the story: DON'T GO TO PRISON.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 11:31:07 AM »
...so it's completely okay with you if it happens to some guy doing time for, say, unlicensed carry?

agricola

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 11:32:18 AM »
People in the criminal trades are rarely very bright.

It would be more correct to say that the people that the police catch are not very bright.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 12:19:27 PM »
...so it's completely okay with you if it happens to some guy doing time for, say, unlicensed carry?

Interpret as you will.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 12:46:45 PM »
Only 4 cops...

Did the advent of insurance premiums ruin the invention of the possee?
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2009, 02:46:17 AM »
Stupidity is cheap....and crime runs off cheap labor....the smart ones are the ones you'll never hear about...

Think about it this way....the chances of being prison-raped are significantly lower for people who are NOT in prison....think "natural consequences"....

When Obama turns your deer rifle into an "eeeeevil sniper rifle for killing cops and children" and you contemplate turning it in or going to prison, I'll think back on this comment and laugh.

Also, did you see the story I posted of the guy who was charged with a felony for using a wifi hotspot?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 03:43:44 AM »
Then explain recidivism.

They ain't there for the huntin'.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 07:42:18 AM »
When Obama turns your deer rifle into an "eeeeevil sniper rifle for killing cops and children" and you contemplate turning it in or going to prison, I'll think back on this comment and laugh.

Who says those are the only two options?.... ;)

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2009, 09:24:04 AM »
Well, the third option leaves you dead, so I'd feel bad laughing.

LadySmith

• friends
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2009, 11:12:55 AM »
They ain't there for the huntin'.

:laugh:
(Yes, that bear hunting story did come to mind.)

But seriously, although prison rape happens, it's not guaranteed and there are ways of protecting yourself.
Just like outside, things can be a lot different when you have money and connections.

And honestly (sorry Micro), there are inmates who have committed crimes so heinous that I absolutely do not care what happens to them. Like John Geoghan, the pedophile priest who wound up being murdered by a cellmate who had been a victim of pedophiles. I can't say I shed a tear over his loss.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009, 11:58:42 AM »

:laugh:
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 01:15:52 PM »
But seriously, although prison rape happens, it's not guaranteed and there are ways of protecting yourself.Just like outside, things can be a lot different when you have money and connections.

Yes, I'm sure the fact wealthy drug dealers escape this crime with ease makes it better.

And honestly (sorry Micro), there are inmates who have committed crimes so heinous that I absolutely do not care what happens to them.

No doubt they exist. Demyanyuk comes to mind. But the problem is with all the other people. Truly heinous subhuman smacktards do not constitute the majority even among criminals, I hope you agree. In my view, we should act to protect the dignity of even people like burglars and con-men (speak not of pot smokers, illegal machinegun owners, and wi-fi users!). Is it too much to say?

LadySmith

• friends
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2009, 01:35:09 PM »
Yes, I'm sure the fact wealthy drug dealers escape this crime with ease makes it better.

The original supposition was that the thought of prison rape should be a deterrent to stupid smugglers.
I'm saying that it obviously is not because we:
a) do have prison rape, but…
b) still have stupid smugglers.
I merely state that prison rape is not an inevitability for all, and therefore not a deterrent for some because there are ways to avoid it.

I don't know where you're coming from by implying that I think those who can escape prison rape "makes it better", other than way out in left field.

Truly heinous subhuman smacktards do not constitute the majority even among criminals, I hope you agree.

I would, except that you tend to make it most unpleasant to agree with you. (See above.)

Is it too much to say?

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2009, 02:16:30 PM »
They can get away with it in the United States because "profiling" is against the law.

I live near a smaller city. On the rare occasions I venture into or through said city, I frequently see YOUNG men of various minority ethnicity, wearing huge tee shorts and sporting multiple tatoos, cruising around in Bimmers and Mercedes, with tires and wheels that must have doubled the cost of the vehicle. If you listen to these "gentlemen" speak, it's obvious they were allowed to graduate the eighth grade only to rid the school of another headache. There is no way these clowns can have credit, so how are they buying cars that I, as a licensed professional for more than 20 years, can only read about in Car & Driver? Obviously, they are selling drugs. But -- the courts have ruled that police cannot rely on the obvious in forming a "reasonable suspicion" regarding an individual and suspected criminal activity. My brother used to work on a BMW dealership. He said it was not uncommon to have a 19-year old walk in and plunk down $80,000 in cash for a new Bimmer. Everyone knew where the money came from ... and nobody could do anything about it.

As in many things, that's a two-edged sword. Where the need for a reasonable suspicion to be based on concrete facts protects law-abiding citizens (like me) from police harassment, it's a good thing. When it prevents the police from targeting "yutes" who are OBVIOUSLY drug dealers (unless they are commodities traders), it's a bad thing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2009, 03:06:18 PM »
I'm in the same boat as LS: not approving of prison rape, but wondering how I can do so without appearing to be in MB's camp.  ;)

IMO, prisoners are wards of the state (duh).  As such, it is the state's responsibility to provide for their security...all the way around:
1. Security of public from prisoners
2. Security of guards from prisoners
3. Security of prisoners from prisoners

A sentence of X number of years ought not be a death sentence because a prison is run so that HIV+ prisoners can rape one another. 

Personally, I am in favor of solitary confinement (with a webcam in each cell) for each & every prisoner for the whole length of their sentence.  They get an hour of exercise in the sunlight per day in a dog-run-like space, permanently installed simple exercise equipment in the cell like pull up bars, dip bars, etc., and a copy of the KJV.  They can stay fit and not be subject to violence by other prisoners or unjustified violence by guards while they have PLENTY of "me time" to contemplate their crimes & life.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton