Author Topic: M1 Accessories, loads?  (Read 4728 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
M1 Accessories, loads?
« on: May 05, 2009, 09:56:04 PM »
So I finally got around to ordering a CMP M1. I now have 90-120 days to prepare for its arrival. :)

Any of you M1 owners want to enlighten me on any essential accessories? Not looking for any gimmicky stuff, but potentially handy things like M1 specific pocket multi-tools for the range, stuff like that. I already plan on getting the same web sling for it that I have for my M1A.

Also for reloaders, any suggested loads and bullet weights/types that are particularly conducive to use in the M1? I'm partial to milder loads for longer days at the range, but not so light that they might affect cycling. Reliability is the priority.

Whenever ammo supplies get back to normal, are their any recommended milsurp lots that are better than others that I should be on the lookout for? I saw that CMP has some Greek stuff, but it didn't sound too great.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: M1 Accessories, loads?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 10:02:38 PM »
By all internet reports and all first hand evidence I've seen at Appleseeds, Greek HXP from CMP is fantastic stuff.  Certainly not match grade, but accurate enough and plenty reliable.  Great price, and not a lot of it left.

Get as much as you can afford now, because it's almost gone.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 11:08:11 PM »
By all internet reports and all first hand evidence I've seen at Appleseeds, Greek HXP from CMP is fantastic stuff. 

That's good to know. Goes to show what I know. I reckon it's at least worthwhile for me to try a can or two then. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 02:48:50 AM »
45.5gr IMR4895 behind a 168gr MatchKing is the old reliable Camp Perry load for the M1 Garand.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 08:45:08 AM »
I don't think you will find any better deals on ammo than what the CMP is selling.  They are getting a bit short on ammo and restricting sales also so you might want to get an order in.

I got one of the Grand multi-tools with the chamber brush.  I also have a bunch of the steel clean rods.  I typically use my Otis kit though.  Make sure you get some grease also.  I don't think it really matters what kind.  I just use Hoppes Gun Grease I found at Academy.

If you haven't seen it, CMP has a good pictorial procedure on taking down the rifle and where to put oil and grease when putting it back together.  The mult-tool also helps with taking apart the bolt.

I would also pick up a spare set of springs.  2 out of 3 of my Garands functioned better once I changed out the recoil spring.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 08:52:11 AM »
I'd like to find an original 16-inch M-xxx bayonet for my '03 Springfield and the M1. It would be nice not to have to mortgage my house for it; are they "affordable"? Can they be had for something less than $300?

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 09:45:10 AM »
Just put the ammo order in with CMP.

Thanks for the Camp Perry load G98. I started googling M1 stuff and came across this:

I would not shoot bullets any heavier than a 175gr in a GI gun that I really cared about. People used to shoot the 180 gr MK but, thats before the 175mk came out.
http://www.alabamaservicerifleteam.com/id17.html

Anyone know why this was said? I didn't see an explanation anywhere on the page.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 09:50:09 AM »
Ben, I'm just learning about the M1 Garand myself.  My understanding is that the issue is pressure.  The heavier bullets generate more pressure in the chamber and barrel, and the higher pressure increases the risk of bending the oprod...
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 09:54:30 AM »
If it wasn't already said, the gas system was designed for the ~150 grain military ball ammo.  Modern loads increase the pressure and can bend the op rod. 

My first Garand had a bent operating rod when I bought it (3rd party).  I was a newb and didn't know why it didn't cycle reliably.  I was using surplus ammo.  Finally, I was cycling the action with the stock off and we noticed the op rod was bent and rubbing on other parts.  Got a replacement and it functioned perfectly.  I generally don't blow through too much ammo when I shoot so I have stuck with surplus ammo on my Garands.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 09:56:29 AM »
The single most useful M1 / M14 / M1A accessory I've purchased is a bolt disasembly tool - I have the one MidwayUSA sells - I think it's made by "Baker" but my memory could be faulty - and it works very well. It makes stripping the bolt a snap, rather than a "3-hand" job. (There's also a USGI tool, but those are getting hard to find.)

Front handguard pliers are useful if you're going to be removing the metal from the wood for refinishing or something.

Speaking of which, you may or may not want to refinish the stock - but that all depends on what you see when you open the FedEx box and get the cosmoline cleaned off. My first CMP M1 just needed a little cleanup and a light coat of tung oil, rubbed in by hand . . . but my last two needed a rather aggressive cleaning (as in "dishwasher") and a total refinish with many coats of pure tung oil . . . and lots of elbow grease.

As for handloads . . . the conventional rule of thumb is that no powder slower than IMR4320 should be used. IIRC, the USGI "match" ammo used a 173 grain bullet, so the 175 MKG is a good weight match. If you must shoot heavier bullets or use slower powder, the Schuster gas plug is an option, but you're on your own when it comes to adjustment.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 01:16:13 PM »

Thanks for the Camp Perry load G98. I started googling M1 stuff and came across this:
http://www.alabamaservicerifleteam.com/id17.html

Anyone know why this was said? I didn't see an explanation anywhere on the page.

Good God, be sure you follow that advice, if you don't follow any other advice.

180+ bullet weight will beat the heck out of your Garand.

While we're at it... avoid retail hunting ammo.  It's designed for bolt actions and may use slower powders than the Garand likes, also resulting in damage to the op rod.   I think that Remington and Federal American Eagle make a 150gr FMJ load that is suitable for Garand shooting.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 02:28:52 PM »
Bent oprod and bolt/receiver slamming are the reasons to stay away from loads heavier than 175gr bullet weight, and powders slower than IMR4320.

I avoid powders slower than IMR4064 in my four Garands, and stay between 147-170gr in bullet weight. 

The Sierra 155gr Palma bullet is a pleasant surprise in the M1 Garand. 

PMC made/makes an M1 Garand-specific load, which duplicates M2 Ball and keeps the port pressures in the right range for the M1's gas system.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 02:41:02 PM »
What is the opinion on the adjustable gas plug to be able to shoot commercial ammo?  I have one set at the minimum pressure to cycle a factory loaded CoreLokt 150gr for when I feel like shooting a deer with it.  I go back to the standard gas plug for most shooting using surplus ammo.

One other accessory that cost me about $7 was a modified part that made it so that the clip does not auto eject when empty as well as does not release the bolt automatically when a new clip is inserted.  It saves a bit of hassle on the range and thumb worry.  There is a guy at most gun shows that has one.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 03:18:35 PM »
Buy the CMP Greek ammo- that stuff is great!  Shoots 2" in my service grade.  And respring it, kits from Orion7.  And go here-   http://www.garandcentral.com/     a host of info on Garands, including some basic accurizing tips. I brought a field grade  FROM A 12" HORIZONTAL STRING TO CONSISTANT 3" GROUPS USING THEIR TIPS.  Sorry about the caps, it was an accident.  =)  Garands are very sensitive to wood metal fit. 

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 07:44:49 PM »
The Greek surplus is indeed quite good.  I should get some more before they run out.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 08:16:44 PM »
The Greek surplus is indeed quite good.  I should get some more before they run out.

I have an order in from 2 months ago for a case and a half which will probably be the last of it I'll ever see.  They will get around to processing it someday!

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 11:51:29 PM »
Get a good sling.  Turner Saddlery makes a replica M-1907.  Get a good case.  Learn how to lubricate it and use a good grease on it.  Lubriplate is mentioned often.  I use Tetra grease.  If you plan on shooting in High Power matches, get a couple of two-round clips and a "SLED" single round adapter.  By the way, one can never have too many clips.  I must have a thousand rounds on clips, in bandoliers and I have a .50 cal ammo box full of spare clips and cardboard sleeves.

As other posters have written, 150, 155, 168 and 175 Sierra Match Kings over an appropriate load of IMR4895 (42 to 45 gr. IMR4895, 150 gr SMK) are good loads.  Try some of each and see what you and your M1 like.  I use the CCI #34 primers because they have a thicker cup and simulate GI primers well for floating firing pin guns.  I am fortunate in that there is a county-owned, 100M indoor range just a short drive away and their chronograph rents for five dollars an hour.  I test the loads in a bolt gun (a ninety-year-old M-1903 Springfield!) before I subject the M1 to them.

Russ

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2009, 01:19:25 AM »
Be careful with that Springfield.

Make sure it's a high-number version, or you're doing a totally different type of ballistics test.

Likewise, a high-number Springfield will handle loads that an M1 Garand with its fussy gas system cannot.

Of my 4 Garands, one has a Turner leather M-1907 sling.  The rest have WWII USGI canvas web slings, which I've found to be quieter and more comfortable afield. 

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2009, 04:42:38 AM »

Make sure it's a high-number version, or you're doing a totally different type of ballistics test.

Likewise, a high-number Springfield will handle loads that an M1 Garand with its fussy gas system cannot.

Of my 4 Garands, one has a Turner leather M-1907 sling.  The rest have WWII USGI canvas web slings, which I've found to be quieter and more comfortable afield. 

I recently read a very well-written, researched, cited, backed up and statistically sound article whose conclusion was that worrying about your low-number springfield blowing up is almost silly.  I wish I could find it again I would post it here.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2009, 12:13:38 PM »
Nice thing about the CMP ammo is it solves the clip problem- It is all packed in clips and bandoliers.
 and I believe the Greek cases are reloadable. 
  I second the "get it while the getting is good idea", the recent run on ammo is affecting the CMP also.
  Anybody check out that garand info base link- they have good stuff there! 

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2009, 09:08:59 PM »
I recently read a very well-written, researched, cited, backed up and statistically sound article whose conclusion was that worrying about your low-number springfield blowing up is almost silly.  I wish I could find it again I would post it here.

I read the same article, CNYCacher.  Like you, I can't remember where I ran across it.  It may have been in an American Rifleman or another gun magazine at my barbershop, but I won't swear to it.
The article was well done, very authoritative.  After reading it, I wouldn't worry about shooting a low number '03.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2009, 10:22:45 PM »

Thanks for the warning, Gewehr.  I believe that you can't go over the fundamentals of safety too many times.  It's an SA, S/N 962XXX, well above the 800,000 SA cut-off for "bad" heat treating.  I also got it from CMP who, I believe, will not sell low-number receivers.  It has the original barrel and it's in good condition.  I've never TE'ed it, so I don't know about that but it looks like it was the CO or ROs pet rifle somewhere.

The leather slings are more stable for HP shooting, less stretch and give.  I'm not very good but I enjoy shooting the course "old school".  I live my professional live right out on the "bleeding edge" of technology but I have a wind-up watch, I write with a fountain pen and I shoot M1s and '03s in matches.

Russ

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2009, 12:30:53 AM »
Not true.

CMP will indeed sell low-number Springfields.

They'll also issue a very stern warning not to fire them. You suppose CMP is just fear-mongering?

They're for sale right now:

http://www.thecmp.org/m1903.htm

Having read Julian Hatcher's experiments in shattering a low-number Springfield, I'd love to invite any and all to go ahead and fire M1 or M2 ball in same, but only from a safe distance, string tied to trigger, rifle tied to tire with a tarp or heavy blanket covering the receiver.

My dad has a very low-number 1903.  He shoots it, with my light cast-bullet loads only.  ;)

Produce the article, and link it here.  We'll see if it stacks up to what previous articles written by professionals in the military ordnance chain wrote.  (Hatcher's Notebook being one...)

I hear you on the High Power leather slings.  I used M1907 slings tightened so that my hands nearly turned purple, on both my M1s and M14NM.  Another fond Camp Perry memory, the tingling fingers of starved blood supply...   =D 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 12:34:13 AM by Gewehr98 »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2009, 12:54:34 AM »
Not true.

And the writer of that piece would say the same of your statement, GW98.  I just wish I could remember where I read it.  It was a very well reasoned and informed, in-depth, convincing article.

You suppose CMP is just fear-mongering?

I never said that.  I am sure they are operating with the best information available to them.  But new information becomes available over time, and that is what the article I read provided.
Ah, well.  And yes, I know it doesn't do any good if I can't produce it.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:03:30 AM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2009, 08:25:25 AM »
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage