Author Topic: Looking for a decent power amp  (Read 686 times)

digitalandanalog

• friend
Looking for a decent power amp
« on: May 15, 2009, 10:45:18 PM »
I would like to spend no more than $300. Free shipping would be awesome. =D

I would like something in the neighborhood 150 watts RMS X2 into a 4 ohm load at 20 to 20 khz. It would be used to drive a decent, passive DVC JBL 12'' sub capable of getting down to about 25 hz in its current enclosure. (I build complex speaker systems for fun =D)

Auto on with the reception of a signal would be cool, but not required.

Fan cooled is ok =| considering the potential heat from what I would like powerwise. Fans sooooo suck when I am listening to classical. They just destroy the quiet moments.

Sounds like a lot to ask for in a consumer product, but I figure somebody, somewhere could have what I want.

I have used my google fu for hours and I am pretty sure that I am going to settle on a QSC "GX3", but I would like other viable options. Anyone know of any reliable, yet inexpensive electronics dealers that are buried in google search returns?

I know I must have missed a few points, but this a good start.

Thanks for any help you can give.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

KPT

Re: Looking for a decent power amp
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 01:41:11 AM »
Go pro, don't waste your money on consumer gear for powering subs.

I own two Crown amps but you can't go wrong with QSC. I saw an older QSC on craigslist locally for $50 and may pick it up even though I don't need another amp.

Both my Crown's are actively cooled but the fans only come on when the heat is above a certain threshold. If you are listening to music quiet enough where you would hear the fan it won't come on often (on my amps the fan will come on periodically when the amp is idle).

I have too much in one setup; two 15"s and one of the Crown's giving them 660 watts each. The granite around the fireplace in the room cracked and a chunk fell out. It may have been the 10 hz sine waves  ;/

Crown and other manufactures have models that are passively cooled if fan noise is that big an issue though.

If you are not aware, you can run into issues of unbalanced consumer gear not having enough signal voltage for balanced pro gear. Not a huge issue, there are many ways around this.

digitalandanalog

• friend
Re: Looking for a decent power amp
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 07:17:24 PM »
I gots me a Crown as well. :cool: It powers my two 15'' subs, but I don't use them unless I am looking for some major volume.

I want to run the 12'' sub most of the time for casual listening and quiet movie time.

Trust me. I know fully well the differences between consumer gear and pro stuff. I have years of experience with both.

I was just hoping some of the APSers might have the same kind of love for electronics and know where to find good deals that don't just pop out at ya when doing a search.