Author Topic: Storefront costs vs. internet ordering costs  (Read 4619 times)

digitalandanalog

• friend
Storefront costs vs. internet ordering costs
« on: May 19, 2009, 03:45:52 PM »
I'm taking the plunge and going with a A/V receiver that lists around $1000 on the manufacturers website.

I googled for hours (deciding on brands and features) and found a place in NYC that is selling it NIB for $615. No tax and free shipping to boot.

But I still figured I would look around the local stores. We are bit limited here and Best Buy is pretty much the big fish in a little pond.

They can get the same receiver for me. $949 plus 9.25% tax. And it would have to be ordered.

Sorry storefront business. I love ya, but $421 is a lot of money to me and I would be better off not giving it to you.

That kind of savings just paid for my eye exam and new glasses.

I love teh interwebz.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Storefront costs vs. internet ordering costs
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 03:51:20 PM »
A) Whadja get?

B) Where is this "place in NYC"?  Do some independent checking and make sure it's actually a place, not a scam site to collect your CC data.  While not unheard of for places like NewEgg and the like, a full third off the mfg list with no shipping charges is still enough to put the red flag on standby.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 03:52:16 PM »
How would you check? I suppose if they listed a number you could call....

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 03:53:15 PM »
It could be one of those crappy "electronics" stores in Brooklyn that sell gray market stuff.  They're (in)famous in the photography world.  Smile Camera is one of the shops.

Chris

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 03:55:28 PM »
It could be one of those crappy "electronics" stores in Brooklyn that sell gray market stuff.  They're (in)famous in the photography world.  Smile Camera is one of the shops.

Chris

Grey market?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 03:58:27 PM »
legitimate products sold outside their intended market.  Example would be a Nikon camera intended for Europe.  It's a real nikon, but the warranty isn't valid.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 03:59:04 PM »
Gray market stuff tends to be cheaper, but you frequently won't get any support from the manufacturer if you have problems.

Chris

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 04:01:20 PM »
Interesting. The price of used, but in new condition? And it's not illegal?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 04:07:43 PM »
Yes and yes.

Chris

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 04:07:53 PM »
Indeed, I did call. I wanted to verify that it was in stock.

I am going with Yamaha in the form of their RX-V863. 105w times seven full bandwidth rated power. Assignable amp sections for versatility like bi-amping. Capable of outputting all video inputs into the component output for a single cable run to the T.V. will be nice. Multiple E.Q. options always push my buttons :laugh:

I have never owned Yamaha before, but I have heard good things about them

Anybody wanna buy a two year old Onkyo TX-RS575? =D

Actually, I think I will put the Onkyo in the office/computer room. It will produce much better sound than the little sub/satellite set I inherited.

It will be nice to have a better than so so receiver again.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 04:21:24 PM »
I'd imagine a lot of the Ebay sellers are like that as well, eh? Such as this or this, right?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 04:24:11 PM »
Nope, both mention a US warranty.  "Gray market" stuff usually doesn't have a US warranty.  There might be a warranty offered by the seller (at some cost), but not an official manufacturer's warranty.

Chris

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 04:29:35 PM »
Indeed, I did call. I wanted to verify that it was in stock.

I am going with Yamaha in the form of their RX-V863. 105w times seven full bandwidth rated power. Assignable amp sections for versatility like bi-amping. Capable of outputting all video inputs into the component output for a single cable run to the T.V. will be nice. Multiple E.Q. options always push my buttons :laugh:

I have never owned Yamaha before, but I have heard good things about them

Anybody wanna buy a two year old Onkyo TX-RS575? =D

Actually, I think I will put the Onkyo in the office/computer room. It will produce much better sound than the little sub/satellite set I inherited.

It will be nice to have a better than so so receiver again.

I have an older Yamaha amp (RX-V595a), and it's been great. The sound quality is fantastic, at least to my non-audiophile ears. Mine only delivers 70W per channel, but that gets it more than loud enough for my taste. I don't think I've ever turned the volume beyond the halfway point. Besides that, I've had it for about 10 years of somewhat rough treatment, and it still works as well as when I bought it.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 04:30:25 PM »
Hmmmm, so how do the ebay vendors manage those prices? Or are they still higher than grey market?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 04:32:55 PM »
No clue.  Probably by not having any expenses at all other than the gear.  The Gray Market folks frequently have storefronts.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 04:37:55 PM »
There used to be a couple articles online on how these shops did what they did, but I can't find them.

I pretty much stick to places like B&H, Adorama, Amazon, etc. 

Chris

zahc

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 04:51:34 PM »
I'm the same way with stores vs. internet. Some people present the case that compared to the internet ordering, the brick-and-mortar store offers convenience, expertise, and instant gratification. In my experience it's more like I have to drive in Dallas traffic, then deal with waiting in line and all, and you still have to research your purchase on the internet anyway because the people in the store are morons, and then they have to order it for you anyway because they don't actually have anything. There are exceptions, but for the most part the brick-and-mortar stores deserve the business lost to the internet.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 05:08:40 PM »
I'm the same way with stores vs. internet. Some people present the case that compared to the internet ordering, the brick-and-mortar store offers convenience, expertise, and instant gratification. In my experience it's more like I have to drive in Dallas traffic, then deal with waiting in line and all, and you still have to research your purchase on the internet anyway because the people in the store are morons, and then they have to order it for you anyway because they don't actually have anything. There are exceptions, but for the most part the brick-and-mortar stores deserve the business lost to the internet.

+1. I shop on the internet whenever possible for the same reasons. Store employees (generally) just don't have a clue, and I usually know far more than they do about what I'm buying.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 05:10:42 PM »
+1. I shop on the internet whenever possible for the same reasons. Store employees (generally) just don't have a clue, and I usually know far more than they do about what I'm buying.

It's not just that. Store employees will often outright lie to cover their lack of knowledge. I can't count how many times I've had a store employee tell me something that was blatantly untrue just to be able to "answer" my question.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 05:47:09 PM »
Best Buy is expensive. Also, have you researched the NYC online store? Are they listed on some ratings sites such as Resellerratings.com?

There are some online retailers who somehow manage to stay in business, although I don't know how. Botach Tactical comes to mind.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 05:59:32 PM »
Best Buy is expensive. Also, have you researched the NYC online store? Are they listed on some ratings sites such as Resellerratings.com?

There are some online retailers who somehow manage to stay in business, although I don't know how. Botach Tactical comes to mind.

Resellerratings.com is usually an excellent resource for checking out online vendors.

Digital, what's the name of the vendor?

I buy almost all my electronics online. The B & M's usually don't have it, or it is way overpriced. Most of the time when I do buy something on the web, I can get free shipping and have it in two or three dys.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 06:03:16 PM »
I've heard REI has a pretty extensive training program for their employees, but as a general rule most are indeed clueless drones.

Some things (clothes, shoes) it really is better and easier to buy B&M. But generally I online shop these days.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 10:03:55 PM »

A big ol' plus one.

Also, if I want it "as fast as possible," the 'net is usually the way to go.  What with two kids a full time+ job, and my wife in nursing school, I rarely have time to shop around locally.  It is almost certain that I will get something ordered off the net before i can find the time to hunt it down locally.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 10:39:08 PM »
Digital, what's the name of the vendor?

Place called Lorimer Electronics. I called (the second time) and they said that they are an authorized dealer of Yamaha.

I am not feeling too bad about this. I received an order confirmation via email. Being able to actually talk to a real person and everything seeming to be on the up and up in the web world has me at little fear that this is a bad deal.

I contacted an unknown dealer of music and movies in Ohio a few months ago to buy a NIB DVD of "Diary of a Hitman" that they listed for $3. Yes, I said $3.

I called. They had it, I ordered. $3 for the movie and a nominal charge to ship. I had it in less than a week.

Same circumstances this time around too...just a lot bigger and more expensive.

Besides which, it is up to the credit card company to attack a fraudulent business for theft of monies via undelivered product.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 02:45:54 PM »
I Googled "Lorimer Electronics".  They sure don't have much of a web presence, either for their "store" or from consumers.  You'd think someone with that level of price competitiveness would be all over the net, especially from home theater enthusiasts.

I'd still be a little leery.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB