Author Topic: I just changed my oil and used a FRAM filter...  (Read 4299 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: I just changed my oil and used a FRAM filter...
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2009, 01:15:45 PM »
Yes, and every day thousands of people drive Fords and don't sit by the side of the road, but some do.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly WHAT you were attempting to "prove" with your lottery comment response to my recounting my EXPERIENCE with my Plymouth?

That somehow one person's experience with one car over one decade doesn't provide adequate data to either prove or disprove a position?

Even the basest fool should be able to recognize that without having to have it called out for him with some bullshit lottery analogy designed primarly to indicate that you apparently believe you have testicles of enormous girth or something.

Sheesh yourself.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 01:20:22 PM »
That, and they have no built in mechanism to maintain pressure (aka anti-siphon). 
This may or may not matter, depending on many things, including:

That depends on the filter.  FRAM filters that are specified for engines need the anti-siphon feature have it.  The toughguard has a better anti-siphon feature than some of the other brands, and very much better than the baseline FRAM.

As to whether it needs it or not depends on a feature you didn't specify - mounting.  A filter that's screwed on sideways or upside down needs it more than one that has all the holes up.

Additionally, those of us who maintain our own vehicles (for reasons of pride, economic or leisure) may care to know that a hand tightened fram oil filter will deform when fitted with a wrench for removal.  The cases are very thin. 

You should see what I ended up doing to the original toyota filter when I had to pull that off...  It deformed a LOT.  Put the oil filter on right(remember, hand tight and oil the ring), and I normally don't need any tools to get it off.   I now have a claw filter wrench for the other occasions.  If I need it, it's deformed all the other cases breaking the can loose, not just frams.

I figure it doesn't matter - not like I'm putting it back on.  Reading, the fram toughguards use a cellulose/fiberglass filter today, which is pretty much what the good filters on other lines use.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 01:27:04 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out exactly WHAT you were attempting to "prove" with your lottery comment response to my recounting my EXPERIENCE with my Plymouth?

The only complaints I've ever heard about FRAM are about them failing catastrophically due to substandard construction.  Something along the lines of "I just had my oil changed at the Quicky-Lube, and I almost got home when my engine blew up.  Threw a rod right through the block.  Checked the filter and found it was totally clogged because of the thingummy inside wasn't connected properly to the fjorny valve and it fell off and blocked the whole filter.  Now I am suing Quicky-Lube"

Now here comes angry Mike with "I used FRAM for eleventy-thousand miles and experienced minimal engine wear."

Well, that's great.  I am glad that none of the tickets which you bought to the engine failure lottery were winners.

What does any of this have to do with testicles?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2009, 02:23:11 PM »
Sorry to have hit such a nerve.   =|

You guys have at it.  I need to leave.
7-11 was a part time job.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2009, 02:25:14 PM »
I have a 1997 Dodge pickup that I bought in '98 with 24,000 miles on it. I do all my own maintenance and have used Fram filters exclusively. The truck now has 287,000 miles on it, does not use any oil to speak of, 1/2 quart in a 5,000 mile service interval. I think I'll keep doing what seems to be working for me. =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2009, 02:42:28 PM »
Simply put, FRAM works.  I'll never deny that and I used them for some time with no issues.  However, I am of the firm belief there are things out there which simply work better so I choose to use them.  Dino juice also works fine, I choose to use synthetic since it works better.

On my vehicles I use either K&N or NAPA (Wix) filters.  I'll use purolator as well but it's not my first choice.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2009, 02:43:21 PM »
Wow, people are getting really angry over oil filters.   =|
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2009, 02:54:31 PM »
Who knew that asking about this subject would cause tempers to flare.

All I wanted to know was whether or not I had used a sub-standard filter.

Next oil change I will run down the street to the little NAPA.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2009, 02:56:18 PM »
Looks like the question has been answered to the OP's satisfaction. Plenty of linked info for people to read and no more need for flared tempers and name calling. Locked.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."