Author Topic: Army Looks to Keep Troops Forever Young  (Read 3510 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Army Looks to Keep Troops Forever Young
« on: May 29, 2009, 09:27:35 PM »
Army Looks to Keep Troops Forever Young

* By Noah Shachtman Email Author
    * April 24, 2009  |
    * 11:37 am  |
    * Categories: Army and Marines

Katie Drummond is a freelance writer and an intern at WIRED magazine.

The U.S. Army has itself a problem: Its top troops don’t stay young forever. “Highly qualified and very experienced soldiers regularly leave the Army because their physical and/or cognitive performance capabilities are significantly less than
that of a 20 year old,” Army researchers grumble. So they’ve come up with a new research push to fix all that — keeping G.I.s as fresh as the day they entered basic training.

It’s the latest in the Army’s continued efforts to toy with cellular aging. Mitochondria, responsible for converting glucose to energy, slow down as we age. Researchers suspect this deceleration is to blame for declines in physical and cognitive performance in our golden years.  Last January, the Defense Department took note of progress in mitochondrial anti-aging research, and appealed for proposals that would find new ways to revamp our cellular powerhouses. Big-pharma is thinking along similar lines: GlaxoSmithKline has invested $720 million into resveratrol, a compound in red wine that’s been shown to enhance mitochondrial performance and retard age-related ailments.

Of course, the military has tried before to build stronger, longer-lasting soldiers. But, as they point out in their latest request for research proposals, spinach and sit-ups will only get you so far: “At present, individuals attempt to counter their mitochondrial decline with frequent exercise and antioxidants, both of which are crude methods with limited effectiveness.” Now, the army wants to get right to the source, and keep aging soldiers fit for duty with “a more precise methodology to stimulate mitochondrial energy production.” Military researchers liken the process to “replacing zinc carbon batteries with silver oxide batteries – more energy production capacity will enable the warfighter to sustain demanding cognitive or physical activities longer.”

That supercharging could be closer than we think, if the military can combine the potential of resveratrol with the power of the mole rat. In February, biochemists at the University of Texas Science Center expanded the mitochondrial theory, based on a study of the unbreakable proteins in mole rats, who outlive lab mice by around 20 years. Their work suggests that efficient mitochondria and resilient proteins may work in tandem to promote longevity. Scientists are now trying to determine the “protein protectant” that keeps the rats so darn frisky.

A soldier rendered forever young – because of red wine and bald rats? It has the makings of a Jerry Bruckheimer blockbuster, but research is moving so quickly that an anti-aging tonic could soon be on a store shelf. And expect a sell-out. As the Army so astutely observes, “vast numbers of civilians are old".

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/04/army-looks-to-keep-troops-forever-young/

Micro Sez: Two of the world's most powerful forces, US Army vs. aging! Place your bets, gentlemen!
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Army Looks to Keep Troops Forever Young
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 09:59:51 PM »
Didn't they try that in WWII?.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_America
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 11:19:29 PM »
I don't think it has to do with proteins; I think the mole rats simply frighten Death away!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/02/Nacktmull.jpg

A more serious concern is battle fatigue (PTSD, etc).  If I have a 35 yo soldier with the energy and reaction time of a 20 yo, but who is so traumatized by what he has seen and done that he cannot be depended on, what good is it?  Besides, aren't the best soldiers the ones that are likeliest to get promoted, and moved farther and farther from the battlefield?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 12:20:27 AM »
The article didn't really (specifically) address some of the other age related ailments aside from energy production and in addition to what Antibubba mentioned.
What about bones, joints, cartilage and other skeletal components?
What effect might this "Fountain of Youth" drug have in the long run?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 08:09:55 PM »
That's true, but then, aging is a multi-component process. I'm not a biologist, but I read articles by biologists who say the different  components can be addressed separately.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 03:38:39 PM »
...but research is moving so quickly that an anti-aging tonic could soon be on a store shelf.

Not going to happen.  Access to something like this by the average person will not be allowed.  It will be controlled, made available only to the elite, by keeping its cost prohibitively high.
And the justification will be that it is being done for Mother Earth, or some such.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 03:50:37 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 08:00:26 PM »
Not going to happen.  Access to something like this by the average person will not be allowed.  It will be controlled, made available only to the elite, by keeping its cost prohibitively high.

Won't work. There are millions of people going old. If people realize there's a technological achievement that can allow them to stay young for 20, 30 more years, they're going to get it.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 12:34:01 AM »

Won't work. There are millions of people going old. If people realize there's a technological achievement that can allow them to stay young for 20, 30 more years, they're going to get it.

Really?  When in America there are millions of citizens whose entire health-care plan consists of the ER, flu shots at Rite-Aid, and the nearest dental school?  When people in Canada and Britain, who have government guaranteed health coverage, wait years for access to an MRI, and die before they can get operated on after that?  Maybe in the tabloid ads, but not in reality.

Here is what you and I will see: gradual improvements in the quality of life and the life sciences, which will incidentally increase the average life span.  If we assume that the super rich have access to treatments that others do not (and without getting paranoid I think this is a fair assumption), when these procedures are declassified (or leaked, etc) they will have first crack at them.  And assuming the procedure doesn't turn their skin blue or some such, you and I will not know.  I harbor no bitterness about this; this is how it has always worked.

If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 12:43:40 AM »
I'll re-up when they get the Starship Trooper power suits.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 12:48:21 AM »
I'll re-up when they get the Starship Trooper power suits.

I'm holding out on joining until the Halo armor/shields.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 02:24:22 AM »

And the justification will be that it is being done for Mother Earth, or some such.

Just what we need....an eternally-young Al Gore....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 05:32:07 AM »
.  And assuming the procedure doesn't turn their skin blue or some such, you and I will not know.  I harbor no bitterness about this; this is how it has always worked.

Sure. And I have no problem with this.

But you have missed three points:

One is the fact that in the modern era, medical technologies trickle down incredibly fast. The first carotid stent system was approved in 2004. Today its use is rapidly becoming common-place.

Second, the demand for anti-aging technology is beyond vast. People are willing to spend dozens of thousands of dollars upon treatments that help them look or feel younger. The same people will gladly spend that money or more on technology that helps them be younger.

Third, and most important, our society operates today on the assumption that aging is with us to stay. Once the first breakthroughs in that department are made – and with the sheer amount of brilliant researchers plugging away at the different aspects of aging, they will be made – this assumption will change. You will see giant political pressure for it.

The SENS people debate many of these points right here.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 07:26:18 AM »
Maybe the Army should buy the doggies yoga mats. =D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 09:08:10 AM by El Tejon »
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 11:17:28 AM »
Not going to happen.  Access to something like this by the average person will not be allowed. 
If its existence becomes public and it's then deliberately held back . . . think of the '65 Watts and later Rodney King riots going nationwide, spreading to all neighborhoods, and involving all races and ethnicities.

Imagine LEOs and many military - those denied the treatment - joining the rioters, but rather than engaging in random violence, targeting the clinincs/labs where the treatment was available, as well as the politicians who wouldn't share.

A really effective anti-aging treatment would have to be kept secret, and wouldn't be made available to those in the public eye, only those behind the scenes. (Imagine if Robert Byrd or Teddy Kennedy showed up one day looking 40 or 50 years younger . . .  :O )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 11:33:29 AM »
Why would it have to be kept secret? Am I missing something?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 01:18:54 PM »
Second, the demand for anti-aging technology is beyond vast. People are willing to spend dozens of thousands of dollars upon treatments that help them look or feel younger. The same people will gladly spend that money or more on technology that helps them be younger.

One could argue that we already HAVE anti-aging technology and drugs, and they are indeed out in public.  They just haven't been perfected yet.

Consider blood pressure medicine, cholesterol pills, anti-altheimers drugs, etc...

How many seniors are you aware of that AREN'T on half a dozen drugs?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 01:23:30 PM »
Why would it have to be kept secret? Am I missing something?

Well, when they discovered the Fountain of Youth, we decided to keep it secret because - wait, I've said too much, haven't I? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 01:31:13 PM »
Well, when they discovered the Fountain of Youth, we decided to keep it secret because - wait, I've said too much, haven't I? 

Great....just what we need....a fistful that will live forever....  :rolleyes:

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 02:14:09 PM »
One could argue that we already HAVE anti-aging technology and drugs, and they are indeed out in public.  They just haven't been perfected yet.

Consider blood pressure medicine, cholesterol pills, anti-altheimers drugs, etc...

How many seniors are you aware of that AREN'T on half a dozen drugs?

I don't know if those are anti-aging drugs so much as "anti-dying".

Yeah, you may not die, but your body just keeps deteriorating.

In fact, you might call them "pro-aging" drugs.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:18:07 PM by makattak »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 02:44:47 PM »

That's because they aren't perfected yet.  We've managed to slow the descent, not stop it yet.

I fail to see why they'd lock up an even better anti-aging drug.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 02:46:04 PM »

Soemthing tells me a sick body still functions better than a dead body.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 08:26:18 PM »
Getting closer to the concept of the "Universal Soldier"?

Soemthing tells me a sick body still functions better than a dead body.

Screw that. I wouldn't want to live forever or much past the expected lifespan. I can't stand a lot of the changes I've seen in my current lifetime. I'm willing to bet that I won't be able to tolerate much in another 40+ years.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 08:41:03 PM »
Who says the changes will keep up in the same direction?

I want to live free. I want to live in a world AFTER the welfare state, the graduated income tax, and AFTER gun control. I want to have my own brand-new AK-47 with the switch. And given the nature and state of the freedom movement, I'm going to have to wait a long time. People say it'll take 60, 70 years to roll back all of the things the Progressives did. I don't want to be a devastated mess of a man, suffering from six heart conditions at once and drooling on my shirt by the time it's all said and done. I want to still be around to actually enjoy it.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 01:37:00 AM »
...and drooling on my shirt...

I heard you already do that.  =D
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 05:12:51 PM »
I just hope I live until after they've created complete cybernetic bodies, just pop in the brain. Steel and titanium last longer than flesh and bone and can be easily replaced. Imagine a tremendously strong body that could run all day and lift more weight than an athlete. The military could use ones with built in rifle plates. The creation of machines that could quickly convert sugars to electricity would make the organic soldier obsolete.