Author Topic: Why would they ask for this?  (Read 1959 times)

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Why would they ask for this?
« on: May 30, 2009, 01:14:54 PM »
I recently purchased a car from Enterprise car sales. Paid cash.

About a week later I get the title in the mail and a letter telling me to make a copy of the title and send it back to them for their records.

WTF?

In 40 years no car dealer has ever asked for me to make a copy of the title and send it back for their records.

Is there a legitimate reason for them to make this request?
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Why would they ask for this?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 01:50:26 PM »
I would think it would only be for the purpose of obsessive record keeping, as I doubt there is much else they could do with a copy of a title.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 02:33:34 PM »
If they wanted a copy of the title why the heck didn't they make a copy before they sent it to you?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 03:10:43 PM »
They want to see that you transferred the title into your name, officially.  In many states, the courts have held that the previous owner retains liability for what happens with that auto until the title has been officially changed over to the new owner. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 04:14:17 PM »
Did they hit your credit even though you paid cash?
I paid cash for my truck, from a dealer, and even told them not to screw with my credit at all. Of course they ran credit checks and sent me all sorts of finacing papers in the mail.  :mad: buffoons I tell ya, I paid in full the day I bought the truck!!

Back on topic I wouldn't send them anything.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 05:14:44 PM »

Back on topic I wouldn't send them anything.

Maybe an email or letter asking WTH they want a copy of the title for....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 05:26:54 PM »
They want to see that you transferred the title into your name, officially.  In many states, the courts have held that the previous owner retains liability for what happens with that auto until the title has been officially changed over to the new owner. 

That's kind'a what I thought too...

But since I've already transferred the thing and have the new title I see no reason to mail them a copy of it.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 06:18:35 PM »
File 13 their request and see what happents next.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 07:45:37 PM »
That's kind'a what I thought too...

But since I've already transferred the thing and have the new title I see no reason to mail them a copy of it.

On the other hand, what can it hurt to send them a copy? Unless you're just determined to be uncooperative out of some sort of principle. :|
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 09:56:33 PM »
In this state the seller fills out a report of sale, which releases them from liability.

I'd ignore the request just on principal. If they really want a copy they'll follow up.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 11:32:53 PM »
Charge them for it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

tincat2

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 04:09:42 AM »
i would say-the heck w/them. you paid for the vehicle and as far as i know , you have no further obligation to them. if they've got a legitimate interest in obtaining a copy of a title, i figure they can get one from the dmv-you are not in their employ, and if you now have a legit title, you are a principal, not a minion in any dealings someone wants to have w/you over that vehicle.